Author Topic: Engine out - what else should I do?  (Read 1452 times)

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
Engine out - what else should I do?
« on: August 02, 2008, 03:13:54 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I have the engine and front subframe out of Mickey for a coat of paint. I know he needs a new rod change seal, and there is lots of oil around the output shaft seals, so will change these as well.

Is there anything else I should do while it is easy to get at? The kids don't need to learn any new swear words just yet - so I would rather do it now, even if costs me a few bucks, and know it will be OK for a while.

One area that concerns me is the clutch. The adjuster bolt is screwed out at least an inch, and the arm seems to be bent already, so for $159, should I just get a new kit?

Any and all advice will be gratefully received.

Regards, Maddog.

Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
Re: Engine out - what else should I do?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 11:45:29 AM »
If you have doubts about the clutch I would replace it while you have it out.
 A lot easier than when it's all back together.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

THE STIG

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Some say his first name really is 'The';
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 12:13:45 PM »
Don't forget that a red engine is faster!!  :) :)
1973 998 Leyland agricultural Mini Moke : )
It is allot more fun to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow...

casper

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 01:36:32 PM »
From experience, I would also change the timing cover and the seal for the drive shaft that goes through  the timing cover (can't remeber the name of it). I'm a believer of 'while the engine is out, if you can change a seal/ gasket, do it' This is mainly for those seals that are commonly known to leak.

There is nothing worse that finding a leak after you put the motor back! :P (yes I've done it)

Also, inspect the water pump while its out.
1977 Californian

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 07:29:15 PM »
Hi,

If the clutch arm is already bent and the adjuster it out then there is something else besides your clutch plate being down a bit. The slave, arm pivot and pressure plate/thrust bearing are where I would look. If you have oil on the split pit in the bottom of the transfer case then get the flywheel off and replace the mainseal(normally orange) and do your clutch while there.

Timing cover and timing seal as suggested. If your water pump doesn't have a tell tale sign from the hole underneath then leave it be, I have never known anyone who can predict when they are going to fail and they are easy enough to do in the car.

Check your speedo cable and fuel pump seals and the inspection cover plates.

Terry

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 05:25:18 AM »
Thanks guys for your help,

So the message is replace all the seals. Suits me fine - I hate oil leaks. Definitely pulling the clutch now, and I think it's safe to assume the water pump may be dicked after sitting for 8 years with no water.

Don't forget that a red engine is faster!!

Thanks Stig. The rest of the moke is red, so is it safe to have a red engine too?!? From what I remember learning in Physics, the closer you get to the speed of sound the harder it becomes to hear your stereo!!

Cheers, Maddog.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 11:42:28 AM »
MD,
I think it's safe to assume the water pump may be dicked after sitting for 8 years with no water.

Replace it if you are worried, but the pump could last for a long time. I had to replace the new water pump on DS after just 6,000km on the last trip and I put on the spare one that has been bouncing around in the sidebox for years and was second hand and it did the other 9,000kms and still going strong.

Water pumps just leak or they don't. What you can check is to take it off and see if it is a cast iron or pressed metal impellor and if it is the later are the fins all right shape and still moving the water around. They PM variety have a tendency to flatten the fins over time.

Terry