Author Topic: Final big Round Up reconnaissance run  (Read 977 times)

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

Final big Round Up reconnaissance run
« on: October 05, 2014, 10:57:04 AM »
Had a fantastic day yesterday.

Started off with a run of about an hour with Newie Jr on his L's to the Dungowan Village Fair which includes among other things, a classic car display. KMC (Greg) and I met up with Bainesy and his family for the first time there. He has a nice, original white 80's Moke and we're looking forward to seeing him, his family and the Moke on the Saturday run at the Round Up. Hopefully we'll see more of him afterwards as well, being a new addition to the very small number of local Mokers we have to play with. He shares our view that Mokes are for driving and he's not worried about dirt roads, so we should get along fine  :D

I turned up later than planned, and chatted for a while, but we soon had to go our separate ways. It was only 5 minutes after he left that KMC and I were kicking ourselves that we didn't get some photos. Still, there will no doubt be some taken at the Round Up.

After a bit more chatting with others, KMC, Newie Jr and I set off on the main focus of the day's events - a recce of part of the runs for the Friday and Saturday of Round Up. KMC was planning on bringing his Moke along, but it is in the throes of a major heart transplant, so we all piled into Cool Breeze for the trip.

Perfect weather, the Moke went great even with it's 3 man load, and a nice lunch at a Walcha pub, but we did encounter a bit of an issue  :-\. Although the planned route we had for Saturday is an interesting scenic drive, we have decided it simply takes too long for a day trip with 30 plus Mokes tagging along, so we have devised an alternate route which knocks half an hour or so off it. We have also fine tuned a few details regarding the routes and stops of some of the other days' runs. Nothing to be concerned about, as the destinations remain unchanged and we doubt many people will notice what we've changed unless they're pretty familiar with the local area.

The aim has been to break up the long stretches of driving as much as possible and make sure everyone gets back to Moke Central at a reasonable hour. The geography around Tamworth means that we have to travel a reasonable distance to show people something of interest - there is no beach 15 minutes down the road - so the challenge is to make the drives as interesting and Moke friendly as possible, whilst still covering the necessary kilometres to get to our destination and back. Most days (except Sunday which only involves quite short runs) involve only up to a couple of hours driving to the destination and a couple of hours home, but it's amazing how this gets stretched out with a convoy of Mokes all wanting to travel at different speeds and broken up along the way with a short rest stop or two, so we have done our best to minimise the time on the road as much as possible, whilst still making the drives interesting.

I will modify the main program thread when I get a chance https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php/topic,11199.0.html but as I said, I doubt too many people will notice much difference.

Newie