Author Topic: 1980 Cali rebuild.... Let the games begin  (Read 4392 times)

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: 1980 Cali rebuild.... Let the games begin
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2020, 05:43:34 PM »
Firstly happy New Years to everyone, hope it was a good one for all.

So following my last issue of lock nuts on tie rod ends not playing nicely, thanks to your advice I found putting a jack underneath it with a small piece of timber and putting some pressure on them has done the trick! (I’ll post some photos of progress soon).

Now for the next hiccup. My older fuel filler elbow has seen better days and from what I can tell the inside diameter is 54mm. However, finding a replacement one has been very difficult and the closest i can find is about 57mm.

My question is, will this plus larger size some hose clamps be sufficient or is there a specific reason this thing has to be 54mm and super tight?

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2020, 02:58:03 PM »
Hi all, can anyone tell me what welch plugs do and when/how are they fitted?

yellaterra

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2020, 07:30:04 PM »
  Hi Beno.   Welsh plugs are used to keep water in your engine and are either steel or brass depending on choice. Some engine builders still use the steel ones from long ago. Younger engine builders like the brass copper ones as many engines now run radiator additives which they feel are less corrosive on then then on the steel ones. Personal choice really, anyhow, you need to use one or the other to fill the holes in your block created from when the molten metal was poured into moulds to make the engine. Fitting them requires some wet sandpaper to clean the hole, a steel or brass welsh plug that tightly fits the hole a socket of about two thirds of the size, some lock tight to seal the water jacket and a hard engineering hammer. Coat the welsh plug with the sealer, place in hole opening and using the socket gently tap the plug about half way into hole check it’s going in ok then a few more taps with socket finish fitting by gently tapping around the outside of the welsh plug until it sits flush with the block. Repeat method until all holes are filled to keep the coolant in your engine and on some engines a similar plug is used in the rear to keep oil in the engine.

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2020, 09:07:07 PM »
Yellaterra you’re awesome, thanks heaps!
Took some effort and fiddling about but got all five of them in  ;D

Now onto the next bit and my next question. Do all Mokes have a packing washer in between the engine steady bar bracket on clutch side?

Beno

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2020, 12:27:20 AM »
Here’s  some progress photos....

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2020, 01:53:34 AM »
Hi Beno,

Wow! :o That looks fantastic! Great job! ;D

Do all Mokes have a packing washer in between the engine steady bar bracket on clutch side?

If you mean on the engine, some did and some didn't. Here's a scan from the parts book that might help...

Cheers, MD.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!