Author Topic: Quirindi back roads  (Read 688 times)

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

Quirindi back roads
« on: April 10, 2016, 10:54:05 PM »
Myself, Newie Jr, KMC and a ring in Vietnam era Army Land Rover mate spent a great day today checking out some of the more scenic roads between Quirindi and Tamworth.

It's extremely dry up here at the moment and has been for some time now, but we managed to find several showers of rain along the way to settle some of the dust, as well as a couple of inexplicably deep water crossings which saw both Cool Breeze and the new acquisition pulled up on the other side of them while we dried out the dissy caps. KMC and Calvin (his Moke) proved that this can be been avoided if you drive more sensibly  ::).

Other than this and a niggling issue with a sticking float on the carby in the new one, things went very well

A lot more pics to share, but all I'm getting is error messages when I try to load them, so will come back to it in a day or two after we've sorted out the problem...

Newie

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Quirindi back roads
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 08:49:19 AM »
Looks good there Newie. Congrats on "the new aquisition". I'm looking forward to a run to Tamworth again. Although, I think I'm still getting dust out from the last Roundup.  ;) :D
1980 Moke Californian 1275 - The minibeast

Yellow Mokes Rule!

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 04:42:12 PM »
Thanks Mellow. You know what they say - if you're not still finding dust in your Moke 12 months later, you haven't really done the Round Up  ;).
If you're worried about the dust next time, we can take you along here if you like. It will at least rinse off the underneath and engine bay  ;D

You have also reminded me that I never got back to putting the rest of the photos up after the earlier "technical difficulties"

KMC seemed to get through the water with less coughing and spluttering than Newie Jr and myself, which we initially put down to a more sensible driving style, but now looking back at the photos, I'm wondering whether it may have been the borrowed Cummins power from the windscreen sticker that got him through  ;)

We all made it through all of the crossings, however Newie Jr driving Cool Breeze took the prize for the wettest dissy. Water was dripping out of the cover when he took it off after the first crossing.

Tested out another track which I haven't taken a Moke across before. A lot drier than the other road, but the grass on the centre hump certainly polished up the floors for us. Our mate in the Land Rover was worried enough about the lack of recovery points on the Mokes to tie the rope to the substantial bullbar of my new Moke which looks the part in these  rough track pics, but things would end badly if we had actually tried using it  ::). Thankfully his lack of faith in the Mokes getting through was outweighed by our total faith and no ropes were necessary  8)

All in all a great day out  :)

Newie

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 05:30:38 PM »
Looking good there Newie, you are getting me excited already and I haven't even book holidays or the boat.

Though you might challenge the little wheeler with your centre ridges. Might be worth me checking that my front and rear bars are REALLY well anchored to the body. And maybe test the sump gaurd.

Was only talking to James Willson about freshening up the AA's motor ready for the trip. I've covered over 8000 k's since Mokin Down Under and I have no idea what mileage this motor had done before I fitted it. And there were comments on the smoke I blew back then and for a motor that revs like it does, I wouldn't expect any more than 10000 k's between rebuilds. Compression test coming up over the weekend.

So it looks like I should wind up the front ready for my trip, should I make jacking rings for the back? 

Cheers

Dev
The Angry Ant has overcome 77Devil.
Watch out for the Ant!

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 06:04:03 PM »
you are getting me excited already and I haven't even book holidays or the boat.

Well what are you waiting for??? That's a job for you tomorrow morning then Dev  :D

We're organising a few runs like this and I'd love to see you tag along on them, but I don't want people to get scared - when they get this serious we always have an alternate route as well because we understand that these sort of tracks are not for everyone. As Mellow indicated earlier, if you come on our pre-weekend runs you will certainly get dusty and/or muddy and you may have a few more screws loose than when you started, but we don't want to break anyone's Moke  :-\ (no guarantees though  ;) ). The Saturday and Sunday runs are always 100% bitumen though so that everyone can join in.

The irony with the sump guard option is that if we'd had them on, we would have bottomed out for sure. As we didn't have them, we were OK (just) as we had that extra couple of inches of clearance. You would have to be unlucky (or possibly just drive like Smokey, Terry, Biggles Newie etc  ;)) to need a sump guard on one of our trips.

