Author Topic: Engine number and engine capacity.  (Read 4376 times)

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Engine number and engine capacity.
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 11:29:46 PM »
I don't want to hoon along the highway at suicidal speeds. I would like the extra power to crawl around the bush a bit, possibly towing a little trailer.

TT,

If you just want to get around the bush, especially if traveling by yourself, then I would suggest staying away from over powered 1275 type engines.

Having too much horsepower in the bush, especially hilly country around NSW, has two issues.

Too much torque at the wheels in a Moke can mean a lot more wheel spin than you need leaving you at the bottom of any reasonably steep slippery hill. Of course you can gain extra traction by going up backwards, but not a got option with a trailer.

The bigger issue is having the extra HP from a worked 1275 now gives you enough power to break minor items like the ripping the diff out of the housing. With a smaller HP engine in the bush you are going to stall before you break anything major.

A standard 1275 Moke from the factory is fitted with thinner drive shafts than the ones commonly found under most Mokes and Minis. The idea is that when the torque exceeded expectations it would break the drive shaft rather the diff and related items. Most people who transplant a bigger engine I would doubt they replace the shafts to suit, however for most road applications, other than drifting, this probably okay. Diff selection also reduces or increases the risk of hearing bang you don't want to hear.

The other thing to remember the diff and diff housing in your gearbox was designed with tolerances given for a 850-1100cc engine running 10" wheels. Introduction of 1275 and 13" wheels didn't see any major enhancements in the drive train.

So buy your lotto tickets and in the meantime just be smart when driving in the bush.

Try not to travel alone, more fun with more Mokes anyway.
Don't go down any roads/tracks you don't think you can drive back up.
Short slopes can be tackled, but long steep hills may see you run out of ponies before the top. Turn around try again backwards and you will get a 50 odd metres further :-)
Mokes are not 4wd's, but will go many places they can.
Ditched the sump guard, if you have one, and save weight abd gain clearance.

Of course another solution is to convert your output shafts and axles to use the original rubber uni joint set up and they will break before anything else and are easier and cheaper to fix on the side of a bush track :-)

Terry

tt92

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 06:45:36 AM »
Interesting.
Thanks again.

drmini in aust

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 07:01:26 AM »
Ah, so that is why my 998 Moke has a thinner RH driveshaft than a Mini? :?  I wondered why.... :lol:
Kevin G
Hills District, Sydney, NSW

Pilot of Mini HaHa- 1360 wasMatic, had 86.6HP ATW, no hairdryer either...
New 1412 stroker, 114HP & 113lb/ft torque on Graham Russell's engine dyno, now in car. mucho torque...

TasTyger

• Registered Member

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 08:17:23 AM »
Well I got a stock 1275 that I could have just thrown in the moke and run for 2K but I had to swap gearboxes because of diff issues!! and I'm in Tassie which is even harder than most places to find such things.... :wink:

TT :)
Tortuga Moke - moke with a hard shell

1980 Moke with hardtop

drmini in aust

• Registered Member

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 04:49:56 PM »
We threw an 1152 into Spiro with the original Clubby 3.44 diff, running 6x 13" wheels the gearing is fine. Of course they are low profile tyres, not your usual Moke wintertreads which are somewhat BIGGER dia...  :lol:
But for road use only the gearing is great.
Kevin G
Hills District, Sydney, NSW

Pilot of Mini HaHa- 1360 wasMatic, had 86.6HP ATW, no hairdryer either...
New 1412 stroker, 114HP & 113lb/ft torque on Graham Russell's engine dyno, now in car. mucho torque...

tainted

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Tim (of the not quite sane) Ainsworth
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 08:36:06 PM »
Been running a 3.44 diff for well over 16 years, before I owned the car, firstly on a very dodgy 40thou 1275, ran great but was never quite up to the effort. By the time the gearbox self destructed another was on order, a bit of a hodge podge job with several things being brought together for what was the first time by the builder, now long gone KG Engineering. Was deemed to be a bit of a hit or miss and turned out to be a big hit.

Bit sluggish of the start, but once going you rarely notice the diff. One major time was on one of the MOA trips, headding back towards Vic, strong head wind, everyone behind was shittin me about getting 80km/h max, up ahead was some trees to break this head wind, once I got to these I was away and none of the other caught sight off me until we all gathered at the next town.

Yest it has it's drawbacks, but to me a lot more advantages and also isn't as useless of the sealed roads as you might think.
Gone Away, Gone Ahead...

Fred flinstone

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Project Moke Cali 1275
Re: Engine number and engine capacity.
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 11:54:21 PM »
tt92,

sounds like you have a problem stopping not going. :-)

The 1750 is a totally different block all together, B or E series , and although I the smaller capacity 1500 in a Moke it is not something I would recommend to anyone, especially not as a quick fit.

The best you can do with your lotto Money would be a 1275 bored out to 13 something and then a supercharger. For those at the muster who remember the Moke with the NOS kit might also suggest one of them.

Should be able to run into parked cars at a much greater speed with all that under the bonnet.

Terry
Hi Tery I have an 1100 Bored out 60th what power would that be now?

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Engine number and engine capacity.
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 12:27:55 AM »
Hi,

It is difficult to say as some much effects the actual horsepower, block, pistons, head, manifold, carby(s) exhaust.

Because of the longer stroke on the 1100 yourHP might be around 50 but the torque will be a lot better lower down.

Terry