austmoke

Author Topic: How wide are the stock sunny rims  (Read 1137 times)

dacjac

• Standard
  • Registered Member

How wide are the stock sunny rims
« on: May 13, 2015, 11:31:33 AM »
Hi,

I have a few questions relating to rim width and track width.

Firstly, how wide is the standard Californian sunny? Where is the measurement taken from inside or out side the lips? The tyres are still on mine so I can master by placing straight edges on the outside of the lips and get around 160 mm which converts to about 6", does that sound correct?

The next issue/question is relating to track width, I have found some info in another thread that says front track width of a big wheel moke is 1447mm where can I find the manufacturers info on this to show my engineer.
Also on track width, speaking with my engineer he tells me track is measured from centre of wheel to centre of wheel, this being said different models with different rim and brake combinations must have a different track width! Or am I missing something.

Thanks,

Al.

Al

I'm getting closer 150 BHP Vtec moke😁

Budget... I didn't know anything about a budget... I must have missed that memo.

moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: How wide are the stock sunny rims
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 04:16:30 PM »
The rims are 5.5" wide.
Dean
It's hard to leave when you can't find the door - Joe Walsh

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 09:28:33 PM »
I have found some info in another thread that says front track width of a big wheel moke is 1447mm where can I find the manufacturers info on this to show my engineer.

Hi Al,

Unfortunately I think that figure of 1447mm might be a mistake on Leyland's part. :-\ That is what is written in some owners manuals, but it also gives the imperial measurement of 49 inches - which converts to 1245mm, and is the figure found in all the brochures.

What might help you a though is the Californian specs with the wider wheels, which give 1441mm on the front. How you get another 200mm track by using 25mm wider rims I don't know! And I imagine you want it as wide as possible, so we won't ask. ;)

I can provide you with a copy of the specs page from the 1980 owners manual with that figure on it. Here's a rough copy....

Cheers, MD.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 09:58:38 PM »
The 1447 is pretty close to the overall width of a big wheel moke body, as MD's pic shows it at 1448 but I'm not sure if that includes the mirrors, a front track of about 1245 would be about right.

I hope the engineer is going to ping you for going too wide!
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 11:50:10 PM »
Also on track width, speaking with my engineer he tells me track is measured from centre of wheel to centre of wheel, this being said different models with different rim and brake combinations must have a different track width! Or am I missing something.

My understanding is that the importance of wheel offsets, spacers etc. is that the centreline of the wheel should be above the centreline between the two wheel bearings.

So going by the references I have here the original 10" standard wheels were 3.5" wide and had drums with no spacer so it could be assumed that the centreline's were aligned. The standard 13" Moke rim  was 4.5" and thus a 0.5"(1"increase divide by 2=0.5") spacer on the drum was used. The Sunraysia rims came out at 5.5" so the spacer was increased to 1" to accommodate the 2" increase over the original 3.5". So hence the centreline remains the same on all three models.

Whether Leyland always correctly fitted the right drum for the wheel, or just fitted what they had available could be debated, but in theory the centreline should not change as long as the offset of the various rims remain at 33mm, which according to my book they did, and the correct drum spacer is fitted.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

dacjac

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 08:15:18 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the info.

Terry your description clarifies my variation query.

MD that's the info I'm after for the engineer, he sent me to an RMS website that stores this type of info but there where a lot of blank fields on the Moke.

Cheers,

Al
Al

Budget... I didn't know anything about a budget... I must have missed that memo.

tasmoken

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 07:18:01 PM »
Terry is the offset of 33mm from the centreline of the rim towards the drum ?
Moking
A Way Of Life
Unashamed and Unrestrained

dacjac

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 07:49:49 PM »
Tas,

Hope this helps, the Moke wheels have a positive offset.

Al