Author Topic: Round Up 2017 - Thursday - Off to Quirindi  (Read 1004 times)

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

Round Up 2017 - Thursday - Off to Quirindi
« on: April 09, 2017, 03:19:28 PM »
My plan here is to do a bit of a blog for each day when I get the time. I've started with Thursday, because that was probably my personal favourite day in the end. It was certainly eventful and hard work for KMC and myself, but a lot of fun had in the end.Spoiler alert, but my day started before dawn assessing how wet it had been overnight and worrying about how much wetter it would get throughout the day as the forecast was not good  :-\.

In true Moking fashion though, we soldiered on, although the weather did force us to change Thursday's activities for Friday's.

It was a damp, but cheerful group of Mokers who gathered under the shelter of the camp kitchen at Moke Central for the day's briefing. Numbers were understandably down, with quite a few deciding that it either wasn't worth the risk or maybe just the effort of going out in the wet weather - the forecast was for heavy rain on Thursday, but clearing over night, so I guess they figured (correctly) that there was still plenty of mild weather Moking to be done later.

The first leg was what we classified as the "had to be done" leg and was pretty much just a straight run up the highway to Wallabadah for morning tea at the First Fleet Memorial Park there. Due to the wet weather, we decided it would be prudent to split the group of 21 starters into two. I led the first group and ran into trouble straight away with my own Moke (always good when the lead vehicle has trouble). It was only running on three cylinders due to some sort of an electrical fault, but after a quick road side assessment failed to solve it, we decided to press on so that we kept in front of the following group.

A 998 on three cylinders runs fine downhill, but I set a pretty slow pace of 60 - 70 up some of the steeper hills  :-[. It was found to be a faulty spark plug lead at the morning tea stop, and luckily Smokey had a spare on board, so we were back in business  8)

Turns out we needn't have worried about the tail group catching up anyway, as they had their own issues with a couple of Mokes not liking all of the moisture and wet roads. Still, nothing serious and the rain miraculously stopped for us just as we hit Wallabadah and everyone had a chance to regroup and sort out their niggling wet weather issues.

More later on the second leg of the day, which got considerably more interesting and adventurous for some  ;)

Newie

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

Re: Round Up 2017 - Thursday - Off to Quirindi
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 07:36:53 PM »
From Wallabadah we split up into two groups. KMC led a small group along the bitumen into Quirindi for lunch, while the rest of us headed off down an alternate track into town known for it's multiple water crossings.

We were a little surprised by how many wanted to come along to play in the mud and water as the last time we did this run, we only had half a dozen takers and these were the likes of Biggles, Halfpint, Smokey and Terry who are all well known bush bashers. This time however, there were twice as many, and a few of them had not done much or any of this sort of driving before.

Still, if they were brave enough to give it a go, we were happy to take them  :). After all, part of what the Round Up is about is giving people the confidence to go places and do things they'd never do on their own. Everyone needs to be aware of their own limitations and needs to accept the possibility that things don't always go according to plan, but we do our best to make sure that no one gets hurt and hopefully no Moke gets hurt (too badly...  ::)). We've proved that we stand by the unofficial Moke Round Up motto that "No Moke Gets Left Behind" many times over the years, and several times again during the 2017 event, and that seems to give people the confidence to have a go.

We were well aware (and made sure everyone else was too) that it was not just a possibility that some Mokes would get stuck in and around the water crossings - it was pretty much guaranteed. The only bit we were unsure of was just how many we would be pushing/pulling out.

Anyway, there were more than a couple who got stuck and consequently, although we allowed an hour and a half for what is normally a 15 - 20 minute drive into Quirindi, it took well over two hours and we were all a little late for lunch. Still, all the feedback I received was positive and so far as I'm aware there were no regrets and everyone had a great time.

Alan S is a classic example of a city dweller who is keen to have a go and not afraid to get his very nice Moke a bit dirty. He even had a couple of tow points installed before leaving home, so he must have heard some rumours  ;). His comment to me during the Wednesday dirt road run (which was hot and dusty in stark contrast to Thursday) was " I wouldn't say I've never been on a gravel road before, but I can't remember when the last time was".

Still he had a go, and ended up here, so he got the full experience  ;D

Mrs Alan S was happy enough with the experience so far though, and declined the bonus tow ride out off the creek.

