austmoke

Author Topic: Future 2014/2015 Moke Trips/Events  (Read 2337 times)

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Adelaide, South Australia
Future 2014/2015 Moke Trips/Events
« on: October 27, 2013, 02:01:09 PM »
It's been a little quiet here lately so I thought I would start a discussion thread about upcoming Moke Events and trips I have read other members mention.  After doing the Cape trip I soon found out just how much money a trip like that can cost! Let alone organising the time off work to do so.  It takes a fair bit of forward planning and budgeting for most of us to accommodate a trip like that, so the earlier you start planning the more likely it is that you will participate!

So far I have read mention of a few upcoming events and trips in a thread here and there - and thought it might be a good idea to mention them formally if they are open to the membership to attend and participate in.

I will only mention the ones that have been written about on this forum - and I guess I will say if you are planning a private trip then we won't discuss it here....

Mokefest/Round Up 2014?  I'm sure I read Newie mention it to be Tamworth - are there any formal plans yet?

Mokefest/Round Up 2015? Any plans or thoughts about where/when it make be held?

I see Moke My Day mention a Apple Isle Assault 2015 - can you share what that trip might entail?

I have tentative plans to do a 4-5 week trip through Adelaide/Alice/Darwin/Broome/Perth/Adelaide in Winter 2015.  It's open to anyone who wants to come along and at this point I have no firm plans on what we take in or how long we stay anywhere - I found that is better done once the travelling group puts their hand up.  I thought it might be a tad early to announce a trip that far in advance but knowing how much it costs I need to plan this far in advance if I want to go.

What say you members?

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

shorty 68

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Must stop drinking WT

• Personal Text
    Still smiling
Re: Future 2014/2015 Moke Trips/Events
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 02:21:56 PM »
As far as I no the mokefest 2015 will be in tazzy. As for Tamworth being used again I have not heard that, was hoping it would be Qld or FNQ that way the queenslanders are able to turn up. Just a thought.
1973 moke the Boss
1978 moke John the cali

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 05:20:15 PM »
A fair question SA  :).

First up, I can only really speak for the one I'm involved with, which is of course the Round Up 2014.

I can confirm that it will definitely be held in Tamworth again (sorry Shorty  :) ) in October 2014. We are on the verge of announcing it anyway and will still do so in a seperate thread in the near future. It will be an open invitation event as it has always been. Same rules as the Forum - Play nice and we're more than happy to have you  :) I'm pleased to say this has never looked like being a problem in the past.

To clear up a few other queries and misconceptions going around though:

- We are aware that people may be getting sick of doing the Round Up in Tamworth, which is fair enough, however it's close to where the people who organise it live and it's just too hard for us to organise an event much further from home, so it will be in Tamworth again and those who wish to re visit it are most welcome and we're always happy to see new faces. An interesting statistic from the 2012 Round Up is that the attendance numbers were almost identical to the 2010 event (approx 36 Mokes from memory) however exactly half of the attendees in 2012 had been to the 2010 event. So whilst there is an argument to run it somewhere else, there were 18 Mokes at the last one who had never done it before.

For those who have had enough of doing it in Tamworth, we thank you for your past attendances and fully understand if you'd rather go somewhere else next time. Hopefully someone will organise something for you (or you might feel motivated enough to get your local Mokers organised to run your own event) and even better still, hopefully I can see you at that event  :)

- The Round Up is technically a NSW State event, whereas the Moke Fests are supposed to be the bi-annual National event. The initial theory was that each state could organise their own event in the year in between the National events. The reality is that none of the other states have ever done it and so the Round Up has come to be known as a second pseudo national event.

Whilst we are more than happy to see any interstate Mokers who wish to attend, the Round Up is still a State event as far as we're concerned and if Qld, Vic or any other State want to run an event around the same time, we are fine with that, but we have no intention of organising events outside of our local area. That's a whole other ball game and it appears that Terry is the only one keen enough to tackle that particular challenge.
was hoping it would be Qld or FNQ that way the queenslanders are able to turn up.

