Author Topic: MDU Recce  (Read 1323 times)

Moke My Day

• Standard
  • Registered Member

MDU Recce
« on: December 26, 2014, 05:07:23 PM »
Mr and Mrs MMD are having a Tassie break between Christmas and New Year to check on the 3 caravan parks and day trips for MDU in March.
1st day out and we have completed the Devonport to Stanley stage, however being Boxing Day several of the stop-off points were closed (and will need a re-visit).
We can confirm that a detour into Dip Falls (as recommended by Mr and Mrs SharaDust) will now form part of Day 1.

Caravan Park at Stanley is well aware of your planned 2 night stay in March 2015 and I will spend time with Fiona tomorrow checking on bookings she has and compare that to the registrations I have received.

Moke My Day

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: MDU Recce
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 08:33:06 AM »
A tour around the Smithton area has now allowed us to set the route for our 2nd day of the Western Wander.
After the early morning sprint (on foot) up the Nut we will drive into Smithton for a short stop-over and then onto Montagu and then to Ann Bay Marrawah (Host to the Rip Curl West Coast Classic each year when surfers from around the world rock into this area of Tasmania). This route has about 20km of unsealed road however there is an alternative all sealed road that will cater for those wanting to stay on the bitumen. We will then drive onto Arthur River for lunch at the "Edge of the World" lookout. Depending on the tide some beach driving maybe available for some.

We will then contrinue the loop taking in Sumac Lookout and Edith Creek.

A check with the caravan park at Stanley shows some 19 Mokes at this stage are booked in with several others known to making their bookings soon. The park has only a few cabins and camp sites left so get in quick.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 08:34:52 AM »
Hi,

is Arthur River where the big slide is through the rainforest?

Terry

Moke My Day

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »
Hi,

is Arthur River where the big slide is through the rainforest?

Terry
The slide you are thinking of I believe is the tarkine forest adventures dismal swampslide into the tarkine
http://dismalswamptasmania.com.au/ (beware this link will download a 1gb frontpage with a few pretty pictures, not mobile plan friendly at all...terry)
I haven't been there myself and didn't check it out as I have had mixed feedback about it plus it is more like an attraction where you need to spend time to justify the entry cost.
I believe it is closer to Smithton than Arthur River and could be of interest to some if they don't want to take the Sunday drive.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 07:25:16 PM by Terry »

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 07:29:50 PM »
Rod,

Thanks, that is the one I was thinking about. If you exclude the pregnancy condition,  I fail to pass 3 out of the other five conditions for being allowed to ride on the slide, but still it looks like a cool way to see a hole in the ground and different from the sinkholes we saw last year. :)

Terry

Moke My Day

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 07:43:16 PM »
May have found location for Moke Central for our rest day in Strahan during the Western Wander.
This spot is within 50 metres of caravan park.

Also checked out Ocean Beach and hopefully weather will be a little warmer and drier during March 2015 and tide late afternoon will give us a bit more sand to play in.

ratty

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 07:49:55 PM »
Rod/Faye
Doing a top job.
Cheers Ratty
Where do all the little tubes go from CRC can ?
Blue moke
Yellow moke
Subaru Forester

Moke My Day

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 05:02:36 PM »
Did the Strahan to Hobart drive today, great Mokin' road however I do hope the weather is a little better in 8 weeks time.
Coming out of Queenstown spotted a waterfall that hopefully you won't see in March as it only flows during very heavy rain periods (like this morning).

We do plan to stop down the road a little further to visit the Nelson Falls however as it was still raining at that time only captured a photo of the creek at the carpark.

With all 3 caravan parks checked looks like we will have at least 25 mokes on the West Coast Wander and close to 40 mokes in Hobart.  excellent however we would like more. If you are still considering then cabins and sites are still available but not a lot left.

CabSav

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 05:53:07 PM »
Looking forward to it Rod.
You are doing an excellent job at tour recon!
Been there.... Done that.... And still out doing it!

the family is growing - Buttercup, Cabsav, Resto & Gifthorse!!!! wow - oh! and Zac's Mini!!!

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 07:02:06 PM »
Rod,

excellent work on the tour and photos. A couple of more from around Hobart and we wont even need to leave home. :)

Terry

Moke My Day

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 08:42:02 PM »
Rod,

excellent work on the tour and photos. A couple of more from around Hobart and we wont even need to leave home. :)

Terry
sorry Terry, took a couple of photos from cabin door this morning of sun rise however not the best shots so left them on the camera and went and checked out the Sydney to Hobart yachts.

Mr and Mrs MMD had a meeting last night with Tim, Mel and James, with just over 8 weeks to go before the WCW commences and 9 weeks tomorrow till Hobart sections gets underway we believe we have the drives (i's) sorted just now need to cross the T's.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 11:21:21 PM »
Nice  ;)
I like the rotunda in Strahan, looks like a top spot for Moke Central, rain or shine  8)
Thanks Guys, your doin a top job :)
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Farkles

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Farkles
Re: dismal swamp
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 08:44:58 PM »
Old Fart and Farkles visited  Dismal Swamp 8 years ago. Old Fart had a bad back and couldn't go down but we enjoyed the forest walk. Not sure how much.