Author Topic: Engine oil  (Read 5448 times)

troppo

Engine oil
« on: October 22, 2008, 07:44:49 PM »
What type of engine oil do you use?

Biggles

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Engine oil
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 08:05:06 PM »
G'day lurker,
                I use valvoline. You know what i mean? :)
But honestly I think if you asked every body on the forum
I'm pretty sure you'd get 50 different answers. Most oils
are good but every body would have there favourite.

cheers Tony

middie

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Wiz & Turnip Boy - a disaster waiting to happen
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 08:41:23 PM »
I know I'm harmless ;D . . . but I think, maybe, perhaps, not too sure, that it would be a good idea to look at some of the "old fashioned" oils.

Perhaps the more "modern" oils would not be very good for a 30-year-old engine ???

I am also restoring (make that ignoring) a 1932 putt-putt launch, and had all sorts of trouble sourcing mineral oil to put in the 2-stroke petrol mix. The use of "modern" 2-stroke oil was frowned upon as very bad for the engine.

Before you jump on me Hazy, I know that Middie doesn't take 2-stroke petrol, just trying to draw an analogy ;D

Schooner
'Life isn't like a bowl  of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......'

Biggles

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 08:44:28 PM »
Schooner ,
            try zirtec if you've got analogy

cheers Hazy

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 09:30:31 PM »
Middie (You'd be 'Pottie' in Victoria, I think)
Isn't Castrol R a mineral oil,
I used to use it in my Go Kart and also my wipper snipper just cos it smells so good ;D
Maybe a bit racy for a putt putt though!
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 09:54:25 PM »
Hi,

Commonly recommended oils from the people who opinion i trust are

Penrite HPR40 in your climate
Valvoline XLD Premium
Castrol GTX

and from a racing point of view Fusch is highly regarded by some.

I have a couple of samples of Penrite currently being analysed from my trip around Oz a few months ago to see what is myth and what is truth about Penrite at least.

In the warmer climate HPR30 showed a drop of about 10psi in pressure over HPR40.

As general rule stick with the better known brands and change the oil every 5,000km or less as the Moke is sharing oil between the engine, gearbox and diff so it is taking a bigger beating over a conventional car.

Terry

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 10:08:32 PM »
Troppo,

I use Shell something or other, 20/50W (it was on sale at Supercrap). It says on the bottle "for older cars". The gear box seems to work SO much better with a slightly thicker oil. I don't think brand matters that much, as long as it is a decent one.

I tend to agree with Middie, steer away from modern synthetic oils.

Cheers, Maddog.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 06:29:45 AM »
change the oil every 5,000km or less as the Moke is sharing oil between the engine, gearbox and diff so it is taking a bigger beating over a conventional car.

Terry

Good point Terry. A factor that I for one hadn't thought of, even though it's obvious when you put it like that  ::)

Steve

miniDave

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Central Coast, NSW . . . ideal Moke country
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 07:54:39 AM »
I recently had a 1098 rebuilt by Graham Russell. We talked many times about oil and this has been a top topic over at the Ausmini forum. Graham has used for many years oil from K-Mart, KMX20W50. He uses it in all types of engines he builds and dynos, including BDG Ford engines and has tested it against all sorts of other oils and still believes it is the best. Indeed many 'Mini' people also use the KMX. I haven't got the engine in the car at the minute but I will take his advice and use the KMX.

From what I hear (from Graham and others) is that KMX oil is sourced as surplus from the major oil companies. Recent discussion at Ausmini also concluded that currently the KMX oil is surplus Castrol Edge Sport 20W50, but at a greatly reduced price.

When I was picking up my engine from Graham I also met an engine builder (can't remember his name) that had a major centre at Parramatta and did mainly high end engines in Mercedes etc. He discussed at great length that he has tested and tried all types in search of what is best. He swears by Penzoil - but only if it carries the American made flag on the container. I used Penzoil in my Monaro but surplies ran out when cyclone Katrina hit southern America. It has only recently become available again. Penzoil is also produced in Australia under license by Shell (OK again just what I have heard) but is a completley different formula from the American mix.

I have heard good reports about Penrite and noticed on their website http://www.penrite.com.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?id=377&nav_cat_id=140&nav_top_id=55 that there is a 'classic oil' available for older cars but I have not seen it on the shelves yet.

regards
1976 Moke
1979 Moke
1965 Mini Deluxe
1967 Mini Deluxe
1968 HK GTS Monaro
2004 CV8 Monaro

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 10:22:21 AM »
MiniD,

Interesting thought by Mr Russell. No wonder it gets very confusing for the average consumer.

Another comment  have heard, RACV testing was the source I believe, is that mixing different blends is bad as one additive might react with the other brands additive, so the advice was whatever you use, keep using.

