Author Topic: Sump Guard  (Read 5208 times)

thorlek

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

Sump Guard
« on: April 19, 2016, 09:48:37 AM »
Hey All,

Do people use Sump Guards on their Mokes?

I got one on the weekend with a Moke I bought, its heavy as all hell, and has an excellent patina, but would clean up perfectly with a wire wheel and some paint.

i guess i need to know if its something I should keep, or sell or pass on or what ever

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

Re: Sump Guard
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 09:58:50 AM »
I got one with MM, took it off the first day I got it and it has sat behind the shed since.
I keep thinking off getting a couple of slots cut in the front and putting some fancy grille work across the holes and getting it hot dip galv, but..... ::)
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 10:24:45 AM »
Hi,
If you dont think you need it, you probably dont need it.
But, if you want to drive in some harsh conditions, like down a serious off road track, or even a flight of stairs from time to time, it may come in handy.There is a lot of "for" and "against" with them. But for me, I like to have one handy, better to carry a little extra weight, than tow a much bigger one ;)
Spose its like the tyre protectors on the trailing arm pins, Until something goes wrong, thats when you wish you had it covered  :-X
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 01:08:36 PM »
Hi,

On a 1275 some people think you need to run oil coolers if you have a sump guard but with some holes cut into the front I know of someone's Moke that runs fine. I tend to agree with HP in that unless you are planning to travel on bush roads or tracks where the wheel ruts tend to lower the clearance to the sump so they can be good protection, but they are not needed on stairs. :)

If you like getting muddy then they can cause problems with the flat bottom 'suctioning' onto the mud making it near impossible to lift out of a bog and because of the angle if you try to tow it backwards it will become a shovel and dig you deeper.

Terry

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 09:07:39 PM »
It is a good discussion topic, and lots of good reasons to use one, and just as many not to.
Just recently I've seen some Aluminium cut down ones off a Rover Mini that looked like a good option for a soft roader (Mainly road with the odd dirt track ). Haven't seen them fitted to a Moke, but assume the holes would line up.
At the Shep Muster there were a few nice after market alloy ones that looked great and had ventilation holes which would also help with weight.

I know the steel ones are very heavy and cumbersome, need to be removed to change the oil, a pain if you happen to drop something like a spanner or a nut, as well as all the things Terry mentioned etc, but I like to have one ready to fit when I want to go on a long trip where I'm not sure what I'm going to come across.
It doesn't take long to remove if I have to, and anyway, for most of the time it just sits in the shed ready to go  :).

HP

The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 09:24:01 PM »
My moke came with a sump guard. It is a pain to remove it for an oil change, just because it takes a bit of time. But there is access to the sump plug if you have the right type oof spanner. Mine is off at the moment as I was doing a few oil changes to experiment with the smoke at start up problem. It is still off for the "renovation" work that is being done. If I am heading off for a longer run, other than to and from work, I will be putting it back on. Just a bit of protection and piece of mind I guess.
1980 Moke Californian 1275 - The minibeast

Yellow Mokes Rule!

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 09:58:05 PM »

Just recently I've seen some Aluminium cut down ones off a Rover Mini that looked like a good option for a soft roader (Mainly road with the odd dirt track ). Haven't seen them fitted to a Moke, but assume the holes would line up.

HP

Alpine Moke lent/gave me a couple of Rover alloy ones to play with and they don't bolt straight on. All would need the rear mount holes to be drilled in the subframe, on the flat below the lower control arm mount. There are two different mounting options on the ones I have here and either you need to put two new holes in your subframe across the front or drill four holes in the sump guard to match the Moke holes.

Haven't into them any further once i saw they need work to fit.

Terry

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 10:10:35 PM »
Ok, thanks Terry.
Do you think there may be differences from an auto compared to a manual, hence the 2 different mounting options?
So a little bit of work to get them to fit then, oh well, they looked ok though.
HP

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 10:26:34 PM »
Ok, thanks Terry.
Do you think there may be differences from an auto compared to a manual, hence the 2 different mounting options?
So a little bit of work to get them to fit then, oh well, they looked ok though.
HP

Could be, but never really taken a close look at a late model Mini to know.

I think I took some photos.

Terry

alpine moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 07:55:27 AM »
You are correct Halfpint, the alloy sump guards were removed from Rover mini automatic subframes.

The automatic engine and gearboxes are a tad wider then the manual gearbox's and do sit lower in the subframes.

I have fitted a 1992 model auto subframe to my 1966 little wheeler moke, I have used 10 mm steel spacers under the engine mounts to
get the manual gearbox to fit correctly.

Alpine moke
You never actually own a Moke.
 You merely look after it for the next generation.

smokey

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    SMOKEY
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 07:07:59 PM »
     I would be interested to see a photo of one if someone has any     Hopefully they are not as blunt nosed as the original

Smokey

bnicho

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• "Why don’t all cars have no doors? When I come to power I’m going to make it a rule, because this is just better!" - Jeremy Clarkson.

• Personal Text
    Sell my Moke? I'd rather sit on a cactus!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 09:14:56 PM »
DAV the rally van had an ex-Rover Auto alloy subframe for the 2013 shitbox rally.  It was bent out of shape by the end of the journey.  It only took a few good knocks before it was pushed hard up against the sump.  Since then we have run a standard Aussie Moke sump guard on it.  It has copped some good hits including launching the car off a rock near Birdsville and survived very well.  Hence it's my preference now. 
Brett Nicholson (bnicho)
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1965 BMC Mini Diesel Tractor
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super Deluxe - Audrey
1973 Land Rover S3 88 inch - Gilbert
2007 Land Rover Freelander 2
2013 Toyota Prado

thorlek

• Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 10:55:13 AM »
     I would be interested to see a photo of one if someone has any     Hopefully they are not as blunt nosed as the original

This is the one I have, It must weigh at least 10kg

Smoota

• Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 10:59:09 AM »
I just put the same sump guard on my moke not a crazy amount of weight either
Hopefully I'll never need to use it lol

All the holes lined up and was easy to get on by myself

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 07:10:32 PM »
Thorlek's photos are the same as my sump guard. There was one sold on ebay in Sydney just recently.
1980 Moke Californian 1275 - The minibeast

Yellow Mokes Rule!