Author Topic: Need some wheel science answers  (Read 875 times)

T.O.M

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Need some wheel science answers
« on: April 18, 2016, 11:15:30 AM »
Hi all
      Have a couple of questions.Sorry about the basic questions,still learning about moke science
Picked up some 5 1/2 rims but i have the front subframe out at the moment{a few more months} so cannot play with the rims yet.
   The front rims i had on where 6 inch with 175/70 tyres and rubbed a bit on the drivers side on full lock.Don't know the proper term but the replacements have a 20mm shallower rear clearance and thinking of 185/70 tyres.

# Will this stop the rubbing and give me a bit of a tighter turning circle?
# With 185's on the front will the steering be a pain or ok ,only be a little bit heavier?
#  I know with the rims being 20mm further out is harder on the bearings but will this cause any loss of sleep.
# Will 185's fit safely on 5 1/2 rims without problems.
Put one rim on the rear and it gives me 20mm more clearance from trailing arm bolt.
Now for the big one can anyone one recommend some good 185/70's not many around.

Sorry about the number of questions still learning about mokes, but learning fast.
Cheers all 

T.O.M

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Need some wheel science answers
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 11:17:05 AM »
Sorry been looking at some TOYO 350 TYRES ANY GOOD?

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

Re: Need some wheel science answers
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 11:25:52 AM »
I just put some Toyo 350's on the front, only done 200ks and seem fine. Like you mention not many choices now that Bridgestone stopped making them.
Had toyos previously on other cars never a problem.
I'm running 185/70 on standard disc brake sunraysia have a little wheel rub on full lock that I live with, as hardly use full lock. No problems with steering otherwise.
Best talk to the tyre people about what is the max size tyre suitable for a rim.
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"