Penrite Classic is something my Father uses in his Side Valvle V8 truck and a Fargo, 46 and 36 respectively. Pentrie recommend HPR30 or 40 for the Mini engine and the capacity says 4.2L(Mini) or 4.3L(Moke) !!! but I just put the whole 5L bottle in and you will get just above the mark, their recommendation always falls below the full mark.

The other deciding factor should be that if you have just paid to have a Mr Russell or other reputable builder put together an engine for your and they say use Brand X, then you use Brand X. If you have issues with the engine and you take it back and say you used Reject Shop 20/50 then you are going to be starting behind the eight ball. So use whatever they recommend for their engines.

Terry

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 10:27:35 AM by Terry »

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• "Why don’t all cars have no doors? When I come to power I’m going to make it a rule, because this is just better!" - Jeremy Clarkson.

• Personal Text
    Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 10:42:39 AM »
From what I hear (from Graham and others) is that KMX oil is sourced as surplus from the major oil companies. Recent discussion at Ausmini also concluded that currently the KMX oil is surplus Castrol Edge Sport 20W50, but at a greatly reduced price.

I made a coule of calls and that's Total BS I'm afraid.  Castrol don't do "surlplus" deals on their products to be sold under other brands.  There is never any surplus anyway.  Edge is selling as fast as it can be made.

The important thing is to avoid using anything with heaps of additivies in a Mini or MOke.  The gearbox quickly trashes the additivies and can cause frothing, drop-off in oil pressure and problems with synchros.

I agree with Terry and the RACV - it's a good idea to stick with one brand for the life of the engine and you are less likely to have problems with weird reactions. 

I use GTX 20W/50 (NOT GTX2!) in "healty" Mini/Moke engines and Corse Plus 25W/60 in tired engines. 
Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1965 BMC Mini Diesel Tractor
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super Deluxe - Audrey
1973 Land Rover S3 88 inch - Gilbert
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013 Toyota Prado

miniDave

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 11:55:23 AM »
I made a coule of calls and that's Total BS I'm afraid.  Castrol don't do "surlplus" deals on their products to be sold under other brands.  There is never any surplus anyway.  Edge is selling as fast as it can be made.

I'll stick with what Mr. Russell says.
1976 Moke
1979 Moke
1965 Mini Deluxe
1967 Mini Deluxe
1968 HK GTS Monaro
2004 CV8 Monaro

miniDave

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 12:03:20 PM »

Penrite Classic is something my Father uses in his Side Valvle V8 truck and a Fargo, 46 and 36 respectively. Pentrie recommend HPR30 or 40 for the Mini engine and the capacity says 4.2L(Mini) or 4.3L(Moke) !!! but I just put the whole 5L bottle in and you will get just above the mark, their recommendation always falls below the full mark.

Terry - interseting these details under the Classic Light:

Classic Light

Used in vehicles operating in ambient temperatures above a minimum of 5oC (40oF) or subsequently where old style 20w/50, 20w or SAE 30 oils were originally or subsequently recommended. Also suitable as an engine/transmission oil in BMC mini.

The oil contains optimum quantities of modern additive systems to suit vehicles of this period.

Typical oil change periods are yearly  or every 3,000 miles (5000kms) whichever comes first.

Please Note: other variables such as  engine design features or condition could have an effect as  to which oil will give optimum performance. If in doubt  please contact Penrite.

General  Characteristics of this range are:
• Contains optimum quantities of modern additive systems to suit vehicles of this period and provide unequaled protection against rust or corrosion after fluid in engines which spent its majority of time not in use.
• Dispersant/detergent additives maintain engine internal cleanliness along with anti-wear additives designed to protect camshafts.
• Additive exceed quality levels originally called for by manufacturers of vehicles when new.

Makes mention of being used in BMC mini. Never seen the stuff myself or talked to anybody that has used it.

1976 Moke
1979 Moke
1965 Mini Deluxe
1967 Mini Deluxe
1968 HK GTS Monaro
2004 CV8 Monaro

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• "Why don’t all cars have no doors? When I come to power I’m going to make it a rule, because this is just better!" - Jeremy Clarkson.

• Personal Text
    Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 12:12:22 PM »
I'll stick with what Mr. Russell says.

I should have clarified, I'm not disagreeing with Mr Russell, I'm saying the Ausmini discussion is wrong.

KMX may be a well-known brand repackaged, but KMX is definitely not Castrol Edge.  I work for BP/Castrol and I spoke to the lubes guys downstairs who schedule production and distribution. 

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1965 BMC Mini Diesel Tractor
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super Deluxe - Audrey
1973 Land Rover S3 88 inch - Gilbert
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013 Toyota Prado

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 12:18:45 PM »
I'm not disagreeing with Mr Russell, I'm saying the Ausmini discussion is wrong.

Thanks Bnicho,

I have read that on Ausmini many times, and could never quite bring myself to believe it. Now I know why! The same old story, if it sounds too good to be true............

Cheers, Maddog.

Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!