Author Topic: Engine oil  (Read 5442 times)

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Engine oil
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 04:16:41 PM »
Pete, why would you change it so ofter, its not a high power race car.
If you do it once max. twice a year, would be fine...

mav.

Hi,

Because he has a friend who changes his oil every 2000km and he swears by it because he was told to do it by the reputable person who built his engine. :)

Changing it twice a year is not a practical measure, you shuld be goin by how many km's the engine/gearbox has done. Rule of thumb for many is 5,000km per change.

Terry

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• "Why don’t all cars have no doors? When I come to power I’m going to make it a rule, because this is just better!" - Jeremy Clarkson.

• Personal Text
    Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 04:34:46 PM »
Changing it twice a year is not a practical measure, you shuld be goin by how many km's the engine/gearbox has done. Rule of thumb for many is 5,000km per change.

I change the oil and filter twice a year in all my old cars regardless of km travelled.  It's just easier that way on a schedule.  The Moke is changed March and September,  the VW May and November, the MR2 February and August, the Corona January and July. 

The Moke has rarely done over 1000 miles between changes, but it's cheap insurance. 

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1965 BMC Mini Diesel Tractor
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super Deluxe - Audrey
1973 Land Rover S3 88 inch - Gilbert
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013 Toyota Prado

spider

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 06:13:45 PM »
The Moke has rarely done over 1000 miles between changes, but it's cheap insurance
Cheers,

That is very much an under-statement.
Old Moker's never die - they just smell that way

It's not whether you win or loose but how you play the game.

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 06:27:02 PM »
That's always the problem with this sort of discussion. The participants range from the likes of Terry who does the same number of k's and the same sort of driving (i.e. long highway trips mixed with everyday driving) as most of us do in our BV's, to others who drive them to work everyday, others still who bring them out on warm weekends and those sad people who might rack up 100k or less per year  :).

Those in the first two categories would (or should) obviously stick to regular km based services like we all should with our everyday drivers. The last two categories however (the bulk of us I think) would be better served by a time based schedule IMO. Brett's routine sounds good to me for those of us who aren't doing many k's and I plan to do something along those lines.

Mind you, if I plan on a big multi day run (and I plan to do a few of those  :) ) I wouldn't be shy in changing it just before going if the 6 months wasn't quite up. If it was a big enough run or in hot and/or dusty conditions (again quite likely  :) ) It may even be worth changing when I got home. As others have said, it's cheap and easy insurance.

Having had a bad run on rebuilding engines in work utes over the past few years, I'm happy to change oil and filters every 5,000km rather than 10,000 as recommended as this works out to about every 3 months on my main ute and every 6 months on the other one. They work pretty hard at times, so this is a good interval for a once over.

Takes half an hour or so including time to check grease nipples and general underbody condition and costs me about $125 for the Landcruiser as it takes 10L of oil. Costs to rebuild it would go close to 5 figures though, so money well spent I think. On a Moke, it costs bugger all and is just as important considering the age of the car to check all the underneath bits on a regular basis.

Newie