Author Topic: Morgan the Vtec Moke 😊😎  (Read 35688 times)

dacjac

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Morgan the Vtec Moke 😊😎
« on: November 12, 2014, 04:49:46 PM »
   Here is where it all started https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php/topic,7661.0.html and due to some mechanical issues and some paint issues and a heap of other stuff going on. I didn't look at the Moke for over 12 months.

Even before doing the original restoration I had dreams of doing something a little different. I even toyed with the idea of a twin engine all wheel drive after reading about a mini in Melbourne with two cooper s engines in it. Obviously a very complicated conversion.

Well I have been doing a bit of reading and a lot of Dreaming and have decided to take on the challenge of putting a B18 Honda engine into the Moke.

I haven't put a time frame on it at this stage but would hope to have most of the hard work done by mid 2016, I don't think I will get much spanner work started to much before July 2015.

I am already speaking with a local Engineer in Wollongong NSW and he seems confident that I can do this and register it, which is the plan.

While I am at it I want to build a new roll cage that will facilitate the use of lap sash belts in the back seats, as well as complete the custom dash I have planned out of carbon fibre.

Currently the plan is to use the standard B18 engine and the Honda loom so all the Moke loom will be removed and the Honda one stripped of anything not required, this will enable the use of the standard ECU.

Still trying to work out what to do with the intake  manifold as the standard and aftermarket ones don't fit. Some guys cut the bulkhead and some modify a manifold? I need to speak to the engineer in depth on this one.

I have purchased an entire Honda Integra VTiR so I would like to use as much as possible off the donor car for this build. I would like to look at using the brakes and possibly even adopting the stud pattern, this would open up a larger range of wheels.

About the wheels, I haven't checked what the engineering restrictions are but I stood the 13" Moke wheels against the 15" Honda rims and the difference in diameter in probably only about 25 to 35 mm so I would like to look at putting 15"s on it.

There are quite a few, ok 3 or 4 engineering mobs that build the subframes that fit up under the mini mounts. Pros and cons for all of them. Some require a font end body extension which I want to avoid at all cost. Needless to say the engine bay will be cramped.
The frame I am leaning towards comes from All Speed engineering in the UK and runs standard suspension ( I like the idea ) and has standard track width ( important for rego) it will still need some mods to comply with our rego rules.

There is a mini van in Germany I think that the guy has even used the ABS braking. I would like to understand how this works and explore that option also, as the integra has ABS.

As you all know this is a big project, however I am confident even if a little daunted at the task that I can do this, and to be honest I am as excited about The project construction and logistics as I am about the end product.

I have started to list some of my A series bits on EBay and I have purchased the donor car so I have already committed.

Wish me luck, call me mad, give advise, point out what I could improve, it's all welcome.

It has come from this

With a lot of work got to this

Now for the engine conversion, I don't plan on to many body mods at this stage and a repaint isn't on the cards for a while so the welding that will damage the paint will be treated to prevent rust but won't be all shiny and nice :-\
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 08:58:24 PM by dacjac »
Al

I'm getting closer 150 BHP Vtec moke😁

Budget... I didn't know anything about a budget... I must have missed that memo.

SuzukiMoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Awaiting next project
Re: The next step Vtec B18 into a Moke and rego in NSW
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 05:27:08 PM »
Terrific plan - good luck with build (or should that be re-build).  A VTEC transplant would be my next step if I was to take one.  Using the whole loom is a great idea.

Cheers Adrian

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 06:27:36 PM »
Should be a great build, looking forward to your updates.

Some pics of other Vtec conversions as promised in the engine bay size thread.

This is the UK moke that has since burnt in the front, I'm not sure if it's been repaired though

looks like they have extended the front a few inches

This is Peter D's clubman in Melbourne

This is the subframe he made, all completly home built, the back mounts bolt up near the seat cross member.
the bonnet lenght is original.

I'm off to measure a round nose mini in the morning so I'll report back!

1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

dacjac

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 06:51:13 PM »
In order to get lap sash belts in the back I need to fabricate a new bar and it needs to be a bigger diameter tube than the standard bar. So I plan on shortening the top battery cover. So I am chasing the bit off the top of the side box, not the cover but the actual body part. If anyone has one or is scraping a body I would be interested. Will post in the trading post eventually.

See picture

Al

Budget... I didn't know anything about a budget... I must have missed that memo.

dacjac

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 06:59:10 PM »
Thanks Moe,

Yep have seen the Moke pics before, very neat, hope mine comes out that clean.

That subframe is different to any I have seen before looks good looks like it takes standard suspension and control arms.
Any more info on that would be handy.

I wonder what it might cost to have one built here in Aus.

Just had a message from a guy through Ebay he is in Sydney and has an almost completed B16 mini he has invited me to come and have a look and ask questions, gotta love the mini comunity ;D
Al

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 07:55:39 PM »
Hi,

Peter D.  kept details of the frame including dimensions and possibly the complete plans for his Sub frame in case anyone wanted to copy it or he made another one. As the floor of the Moke and mini are different there would be some changes required.