Being a Little Wheeler, Hi lo's would be handy to jack the front up though (just dont go too far) and jacking rings are probably a good idea, but more for the trip down with the luggage in the back than the runs around Tamworth. The trouble with jacking the front up with Hi lo'sof course is that it doesn't change how high the subframe, sump etc is off the ground

I think the only person I've seen pulled out with a snatch strap over all three Round Ups was Biggles, when he was playing around and underestimated just how wet a table drain was  ;D. In most cases there are 20 fellow Mokers standing around who are more than happy to push you out.

KMC

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 06:48:26 PM »
KMC seemed to get through the water with less coughing and spluttering than Newie Jr and myself, which we initially put down to a more sensible driving style, but now looking back at the photos, I'm wondering whether it may have been the borrowed Cummins power from the windscreen sticker that got him through  ;)

Tested out another track which I haven't taken a Moke across before. A lot drier than the other road, but the grass on the centre hump certainly polished up the floors for us. Our mate in the Land Rover was worried enough about the lack of recovery points on the Mokes to tie the rope to the substantial bullbar of my new Moke which looks the part in these  rough track pics, but things would end badly if we had actually tried using it  ::) . Thankfully his lack of faith in the Mokes getting through was outweighed by our total faith and no ropes were necessary  8)

All in all a great day out  :)

A couple of points that must be noted are "Cummins sticker" needs the word temporary added before it! And there was no coughing or spluttering from the newly improved Calvin  8) (and it's wasn't the sticker!).

Indeed it was a great day out, and the "ye of little (Moke) faith" Landie driver was quite surprised!

Thanks for the great pics, Newie. It'll soon be time for another test run  ;) .

..KMC

2020 Moke Round Up Tamworth : www.MokeRoundUp.com.au

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 07:03:09 PM »
Well what are you waiting for??? That's a job for you tomorrow morning then Dev

Being a Little Wheeler, Hi lo's would be handy to jack the front up though (just dont go too far) and jacking rings are probably a good idea, but more for the trip down with the luggage in the back than the runs around Tamworth. The trouble with jacking the front up with Hi lo'sof course is that it doesn't change how high the subframe, sump etc is off the ground

Sorry, Newie but I have got to disagree with you here. Well at least I think do. My subframe including motor are bolted hard to my body.  When I wind my high lows up, my body lifts accordingly, as this body is bolted straight to my subframe, I am pretty sure this lifts my gear box further from the ground.

Cheers.
Dev. (I'm counting on it anyway)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:15:12 PM by 77Devil »
Watch out for the Ant!

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 07:20:41 PM »

In most cases there are 20 fellow Mokers standing around who are more than happy to push you out.

More than happy, well that's after we've all stopped laughing at those needing help  ;D

Newie, hi-lo's will give more ground clearance but you need to watch the angle of the driveshafts
as they can make some nasty CV joint noises.

Dev, your main problem is your exhaust, keep it up nice and high and you'll go almost anywhere us 'big blokes' go.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 08:24:42 PM »

Dev, your main problem is your exhaust, keep it up nice and high and you'll go almost anywhere us 'big blokes' go.

I have mine hugging my body quite tight thank you. That and my superior driving skills! What could there ever be to worry about?

Are you worried yet!  You should be, it will be your backs at risk, lifting me out.

Watch out for the Ant!

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 09:57:49 PM »
OK then Dev, screw up those hi lo's and join the conga line  :D

All of the roads we do during the Round Up are always tested by at least one or two of our combined Moke fleet (KMC's and mine). None of these are jacked up above standard (indeed some are sagged well below that) and they are certainly not modified to the offroad standards of the outback tourers on here, so we figure that if we can get through without too much trouble, most others will too. That said, we're also not overly precious with the paint work etc  ;).

Moe makes a good point about the exhaust and I have to confess that mine looks like it's been attacked with a sledge hammer (OK, so not all test runs are a success  :) ). That said, I was very disappointed with my exhaust guy's interpretation of keeping it close to the floor and up inside the rear subframe. I plan on taking the resultant mess back to him and inviting him to try again.

Newie

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 11:56:38 PM »
Its good to see you are still finding lots of those " Off the beaten Track" places guys  8).
Looking forward to checking out some more again  :)
Its top country up there.
HP
I'm going to seal my dizzie  ;), I hope  ;D
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 07:27:42 AM »
I'm going to seal my dizzie  ;), I hope  ;D

I was reminded of my intentions to do the same after that weekend HP. On the "to do" list somewhere...