She abandoned ship very quickly once they reached dry(ish) land and the tow ropes came out  ;D

A bit unfair to single them out though (sorry Al) as they were far from the only ones in the same predicament - - just the ones I had the best photos of  :)

To share some of the love around, I should also point out that Dynky Moke was the first one dragged out and spending some time drying out the electrics

Woody decided to be different and rather than doing the usual Moke thing of stopping due to wet electrics, won the award for the lowest exhaust. This was judged by him being the first (and only) one to break an exhaust bracket. It was too hard to tie back up, so the decision was made to take it off and run with a new "high mount" exhaust back to Quirindi, which proved to be extremely loud.

Luckily my regular mechanic in Quirindi had time to fix it up for him and had him back on the road by the time we were ready to leave after lunch.

Most who got stuck simply got pushed/pulled out, dried out their dizzy and sprayed a bit of WD 40 about and went on their way. 77 Devil and the Angry Ant are special though....  ::). There was possibly a misunderstanding of the instruction to enter the crossings at a slow, steady pace, but accelerate out. Personally I think it may also come back somewhat on what the driver wanted to hear, But Dev took that instruction as "go in slow, then floor it". The result was spectacular as you can see here, but had ongoing consequences

It seems that it's possible to seriously swamp a distributor and that takes more than a wipe out of the cap and a spray of WD40 to put right. The combined efforts of Ant, Terry, Moke 71 and others eventually saw him moving, although not quite as convincingly as before.

We left the Ant in Quirindi to wait for running repairs to be completed on his canopy, in the belief that he would make it home to Moke Central later under his own steam as he seemed to be running well enough. Unfortunately that didn't eventuate, as it turns out that when you really swamp a distributor, the moisture gets in deep and just when you think you have it dried out and running OK, the moisture condenses back up into the cap and stops you again  :-\

So after a valiant effort and about 20 bonnet-up restarts, the Tasmanian Virgins admitted defeat about 30km out of Quirindi and made the call for trailer recovery. They were in good spirits when I arrived to collect them though, as their chosen recovery spot coincidentally (???) coincided with their arrival at a very nice pub  ::) ::) ::). After a good dinner and a few "spirit lifters" for the now non-drivers we had all Mokes safely back at Moke Central and it was  still only about 10.00pm  :) 

I have more great photos of the 7 Creeks Rd run, but this post is already too long, so I'll put them in the next one.

SuzukiMoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Awaiting next project
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 08:52:35 PM »
Great post Newie - fantastic to read about to goings on for the day

Cheers Adrian

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 09:39:00 PM »
Thanks Newie, was starting to think that everyone just arrived at The Austin Caravan Park, ........... and that was it  :o
Good to hear that most took in the "off the track" runs, and not just on the Tar, and that so many had a good play  ;) Groups make it so much more fun  8), especially when it doesnt quite go to plan and everyone is ready to pitch in and give a hand  ;D, or hang some ..... well deserved suportive advice  ;) ;) ;D
Wish I was there, so, thanks for sharing some of the happenings for us that were unable to get there.
HP

The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

AlanS

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 08:35:58 AM »
Thanks for the write up Newie It was a great day as was the whole week thanks to yourself and KMC and the invisible volunteers like Sue that kept popping up with a cuppa when ever we stopped.
As for the photo of me failing to proceed forward it would be unfair of me not to mention that undoing the bonnet straps was my only contribution to the recovery as Terry was under the bonnet as soon as it stopped and Newie had the WD40 and rag in hand waiting.
Had a great time in Tamworth as did Kerrie my wife.
I hope someone got photo's of when 4 or 5 Mokes lost traction in the mud and needed assistance that was this city boys highlight of the week could not stop laughing, note to self do not turn the steering wheel to the side whilst people are pushing you or standing beside you as a mud shower ensures.
(I was a pusher not a spinner) it was a great moment because the mud missed me. 

Alans  :)  :)  :)
I've told you a million times stop exaggerating!

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 05:34:08 PM »
Wakerley - Thanks. Probably for the best that your Moke missed that day. As Alan has hinted at, things got very muddy and messy later on. I'm sure your Moke would have performed admirably, but you'd still be cleaning it  :)

HP - Sorry, but KMC and I are waaaaay too busy during the event and frankly stuffed for a while after it. I literally only checked the forum after midnight a couple of nights and long enough to respond to a couple of PMs. Be patient and more will follow  ;) :D PS. You seriously missed out! Get your act together for the next one  ;D

Alan - Glad to hear that you and Kerrie had a good time. The "mud run" (write up yet to come) was a highlight for me too, especially as everyone took it in good spirits. Despite doing a test run after 50mm of rain a few weeks ago, it appears that the road seriously falls to pieces with 100mm on it. Certainly wouldn't have planned it that way, but all turned out to be great fun in the end  ;D

More to come soon...