So the thing to bear in mind is that so far as major events are concerned, we will only be doing the Round Up in Tamworth in Oct 2014, Terry/Rod may or may not be running a Moke Fest in Tassy in 2015, but the only way any other events will happen in the interim or in any other location (such as Shorty's suggested Qld/FNQ event) is if someone else organises them - any takers?

A few other comments regarding events/trips in general.

You make a very good point SA in that people need time to save up, plan leave, convince wives and familes  ;) to do these trips and events. I would like to point out though that organising a trip such as your Cape York expedition and organising an event such as the Round Up or Moke Fest are two fairly different things. Terry managed to combine both somehow in the WA MokeFest, but as I pointed out before - he's special  ;).

Generally speaking, trips involve 2 - 8 Mokes and once the initial stages of sorting out how who's coming are over it becomes a far more personal business centred around those involved.

The Round Ups have both had numbers in the mid 30's and I'm pretty sure Terry's first MokeFest in Wagga topped 100 Mokes  :o. The difference here as opposed to trips is that you have a handful of people telling everyone else what will be happening and then sitting back to see who turns up.

What I'm getting at (or trying to) is that it whilst it may be fine and probably necessary to start organising a major trip 2 years in advance, especially when vehicles often have to be rebuilt to cope, we have found after doing a couple of events that 12 months seems to be the optimum time to start serious planning. 12 months notice gives most people ample time to arrange leave etc without being too long so that they get sick of hearing about it or it seems too far off to worry about whether they're going or not anyway.

We who are organising the Round Up have had a few brief preliminary discussions in the past 12 months since the last one (mostly about if we were going to do it again and where), but really only had our first serious talk about specifics a couple of weeks ago and as I said, planned to announce it shortly - about 12 months out from the planned date of the event.

In my opinion too much can happen in 2 years to start making serious plans for a big event. Also, I know I can safely speak for everyone on the Round Up team and Terry as well when I say that the last thing you want to think about after the huge physical and emotional drain of completing one of these events, is what you are going to do about the next one  ::). There's a reason they are held 2 years apart! For that reason, I doubt you'll get any firm details about Moke Fest 2015 at this stage.

Newie

sa mokin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 05:36:31 PM »
Thanks Newie for that explanation - I had no idea the Round Up is a state event!  Sorry for jumping the gun on your announcement - it is appreciated for those who need to plan (me for one). I found Tamworth a lot of fun last year and met a lot of nice folk - and I think I can speak for the majority who can't attend like the recent Perth trip - we really wanted to come!

I guess because I am planning a 2015 trip it would be nice to marry it into a Tamworth or other event if I knew when they were planning it.  Like Shorty I have heard Tassie being mentioned but those of us that didn't go to Perth weren't privy to what was talked about.

Would like to hear what people might be thinking about....  ;)

1980 Californian
1976 Moke  (CYM)
1972 Export Moke

Moke My Day

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 07:52:19 PM »
Like Shorty I have heard Tassie being mentioned but those of us that didn't go to Perth weren't privy to what was talked about.
SA Mokin
Sorry to advise but there was no secret meetings in Perth regarding Tassie Event for 2015.
At this stage it is purely an idea of staging a tour of Tasmania similar to that experienced by a small group in 2007. Terry and I have had maybe 5 minutes of discussion and I have mentioned it to several Mokers here in Tasmania regarding there support and also took the opportunity to bring up the subject with many on the Mokefest 2013 trip as to their ideas. Many indicated their support.
If something does happen in Tasmania in 2015 it would be held no later than Easter which is early April that year. Further discussion will take place with Terry over the next few weeks and also members of the Mini club here in Tasmania at their Minifest in 2 weeks time.
Hopefully an update will be posted prior to Christmas.
I am excited by Newie advising that Roundup 2014 is happening and also hope that I can bring on my retirement for your trip later in 2015.
All moke events should be encouraged.

shorty 68

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Must stop drinking WT

• Personal Text
    Still smiling
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 08:41:16 PM »
Thanks Newie for that bit of info, I didn't no this was a state event.
 Thanks Ian :)   
1973 moke the Boss
1978 moke John the cali

