Author Topic: 1980 Cali rebuild.... Let the games begin  (Read 5079 times)

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

1980 Cali rebuild.... Let the games begin
« on: February 14, 2016, 12:35:22 AM »
I've been on the forum for about a month now going through the vast info on here. After seeing everyone's awesome mokes and reading through rebuild stories I thought I would put some stuff up here as I go along with the work (no doubt I will be asking for help along the way).

She has been in the family since about 1985 and sat still for quite a few years after the rego ran out so as you would expect things stop working and others seize up. Long story short it was originally my mums but was eventually passed on to me and in January this year I decided to do a full strip and rebuild (with the help of my dad even though he hasn't actually volunteered.... Yet)  :o
This is what she looks like to start, compared to other "starting" mokes she is actually not too bad but I'm hoping that the more layers the come off there aren't too many surprises....

dacjac

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: 1980 Cali rebuild.... Let the games begin
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 08:30:35 AM »
Hi Beno,

That looks great, looks like the floors are still good, gal body too,is it?
Is the motor running? What size engine and what year is it?
Are you sticking with the same colour scheme?

Cheers,

Al.
Al

I'm getting closer 150 BHP Vtec moke😁

Budget... I didn't know anything about a budget... I must have missed that memo.

kerryned

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 08:40:45 AM »
Good Looking starting piece Beno.

Enjoy the ride, Trust me the reward at the end is well worth any trouble you run into on the way.

ED  ;D 8)

SuzukiMoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Back to one again
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 10:29:20 AM »
Great project there Beno - looks like a very sound base to start from.  Enjoy the journey

Cheers Adrian

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 11:19:41 AM »
It's a 1275 engine and thankfully the galv body but I guess you never know until the blast. I've been reading quite a few posts regarding soda blast etc but they are a few years old now so I'm not sure if there's anything new out there that would be less harsh on the galv body? Any thoughts?

I'll keep her as close to the original colour that I can and under all the caked on dirt found the paint code so hopefully it's still around.

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 11:31:10 AM »
I would like to say that all the bolts and fixings have been coming out easily whilst stripping out the 'interior' but that would be a big fat lie and looks like those year outside has helped rust them together.

I'll get the interior stripped then start on the engine bay. The engine hadn't been used for a while and even after trying to get her running the plugs turned black with oil within the fifteen minutes of trying to turn her over. There were a few other issues with the engine but hopefully nothing major., I think it was at that point I thought I may as well start from scratch.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 06:42:50 PM »
Hi,

I think you have a very good example of an original Moke, except the steering wheel, so it would be nice to see it restored to its former glory. The floor is good and the seats looks like they have lasted better than most, and nothing else looks like it has been molested.

The engine could be used badly worn rings which there are some stories of Moke of that vintage not lasting very long before the rings needed to be replaced. If you have the equipment to do a compression test I would try that.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 09:13:58 PM »
Looks like you have a good project there Beno. I wil be watching the thread with interest. My Moke is a 1980 Californian, which was also Devil Yellow. It has been painted a brighter yellow during it's life, but the inside of the removable panels are still the original colour.
1980 Moke Californian 1275 - The minibeast

Yellow Mokes Rule!

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 12:27:00 AM »
Removing the clutch and brake master cylinders and eventually the pedals from inside the cab proved to be a real pain in the arse. The two clevis pins holding the master cylinders in were turned in such a way that made getting that 'r' clip out nearly impossible but after some fiddling about eventually managed to get them out. The cab is looking a lot more naked now.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 12:58:51 AM »
Removing the clutch and brake master cylinders and eventually the pedals from inside the cab proved to be a real pain in the arse. The two clevis pins holding the master cylinders in were turned in such a way that made getting that 'r' clip out nearly impossible but after some fiddling about eventually managed to get them out.
Hi,
Maybe a pain, but wait till your trying to put them back in  ::), that will test you as well  :).
Its good to see you've tagged the wiring loom, it will save a lot colour matching later.
HP

The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 02:25:57 AM »
It's a 1275 engine and thankfully the galv body but I guess you never know until the blast. I've been reading quite a few posts regarding soda blast etc but they are a few years old now so I'm not sure if there's anything new out there that would be less harsh on the galv body? Any thoughts?

Hi Beno,

Ah yes, my favourite.... a nice early 80's 1275 Californian. They don't get any better than that! ;D

For the body do a google on diamond blast or carbon blast. It promises to be better than soda and sounds good, but that's third hand and I've never had a moke done with it.

Hi,

I think you have a very good example of an original Moke, except the steering wheel, so it would be nice to see it restored to its former glory. The floor is good and the seats looks like they have lasted better than most, and nothing else looks like it has been molested.

The engine could be used badly worn rings which there are some stories of Moke of that vintage not lasting very long before the rings needed to be replaced. If you have the equipment to do a compression test I would try that.

Terry

I have been told some of the early A+ 1275 motors suffered from porous bores and/or bad casting. I don't know the true story, but of all my 1275 Californians only one has the original engine.... ::)

If I had the matching number engine and the bore was stuffed, I'd have it sleeved just to keep the moke original! ;)

Cheers, MD.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 12:37:03 AM »
Well the engine and front subframe all out in one hit, I feel like I've taken more photos than a wedding photographer so I'm hoping it pays off when I have to put it all back together.

Also, thanks to Halfpints instructions, the rear subframe is out as well.

I'm not sure that the rubber cone from the front suspension should have all this crap in it, time for new goodies to be ordered.

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 08:36:12 AM »
Well done Beno.  I'm not sure what the crap is coming out of the rubber doughnut is either, perhaps some wear from inside the trumpet.. Either way, you need some new doughnuts. That one is pretty flat.

This is one of my front doughnuts next to a the new one we put in.

You may also want to think about hilos instead of the trumpets. That way you can adjust the suspension height as the doughnut flattens over time.
1980 Moke Californian 1275 - The minibeast

Yellow Mokes Rule!

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 09:13:57 AM »
Yep, well done Beno  :)
It doesnt take all that long to pull apart when you - 1) make the decision to do it, and - 2) get started  ;) ;D.

The white powder from the suspension trumpets is common when a Moke hasnt been pulled apart for,,,, well  ,,,, a while !  ;) Its oxidation and basicaly the aluminium is rusting :( .

I agree with the Mellow one, save a little longer and replace the front trumpet with a good quality Hi/Lo. Not the back though, their much tougher and I think last better, mainly because they cant hold water ( being horizontal, as apposed to vertical like the front ones).

Anyway were jumping ahead way too far, Whats left?
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 09:35:57 AM »
Well... The tank is out too, I thought it might be a problem because when I took the cover off and had a look the rubber elbow going from filler to tank had the hose clamps facing the other way! After swearing a bit decided just to drop the tank and see how it went. After a bit of wiggle the tank dropped nicely and the filler elbow came off no probs.

Lost of nasty crap inside the tank though...