Author Topic: Best place to suspend an A Series engine/gearbox with engine stand?  (Read 3865 times)

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Adelaide, South Australia
Hi Everybody

Just pulled my engine for some much needed work - and had a devil of a time trying to find an appropriate place to bolt on to the engine stand.

I am currently using the two threaded holes above the oil filter assembly - but I am not confident that all the weight shold be focused there - any ideas???

Cheers

sa mokin

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
Re: Best place to suspend an A Series engine/gearbox with engine stand?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 11:18:24 PM »

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 12:06:22 AM »
Sa,

I have used a similar type stand in the past and the best thing you can do is get rid of the adapter plate and replace it with a  simple piece of tube of the same dimensions.

On one end of the tube you weld a flat square plate with an inch or so of extra space and two holes that line up with the two hole that normally hold the alternator bracket and coil.

I will take a photo later today and post it up for you.

Terry

Wombat

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 11:07:48 AM »
I took the sliding things off and bolted the plate straight to the block drilling a new hole to line up with the holes as Terry suggests. - I used a little pile of washers to fill the gap between the plate and the holes that needed it. Works for me

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 11:44:48 AM »
Sa,

This is the mount I use for A Series and the second set of holes you can see match the same two holes on the A+ series engine which has the holes further over towards the radiator. The difference is the center of rotation for the two engines is different so the other holes still allow it to rotate quite evenly. There is bolt that drops in at various angle on the other end of the pipe to allow it to be held upside down etc.

Terry

« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 11:48:46 AM by Terry »

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 06:54:11 PM »
Thanks for that guys - I found a pic in the Mini Experience Magazine that showed the similar plate Terry - what I was wondering was is the two holes sufficient to hold the weight. I notice that your photos do not inc a gearbox that is also attached to my motor.

I drained the oil first but that could also add weight to the overall package - the engine stand says it is rated to 300kgs but what about the block?

I would think the motor could be cactus if the hole mould broke or the motor fell. (Your talkin to a guy who manages to break a hammer and not the handle  ;D)

What are your thoughts on that?

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 07:05:58 PM »
SA,

I agree with you in some respects, it does seems a lot of weight for two short bolts and when you consider you have a gearbox to go on there as well plus all the 'grunting' you are going to have to do to get the bits off the ends of the crank.

However that engine has been sitting on the stand for almost 9 years now, I have taken it off about 3-4 time to build other engines with everything attached(gearbox, extractors and radiator) and done a load of grunting, even two people grunting in opposite directions and it hasn't managed to break it.

Unless you are a decent welder, I would get an Adult welder to attach the plate to the pipe, but otherwise  just do it.

If you are still a bit nervous I sometimes have the engine crane hooked up and sitting above the stand with a chain attach in the event of something bad happening, but touch wood, Ouch!!, it hasn't.

Terry 

Wombat

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 07:17:26 PM »
I used 4 holes - two Terry used and the oil filter oils - I can trace the holes onto paper for a template if you want.

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 07:23:02 PM »
Ok - I believe that it will take the weight - but I will get a plate made up with the two holes.

I had a look at the oil filter mounting holes Wombat - but thought the thread was a bit short to hold the weight and that I also could possibly want to mount the filter while on the stand......

Thanks to all for your suggestions - I'm sure I will have more questions - I noticed that my left CV is missing some bearings for some reason.... I could write a novel on why you shouldn't purchase on eBay without inspecting first - and if you can inspect not to pay big money if it isn't running!    :o

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

drmini in aust

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 10:12:13 PM »
I made an adaptor to bolt to the 2 alternator bolts, also the 2 filter mount ones. For those I used 3/8 UNC starter bolts, not the studs.
In practice only 1 of the filter ones is needed to give rigidity.
Kevin G
Hills District, Sydney, NSW

Pilot of Mini HaHa- 1360 wasMatic, had 86.6HP ATW, no hairdryer either...
New 1412 stroker, 114HP & 113lb/ft torque on Graham Russell's engine dyno, now in car. mucho torque...

smitcs3

• Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 08:27:31 PM »
Hey guys since i dont have a welder would someone make up one of these adpter plates for me? i am happy to pay? price would be good.
-Smit

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 09:04:24 PM »
Hey guys since i dont have a welder would someone make up one of these adpter plates for me? i am happy to pay? price would be good.

Do you have an engine stand?

Terry

smitcs3

• Registered Member

-Smit

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 12:32:21 AM »
Hi,

Measure the diameter of the hole that the bracket fits into on the stand so you know what size pipe you need and get the alternator bracket and print of a couple of the pictures back in the post.

Take them all to an local engineer and ask them for a bit of pipe x in diameter with a thick plate with two holes spaced like on the alternator bracket welded to the pipe. If they have the metal in stock it shouldn't take them long to make something up.

Terry

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 12:48:24 PM »
Well here is my first attempt at my method of putting a motor on an engine stand. Like I say, first attempt, at this stage. I'm happy so far, I now want to work out a system to brace and support the engine, so once I have set up fuel, a battery and a wiring loom, I'll be able to run the engine until I have Morton's body built to put it in a car.
I also wanted access right around the motor, so I can clean and paint it.
Can any of you guys say any obvious problems I may have?

At this stage I have used a piece of building strap to stop it rolling forward but I will make some type of bulkhead to brace it against.

At this stage it is more for cleaning are running but I may use it for building at assembly, if I can get it to work.

Cheers

Dev

The Angry Ant has overcome 77Devil.
Watch out for the Ant!