Author Topic: Chicken Shed Recovery Project  (Read 12207 times)

Moke My Day

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Chicken Shed Recovery Project
« on: November 02, 2013, 07:52:02 AM »
October 2013 starts with the return trip from Mokefest Perth and lots of ideas for improving Grumps our current Moke.
Up pops 2 Mokes in a chicken shed, right timing to start a new project rather than have Grumps off the road for 12 months.
What we found, 2 Mokes that had sat idle in a chicken shed for over 15 years, white one mid 70's and only good for parts, the silver one (someone has added a bit of black in places over the years) appears to be early 80's

October 2013 ends with Moke2 completely stripped and ready for either some form of blasting or a lot of time with the scrapper.

Current plan is to make a short ute back (with a little overhang) and take most of the running gear out of Grumps. Lets see what is created in the next 15 months.

smokey

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    SMOKEY
Re: Chicken Shed Recovery Project
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 08:03:14 AM »
    Good find Rod and looking forward to your progress with it 

Cheers
              Smokey

Moke2b

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    3 Mokes were too many...
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 08:49:42 AM »
I wish my body was that good, Moke that is - my human one will never be any good. ;D
80 Californian Moke project

Shannon

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 04:34:36 PM »
Nice find, can't wait to see the progress pics.

Biggles

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 07:18:21 PM »
G'day Rod,
             You're not mucking around :)  So what does swomby
think of you pinching all the good bits from Grumps?

Biggles

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 09:35:07 PM »
Nice pick up. A good find 8)
As to the year model, mine are 3/81 and 4/81 and both have the earlier wiper motor.
I think the flat style wiper motors started to appear in the 5th or 6th month and continued till they stopped in '82.
Looks like all the bits are there. Is the 998 the original A+? The dizzy is mounted differently to to pre A+.
Cheers
Halfpint.

Hi , the quote was from your " Found" thread where you asked for help for some things, but must have been so busy that you didn't reply.
You have done heaps so quick, great work, your on a mission that's for sure 8)
Still have the same question though, I love barn finds like this, it's fascinating. Especially when they have been left alone for so long, they can give us an insight to when changes were made, like when the extra plate was added to the tailgate section, or the different wiper motors etc etc. ;D
Sorry, just adds some time lines, varied as they may be, still fun though :)
Was the ID plate missing? Is that why your a little unsure of the exact year/month model?
HP
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 09:47:50 PM by Halfpint »
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 09:55:08 PM »
Great work there Rod and son, didn't take long to get it stripped so I hope you made time
to take photos and label and bag all the bits. Paint stripping should be easy as I'm guessing it
only has the original silver with some bits with a thin coat of black.

So what colour scheme are you going for on this one?

I think it would be a shame to disembowel Grumps, surely you can find some other
running gear
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Moke My Day

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 08:31:13 AM »
Thanks for the feedback and kind words.
Smokey, could be up your way in a few weeks and may seek some feedback on your (Bushie) back modifications.
Moke2b, yes my body same after a few days leaning over a naked body.
Biggles, I think Faye is still in shock as the purchase and stripping of Moke has happened so quickly. I am a little sad that Grumps is going to be downgraded.
Halfpint, yes you are correct, no plates on body at all and the stamping on the radiator housing is also scratched out with only a few numbers visible. Found a sticker on the fuel level sender that appeared to be '81. I am trying to obtain rego number from previous owners as Greg has a contact that would then be able to do some searching. Speedo only has 15,861km on it and looking at some of the wear on parts that could be all she/he has done. Both Mokes have 998 engines and drum brakes. Certainly has the newer style wiper motor which I think looks untidy in the dash.
Moemoke, took many photos, started packing items in bags but now all together in bucket of molasses. The silver is coming of ok with stripper. New colour will be Indigo Blue, same as Greg's Cooper S, this is an original Cooper S colour and should look good on Moke. Main reason for stripping Grumps is to save time and money, and I am not sure I would get any more for Grumps here in Tasmania as is compared to back to drums brakes, 998 engine and old type seats (4 of as it is registered as a 4 seater), all parts we still have. I am a one moke person.
Downgraded Grumps could be available for a guest drive by someone at Tassie Assault 2015.

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 08:56:52 AM »
That's a kind offer of the guest drive in slow grumps, I was hoping for a ride
in one of your other cars, starts with S ends in TI  ;)

Some funny things happen in your state re compliance plates, when we were there in
2009 a moke at the Willsons yard had the comp plate of a moke that was at a Devonport
caravan park and visa/versa, In breading I think  ;D
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Faye

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    MokeMyDay Silent Partner and Lacemaker to Biggles
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 09:05:37 AM »
Hi All, I am still in shock,  little did I know that the trade off for attending the Lace AGM and giving my seat to the son and heir would cause Grumps to be dismantled (very upsetting) but that is the price I have paid.   :'(  I should have realised that letting the pair of them loose for a week would create huge problems.  Greg loves a challange and can his Father needs no encouragement.  Anyway they have both been trying to talk the new mokes up but it is difficult loosing a fantastic and reliable travelling companion.  We are heading to Hobart next weekend for Minifest in Grumps so I will make the most of the trip as it will be one of the last in my trusted adventure vehicle.   ::)

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 05:58:22 PM »
Isn't it obvious to you Rod (&Faye). You won't need to rob the good bits off Grumps at all!
You mention the that Greg already has a perfect donor car there, with disc brakes and a good motor and gearbox.

Cheers

Dev
The Angry Ant has overcome 77Devil.
Watch out for the Ant!

Moke My Day

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 10:34:06 AM »
A little further progress over past few weeks with body now ready for blasting, hope to have this done prior to Christmas.
Found several cracks around where roll bar mounts on side pods, is this common?
Faye appeared a little concerned when I told her that we were now building a little wheeler (flares have been removed), however they will be replaced with slightly wider parts to hide the wheels a little more.

george

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 07:53:29 PM »
Hi all
Have read many times that cleaning parts in Molasses is effective just need to know if parts go in pure molasses or in diluted molasses If diluted what ratio is used how many parts water to molasses
Thanks in advance
George/Mike

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 08:36:03 PM »