Author Topic: Weekend at Newie's  (Read 2103 times)

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

Weekend at Newie's
« on: January 07, 2014, 10:40:31 PM »
I've had some ideas for a few tracks I'd like to try out in the Moke as well as a few other favorites which I wanted to share, but are a bit too rough and a bit too far from Tamworth to include in the big Round Up events. The other problem with a some of them is that there is only limited space to pull a group of vehicles over, so the big numbers that the Round Up attracts makes it too hard.

The original plan was to invite my "local" Mokers (Greg and Michael - the Round Up co-organisers) down for a weekend run, but then after being invited up to Wallangarra 6 months ago to Andy W's great weekend, I figured I could do something similar to that and invite half a dozen others to camp the weekend in my backyard.

Being extremely pressed for time lately, the only weekend free in the forseeable future was last weekend. The thought process was "That's too close to Christmas/New Year so most people won't be able to come". Anyway, checked with Greg and Michael - they were free. Checked with Andy W (had to repay his earlier hospitality of course  :) ) - he was free. So it was on. I'll invite a few others and if a couple more show up, so much the better.

I've discovered you have to be careful inviting extra people thinking half won't turn up - pretty much everyone came  :o. The convoy that left here on Saturday morning was 10 Mokes strong and we picked up two more late starters along the way. So 12 Mokes for most the day Saturday and peaked at 13 on Sunday morning/lunchtime before a couple made an early start home after lunch.

I have a very small house but a reasonable sized yard, so luckily the weather was fine as everyone had to spend the weekend in "the campground" aka my back yard. after relocating a couple of trailers, a boat and a spare boring car, everyone found a spot to roll out their swag or pitch their tent.

Friday was ridiculously hot, as it was most places. Most participants spent the bulk of that day driving over here and Casper/Mrs Casper showed really poor judgement in turning up a bit early "for a break before all the driving on the weekend" and spent the 43 degree day helping me tie up the loose ends.

Saturday and Sunday felt relatively mild when they dropped down into the mid 30's for our days of driving.

Saturday was a pretty long hard run setting off a little after 8.30 and arriving home sometime between 6.30 and 7.00 depending if you were with the front runners or the photographers group. The route took us across the edge of the plains and up across the Liverpool Range to Merriwa for morning tea and to meet up with Woody and Smithy who joined us there from Newcastle.

After a rest and a fuel stop for most of us (Netty reckoned she'd be alright  ;) ) we got serious and headed into the wilderness of the Goulburn River National Park. I'm afraid this wasn't quite as good as I'd planned mainly due to the heat which made any thought of walking to lookouts etc seem crazy, plus the fact that there has been virtually no rain out there since I test ran it in early Oct, so it was seriously dusty and a lot more corrugated than when I last did it  :-\

Nonetheless, I think everyone enjoyed the adventure (in hindsight...... later ...... after their showers and a few drinks that night......)  :-\ ;)

We did finally find a bit of water and shade, but they're both valuable commodities by the side of the road out there.

Stopped for lunch in an interesting little town where 3 of the keenest little Moke fans you're likely to find guided us to the local rec grounds for lunch on their pushbikes. Despite their best intentions, the facilities weren't quite as good as they made out though, and I'd left the food table folded up in the shed at home  :-[. As our fans were using the picnic table in the only other park in town to skin their eels for that night's dinner, we had to improvise the picnic facilities parked under the trees overlooking the grounds.

After another rest stop at a nice shady creek, we looped back around to Merriwa, topping Netty up with fuel from Smokey's jerry can about 500m before the crest of a hill that rolled down into the town  :D ) much to her son Ben's delight as he put 29.7 litres of fuel in his 30 litre tank.

Home late to cook the barby, but thanks to daylight savings and everyone pitching in, we were all fed and downed a few refreshments before dark.

Sunday was a much more relaxed affair as we rolled out of town after 10.00 for a back road run over the Murrurundi range onto the old highway as far as we could, then down a track into town. We then all headed up onto the old stock route track to an 1860's monument to a settler killed by a bushranger overlooking some scenic hills for morning tea. Didn't even bother trying to remember the table this time when the Moke bonnet did such a good job of catering the day before  :).

The self proclaimed clowns of the group - Ben and Andy

Then gathered for the last time as a full group on the Wingen pub verandah for lunch before Smithy, Andy/Ben and Netty all headed for their respective homes and we took the scenic route back along yet another dirt road through the northern foothills of the Murrurundi range.

Will sprinkle a few photos through the post as I get a chance to upload them, but being busy organising and mostly in the lead of the convoys, others will have better ones I'm sure.

Thanks all for turning up and making it a hugely enjoyable weekend. A well worthwhile exercise  :D

Newie

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 12:16:40 AM by Newie »

martin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Weekend at Newie's
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 05:54:53 AM »
That looked like a fantastic weekend, thanks for sharing Newie.
Retired Stormtrooper

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 06:15:42 AM »
I hope the water pistols were primed :)
Looks like a fun weekend, even with the heat.
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

melbournerob

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 08:00:19 AM »
Thanks for the write-up and photos Newie - its always great to be able to share the outings of others - you had a fantastic time and a good turnout too.

Rob
1973 Export Moke (Dad's Toy)
1972 Standard Moke (Dad's Toy 2)

and a garage full of spare parts/rusty bits...

Moke 71

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:02:37 AM »
Well done newie on organising a great weekend, thanks for the write up.
Moke 1971
Moke 1976 - Daily
Moke 1978 Californian
Moke 1979 - AKA Thomas
and too many round nose minis

Moke2b

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    3 Mokes were too many...
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 08:04:25 AM »
So did Andy and Ben have cross hairs on their back... I still remember Mokefest, getting a bigger water pistol.

Sounds like an awesome weekend apart from the heat.
80 Californian Moke project

Mazy

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 09:47:09 AM »
Congratulations Newie for orchestrating and running yet another great Moke adventure.

Apart from the heat it sounds like a great time was had by all. Terrific numbers you got there too..... as per that famous misquote "If you build it they will come".

Would love to see some more pics too........

Mazy

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 06:01:40 PM »
I hope the water pistols were primed :)
Looks like a fun weekend, even with the heat.
HP

So did Andy and Ben have cross hairs on their back... I still remember Mokefest, getting a bigger water pistol.

Water pistols were certainly the order of the day. The Tenterfield crew were there, so it was inevitable even without the heat  ::).

As you probably noticed from my other threads, there was some midnight oil burnt to get Cool Breeze running in time for my own weekend and it was a very close run thing in the end, but despite all of that, I was still helping Newie Jr on Friday night to wire up a 20L 12 volt spray gun in the back seat so that he could defend himself  8)

And yes 2b, Andy and Ben were prime targets. Andy's preparations for the last Round Up were the main reason for the upgrade in Cool Breeze's fire power, but unfortunately his Moke never made it very far from home before it had some pretty major issues, so he and Ben had to share a Moke  :-\

There was a bit of a pranking competition going on too and Newie Jr discovered that his state of the art fire power wasn't much good when it had bubble bath mixed into it  ;D

They had the final say on the weekend actually when they left us early on Sunday to head home, but stopped in at my place to pull one last stunt on Miss Newie's car she'd left there (she was driving the catering truck during the weekend)

Seemed to have the desired effect by the way boys. The look on her face was pretty good and it hit Facebook 10 minutes after she found it.

Newie
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:19:52 PM by Newie »

woody

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Woody
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 07:12:45 PM »
I would like to thank Newie for a great weekend.
The runs were fun but a little dusty at times.
The group of fellow mokers all got on great and a great bunch they all were.
With water cannons a more appropriately name not pistols I was one that did not come prepared but next time I will be ready???
Some had water tanks with12v  Pump to empty lots of water on the unexpected driver.
I would again like to thank Newie a weekend to remember.

Woody
If you are depressed, you are living in the past.
If you are anxious, you are living in the future.
If you are at peace, you are living in the present
Lao Tzu

Matthew

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

• Moke Hunter, 1 so far...

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 07:33:59 PM »
Looks like a great weekend, thanks for sharing it with us.
Matthew.
80 Californian 1275 Project

KMC

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• 2024 Moke Round Up

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 08:13:26 PM »
I'd like to join the others in thanking Newie for the event. The hospitality was great as was the atmosphere.

I trust the neighbours (and town) has recovered from the influx of Mokes into a town that normally only hosts one!

And thanks to those who came and were good company.

2024 Moke Round Up Tamworth : www.MokeRoundUp.com.au

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 09:51:01 PM »
Spoke to the main neighbour who would have been affected by it this afternoon and they were very impressed by how well behaved everyone was - so thanks for that everyone, I do have to stay here for a while yet  :)

Newie

moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 10:08:09 PM »
Thanks for the weekend Newie.
T'was a "Most Excellent Adventure".
Dean
It's hard to leave when you can't find the door - Joe Walsh

ainsley

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 10:23:10 PM »
Well done guys and congrats Newie on another successful moke event! Looks like a great weekend  ;D ;D

Newie, You're pretty damn good at organizing these things... Better be careful there  ::) ;)

Wish I could have joined you lot, sounds like better weather than the NZ summer atm!

Prob a good thing that Andy's moke n water cannon broke down? At least you n Matt stood a slight chance for some of the time?  :P

this little piggy

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 10:23:31 PM »
Arrived home a few hours ago after a detour of a couple of days in the company of Team Nicko.

Thanks to Newie and the kids for the hard work of organising it all, Team Casper for flying the Qld flag and assisting with some hard yakka in building the camp site in AMAZING heat and for the assistance with catering, Ben and Andy for the entertainment, Team Nicko for the company on the journey down and return, Andy W for his hospitality on night one of the adventure, Netty and Rick for the catering on that evening and the morning & afternoon teas on the runs,  Woody for sharing his pics and tales of his WA adventure and the other fellow Mokers who made the effort to attend and participate with the right spirit!  Good to catch up with some not often seen but familiar faces.

Very tired, but happy to have been able to attend

Thanks again everyone there.
this little piggy
        THE FARMYARD
10/1977 Californian TLP (white) The Pig
08/1978 Californian wannabe TLPIV (Green Machine) Newie's Goat
08/1977 Californian wannabe TLPIII (Moke-a-Cola red) Little Red Rooster
unreg 08/1977 Californian TLPII (Blue) Blue Heeler