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 09:11:53 PM »
Tassie 2015 is( and has been since seeing MMD's posts) pencilled in for us :)
When in small teams at work, the further notice in advance, the better. Specially when there's public holidays chucked into the annual leave mix.
Details can be worked out much closer.
Bring on NZ dates ;)

HP
Experiencing the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.
"As a Moke owner, you have a heightened awareness of Mokes in your environment, they were always there." 

https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?topic=4727.msg161920#msg161920

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 09:55:21 PM »
Thanks Newie for that explanation - I had no idea the Round Up is a state event! 

Thanks Newie for that bit of info, I didn't no this was a state event.
 Thanks Ian :)   

Not that it really matters - as I said, all have been welcome to past Round Ups and the same applies to the next one  :)

It was before Shorty's time, and SA wouldn't have been paying much attention to the details of an event half way across the country, but in 2010 we actually promoted it as the NSW Moke Round Up and tried to encourage other states to follow our lead. After the 2010 event though, when we were pleasantly amazed by how many interstaters attended, and it became apparent that no one in other states seemed likely to run their own events, we dropped the emphasis on the NSW side of things. Again, please be assured that we welcome any interstaters who want to come along  :)

The point I was really trying to make is that we don't want to discourage anyone else from having a go at running their own event. I would hate to think that anyone in other states (or other areas of NSW for that matter - it's a big state) is put off doing their own thing because we run the Round Up every second year and Terry has been running Moke Fest every other year. Feel free to fit your own event in around us and if you would like to discuss your ideas or I can be of any assistance, please let me know. The more choice out there for people the better for all  :) :). Terry and myself/KMC have no monopoly on these things, we're just the only ones who have been stupid  ;) keen enough to do them so far.

Newie

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 10:16:34 PM »
Tassie 2015 is( and has been since seeing MMD's posts) pencilled in for us :)

Me too  :) . I am yet to do one of these long distance trips, but this one is tempting

Newie

shorty 68

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Must stop drinking WT

• Personal Text
    Still smiling
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 10:25:03 PM »
Come on Newie the job will be there when you get back I no  :)
1973 moke the Boss
1978 moke John the cali

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 10:27:39 PM »
I'm looking forward to the Tassie trip too. I haven't really been able to come along since the family expanded, but by then they'll be getting big enough to drag along.

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 10:43:21 PM »
but by then they'll be getting big enough to drag along.

Tim

Come on Tim, we dragged our Ash along in 2009 when he was only one and a bit, we
were a bit soft though and had the roof up the whole time  ;D

Should be a great trip though.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

melbournerob

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 08:45:16 AM »
SA/Newie/Rod/Terry

Bring it on guys - woud love to join you! I'm one of those who needs advance notice - October 2014 is great and lets me plan the world. As far as Tassie - been threatening to get there for ages now and never seem to get it right - now I have a date to aim at!

Please keep the details coming - thank goodness for those of you who have the energy/enthusiasm to do the organising.

Rob
1973 Export Moke (Dad's Toy)
1972 Standard Moke (Dad's Toy 2)

and a garage full of spare parts/rusty bits...

Tim

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 09:52:29 AM »

Come on Tim, we dragged our Ash along in 2009 when he was only one and a bit, we
were a bit soft though and had the roof up the whole time  ;D

Should be a great trip though.

Dad is keen, kids think they're keen, Mum not so keen... The little one will be five by then so hopefully it will be easier. Luckily it still leaves me another 18 months or so to get a rear seat sorted.

Tim

Tim
1951 Morris Commercial J Type Van
1955 BSA C11G
1961 Morris Mini Traveller
1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Driving a Moke with a hardtop is like having a shower in a raincoat.

ratty

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 11:35:53 AM »
Don't know about Tamworth, but the Tassie tour is definately on.  Got to finish the moke first though!!!
Cheers Ratty
Where do all the little tubes go from CRC can ?
Blue moke
Yellow moke
Subaru Forester