Author Topic: Fitting Windscreen Glass into Windscreen frame  (Read 2019 times)

Scoob

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Fitting Windscreen Glass into Windscreen frame
« on: November 05, 2013, 01:31:39 PM »
Hi guys, I feel this will have been covered and I have had a look but came up empty handed.

I have purchased a new frame from M-Parts along with the rubber seals for the glass.
My old glass was laminated (6mm approx. 2 x 3mm)
The old frame had all the hardware in it for canopy fitting and so I have fitted the same hardware to the new frame.

The windscreen replacement company do not believe they can fit a similar piece of glass into the new frame. Reason being that they are fitting the rubber to the glass and then trying to feed it into the frame and hitting the rivets on the inside of the frame.

They have so far tried trimming the rubber (I wish they had asked first) but still will not go in.

I would have thought process would be - Fit rubber into frame, lube rubber and slide glass into rubber within the frame??

any pearls of wisdom on this please.

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

Re: Fitting Windscreen Glass into Windscreen frame
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 02:37:48 PM »
Fit rubber into frame, lube rubber and slide glass into rubber within the frame??

That is the correct procedure.
With the Canopy fittings you can possibly leave them in or put them in after the glass is fitted. Both have Pro's and Con's. If you put them on after the glass is fitted you have to be real carefull you dont break the glass either with the drill or the rivet.

I would have though a Windcreen Comp would have some idea what to do !
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Scoob

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 11:23:08 AM »
Cheers Pete, I went down to the automotive glass factory and in their defence it does appear the rubber supplied has an internal dimension closer to 3-4mm rather than 6mm to accommodate a laminated screen.

There is an option to go toughened @ 4mm but not my preference.

In your experience is the internal dimension of the rubber seal actual glass width or less, like I have?

Either way I cannot see why this is proving to be a hard job when Frame and seals are supplied ex M-Parts. Should be just as a new one.

dumb

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 02:05:46 PM »
Most of the new flat glass laminated screens are 6mm thick, the original glass was 1/4" ,so the old glass is slightly thicker as it was armour plate type glass

When I did mine I bought the rubber set from mini sport in SA and when assembling I removed the pop rivits on the "lift a dot" bases, fitted the rubber into frame, then I used some mineral turps to lube the rubber.  It slipped in easy as ,then held into place with a couple of ratchet straps around glass /frame so I could trim the main rubber to the base frame. The whole windscreen assembly just fell together ,no dramas at all.

You might find that the bottom of the rivits is stopping the rubber from pushing right into the frame.  If you have the screw in type "lift a dot" pins then they would difinately stop the rubber from seating
I'm dumb but my other personality is dumber

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 02:42:06 PM »
The internal rubber gap at the base of extrusion from memory was the same thickness as glass but at the (top)opening was a lot tighter.
When I did mine i used a heap of dish washing liquid and old Pokemon collector cards to slip it all together and it was a real pain in the Bot. I never new Turps was good to lubricate the rubber, thanks for the tip Dumb would be nowhere as messy and slippery as dish washing liquid.
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Mickthemokefull

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 03:31:42 PM »
And just wait till they/you fit a new rubber between the bottom of the frame to the car  :o

The windscreen is the Easy part
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:33:34 PM by Mickthemokefull »

martin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 06:47:07 PM »
Your windscreen Man appeared in my driveway a few nights ago, saw me drive in and came in to see how my screen fitted.
Hope it gets sorted soon as we have had some great moke days recently

Martin
Retired Stormtrooper

Scoob

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 11:23:56 AM »
For the benefit of anyone who has not done this before, I have included below the response I got from M-parts last night.

Response:
I have spoken with our glazing company and we use a 6.4mm laminated glass. This is
not a toughened glass. It is usually difficult to get the glass into the frame. But
if you use the method below and carefully ease the glass in to the frame you would be able
to fit the glass. Therefore allowing you to get the Moke back on the road!

I have attached for you some pictures relating to the fitting of the glass.

With the lengths of the rubber to fit into the frame we fit the lower one to size -
with the top one having excess to allow for you to fit and cut to size. We would as
you suggest fit the rubbers into the frame and then add a lubricating liquid. We
have found that Fairy liquid is a useful product. You then place the glass into the
openings on the top and lower frame and with straps slowly ratchet them together. I
hope that the pictures explain this better.

** Pics will follow, I should have uploaded these first**

Scoob

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 11:31:10 AM »