Terry

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 08:14:51 PM »
Gday Al,
There was some discussion on the engine bay dimension in this link, and another really good side view pick of the red Moke.
https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php/topic,6718.0.html

Looks like a huge job, but dang, will look good in Morgan 8)

HP

The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

dacjac

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 08:32:18 PM »
Hi,

Peter D.  kept details of the frame including dimensions and possibly the complete plans for his Sub frame in case anyone wanted to copy it or he made another one. As the floor of the Moke and mini are different there would be some changes required.

Terry

Hi Terry, that sounds promising, any idea how to contact Peter to discuss access to his drawings?

Gday Al,
There was some discussion on the engine bay dimension in this link, and another really good side view pick of the red Moke.
https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php/topic,6718.0.html

Looks like a huge job, but dang, will look good in Morgan 8)

HP

Yep HP huge job but should be fun :o
Al

Peter D

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 09:29:39 PM »
Hi not sure how I can help with the Vtec to Moke.But am happy to answer any questions u have

mini regards

Peter d

dacjac

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 10:32:16 PM »
Hi not sure how I can help with the Vtec to Moke.But am happy to answer any questions u have

mini regards

Peter d

Hi Peter,

I am sure you can help with some insight and depending on where that leads some details on the subframe you built.

First up do you still own the clubman?

Did you engineer and rego?

What state?

Is Is standard suspension and geometry?

What engine did you use?

What inlet manifold and what mods to make it fit? What were the issues you came across with this?

Alternator mounted at the front or back?

Any problems with the steering rack?

Tips for wiring and ECU?

Don't suppose you have a spare subframe laying around ;) ;D

Cheers,

Al
Al

Peter D

• Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 11:37:49 PM »
Yes I still own the Vtec Clubman
Yes I did engineer and rego in Victoria (Now on Club plates)
Yes it is standard suspension and.geometry but I an using  19 mm wire dia coil springs in place of the doughnuts on the front.
Mintastic coils on the rear 16 mm wire dia
Engine is B16a (standard)
Standard inlet manifold.grind off all the crap on the underside.
Standard exhaust header shortened on the outlet end,moved O2 sensor,all for better gearchange access,and a cat converter position.
Standard Alternator is on the front where the power steer pump used to be.
Steering rack is standard one bolt replaced with a countersunk head screw.
ECU don't cut the wires to short. Mark everything,some plugs can go to the wrong sensors.
Think that's answered all the questions and no spare frames sorry????
If I was starting now I would use the Allspeed frame, driveshafts etc even if it needs a couple of tweeks"saves a heap of hassle"
Use the standard inlet manifold cut and reweld to suit the Moke.
Find a small Altenator"from a forklift"and fit passengers side top,Rear of the engine.

Peter d

dacjac

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 12:12:12 PM »
Thanks Peter,

Good tip on the alternator.

I haven't thought to much about the exhaust so will need to work out that when the time comes, I don't even know where the O2 sensor is currently.

How do you go with torque steer? Have you got a standard diff or LSD any comments or advice on this would be good.

What about wheel sizes and final drive ratios, what are you running and what do you recommend?

How long ago did you build your car and have you had any reliability or maintenance problems that I might be able to avoid?

Back onto the inlet manifold, I believe the clubman has a little more length in the engine bay, so maybe your engine sits forward a little more than mine will. Other than cutting all the crap off the underside of the manifold did you do anything else to fit the manifolds? Everything I have read says I either need to "cut and shut" the manifold or cut a fair chunk out of the bulkhead.
If it's not to much trouble next time you have the bonnet up would you mind taking a measurement from a given point on the fire wall to a set point on the engine so I can compare, when I get to that point of course.   

Cheers,

Al
Al

Peter D

• Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 11:02:11 PM »
Ai
My engine /  trans r standard no LSD
"Torque steer "isn't a problem stock 5x12s wheels.diff ratios are available from the Uk but with an engine that spins to 8200 rpm all day everyday I am happy to use it as is. Start in second gear it's very flexible remember u have taken the engine from a 1200 kg car and put it in a 650 kg Moke.
"Reliable"isn't a problem on the Honda stuff only on the mini parts.door handles ect,not a prob with a Moke lol
Car was built 2009
One point to watch is the Honda engine mounts r very flex able,let the motor move a lot.thats ok when u have lots of space. It's a choice between smoothness, movement  or vibration on stiff mounts..? I have standard Honda mounts.

Seeing what u have already done on a Moke,i cannot see u having any problems
Do all the prep on an old shell and transfer it over.
More time in the garage less on the net will get it Dunn.

dacjac

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 09:32:17 AM »

More time in the garage less on the net will get it Dunn.

;D ;D ;D

Still raising funds, (to buy some key bits ) and need to finish some other non car related projects off before I start. So a bit more time on the net ;D

Thanks for the info, very helpful.
Al

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 11:58:48 AM »
Dacjac, have you measured the Honda from the drive shafts to the front most
point on the motor and compared that with the moke with A series?
The drive shaft location will need to be datum point for the conversion.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket