Author Topic: Silly things to fail inspection.  (Read 714 times)

moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Silly things to fail inspection.
« on: July 02, 2013, 03:40:13 PM »

It says it has M.O.T.  I notice there are no sunvisors on it.  I know it's not usually sunny in the UK (being a pom) but wouldn't you need them for rego.  Only asking as I don't have any for my blue moke as yet.
Cheers Ratty

No, it isn't a requirement to have them. The only time a sun visor can fail an MOT is if it won't stay in the stowed position and keeps falling down.
Dean
It's hard to leave when you can't find the door - Joe Walsh

ratty

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Silly things to fail inspection.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 04:18:30 PM »
Gooday
Thanks Dean, I may not bother with them unless it proves a problem.  It does get sunny here in Tassie now and then!!
Cheers Ratty
Where do all the little tubes go from CRC can ?
Blue moke
Yellow moke
Subaru Forester

moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 04:31:34 PM »
Just to clarify that I'm talking about the UK MOT requirement here, I have no idea what the law is in each state here (although my Moke passed QLD rego without them).
Dean
It's hard to leave when you can't find the door - Joe Walsh

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »
There are some curious ones in Tassie, for example I heard of someone who failed for torn upholstery. Stuffed if I can see how a minor tear in a seat is a safety issue, but anyway.

edit: I just did a bit of googling. Page 61 of this document lists what they check in Tassie and seat condition is one of the things - as are oil leaks. No mention of sun visors though.

http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/85208/Light_Vehicle_AIS_Procedures_Manual_Part1.pdf

Tim
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 04:41:20 PM by Tim »
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 08:08:33 PM »
There are some curious ones in Tassie, for example I heard of someone who failed for torn upholstery. Stuffed if I can see how a minor tear in a seat is a safety issue, but anyway.

edit: I just did a bit of googling. Page 61 of this document lists what they check in Tassie and seat condition is one of the things - as are oil leaks. No mention of sun visors though.

http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/85208/Light_Vehicle_AIS_Procedures_Manual_Part1.pdf

Tim

So far as I can tell, ADR 11 is the one that relates to sun visors and it (a) only applies to cars built after 1988 and (b) seems more concerned with the safety of their construction than whether you have them or not http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2006L01785/Download

Here in NSW, it is common for people to get knocked back for torn upholstery (well, it's common for people to be asked by inspectors to put seat covers on before they pass them, as even the inspectors generally agree it's ridiculous) but I've never heard of anyone getting knocked back for not having sun visors (mine hasn't got any).

Newie

Nick

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 09:18:04 AM »

My Moke was failed for having an "inadequate horn", which was the original factory item no less - the inspector didn't so much object to the volume, it was more the toot-toot tone of it, apparently. It did eventually pass though with no sun visors (and with torn seats for good measure)

Nick

tasmoken

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 07:33:54 PM »
I believe that it depends on the inspectors attitude,
His knowledge of the particular vehicle.
time of day,
road worthiness
your own attitude all contibute to fail or pass ;)

As I know my moke had many faults that where obvious but I still passed
But I have now also fixed all the faults I knew of.
Moking
A Way Of Life
Unashamed and Unrestrained