austmoke

Author Topic: Rylstone Classic 2017  (Read 1757 times)

ainsley

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

Re: Rylstone Classic 2017
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2017, 02:50:16 PM »
Hey guys,

Thought I'd put it up here first but will be posting to the Facebook page in a few hours...

I have double booked and have a spare room at the Rylstone Hotel (1 min walk from the Globe) so if anyone wants it, please call the Rylstone hotel directly. It's $80 for a single or $100 for a double.

It is predicted to be -2 degrees on Sunday morning so perhaps for some of the not so brave campers?

If you could let me know if you book it, otherwise I will post to Facebook (as mentioned) in a few hrs...

Many thanks and see you sat!

KMC

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2017, 03:00:30 PM »
Thanks for the offer Ainsley, but we have accom booked. We anticipated it would be too cool for camping!

..KMC

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2017, 08:29:29 AM »
Sadly, the mini beast will not be attending the Rylstone Classic again. I was unable to get the clutch spring issue sorted in time, and as it is my daily drive for another week, I don't want to risk any engine damage on a long run.  :(
1980 Moke Californian 1275 - The minibeast

Yellow Mokes Rule!

KMC

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2017, 08:33:37 AM »
Sad news Mellow  :-[ , but as the old saying goes "better be safe than sorry".

..KMC

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2017, 05:54:30 PM »
Happy to report that Cool Breeze, KMC and I made it to Rylstone and back successfully with no problems bigger than wind burn, one stripped wheel nut and one lost hat (blown out it the cyclone we drove down in on Friday).

Well over 100 vehicles in attendance including a record number of 15 Mokes in Rylstone. Unfortunately 16 left Gosford, but one of the Sydney-siders kept losing oil pressure for no apparent reason and decided it was prudent to take it home. 

More later, but for now just happy to be home after another fantastic adventure and hoping everyone else made it home safe and sound too.

Holoholo

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2017, 07:14:22 PM »
Holoholo is home safe and sound and ran beautifully for Rylstone. A terrific event made all the more enjoyable by catching up with some familiar Moking faces and friends. Until the next event - stay fit and happy Moking!

KMC

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2017, 09:11:35 PM »
Just got in after the great weekend and return drive via Sandy Hollow, Merriwa, Willow Tree in Cool Breeze...and then down to Sydney in OV.

It was fantastic to catch up with familiar friendly Mokers once again  ;D . Sad to hear that Mellow couldn't make it.

Pleased, also, that there were no serious Moke incidents.

As Newie said, more later ;)

..KMC.

ainsley

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2017, 09:58:52 PM »
Surprised to find no write up for the from any of the Rylstone Moke owners present! (For those not playing on Facebook)  :o

I've done it for many years previously and there were enough mokes there so....

Good weekend anyway, great to see you all again and hope you had as much fun as I did  ;D

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2017, 08:52:23 PM »
Surprised to find no write up for the from any of the Rylstone Moke owners present! (For those not playing on Facebook)  :o

I've done it for many years previously and there were enough mokes there so....

Good weekend anyway, great to see you all again and hope you had as much fun as I did  ;D

Good point there Ainsley  ;). I've been flat out myself since I got back, but here's my effort:

Here are ten of the 15 Mokes that attended (would have been 16, but one unfortunately only made it as far as the Blue Mountains before having to turn around and switch to their BV due to mechanical issues).

This photo was at the local airstrip where everyone who was still left by mid morning on Sunday lined up. We tried to put the Mokes together, but Ainsley and a couple of others missed the memo  :). There were also a couple who had to head home beforehand.

I never heard what the overall event tally was, but must have been well over 100 as there were 91 at the airfield on Sunday morning and quite a few Minis had left by then. There were 148 registered entrants, but being a free event, no one ever bothers to de-register when they can't make it, so they never all turn up.

As everyone who's been anywhere with him knows, it's bloody hard to get a photo at an event where this guy in the middle is in attendance without him taking centre stage  ;) ;D

Not many photos from me I'm afraid. We spent most of Saturday trying to keep up between a string of minor breakdowns and other issues (none on Cool Breeze for a change) and true to form, I'm afraid our little group of Mokes pulled into Rylstone after dark and cruised up the main street past the pub to see a lot of interesting vehicles lined up the street, but most of the drivers already nicely ensconced  in the pub by then taking advantage of the beautifully warm wood fires.

Even forgot to get a decent one of Cool Breeze with the Rylstone badge and windscreen decal in place until we got home  ::)

Mind you, we would have been in before dark (just...) except that we had to stop and rescue a tail-ender round nose Mini that we found on three wheels on the side of the road just outside Kandos  :o. He got extremely lucky as the wheel nuts on his front passenger side wheel undid themselves which resulted in him throwing the wheel on the bitumen at 80-90kph. Despite a scary looking track that the brake disc had scraped on the bitumen, showing how the car veered right over to the edge of the wrong side of the road before eventually running off into the gravel verge on the correct side of the road. Lucky no one was coming in the opposite direction at the time  :-\

Should have taken photos I guess, but more pressing issues were at hand. It was getting dark and it took a dozen of us 15 minutes to find his wheel, which eventually turned up somehow 50m behind him in the table drain on the other side of the road   ::)

His luck held out a bit longer, as we were able to manhandle it back up onto a jack, and after a couple of spins of the hub to clear all the loose gravel from the disc, it was simply a matter of fitting the spare with four donated wheel nuts and he was back on the road  :o. Even the wheel studs were all still good as new.

Not totally unscathed of course, and apparently a couple of issues became apparent when the mechanics checked it in the morning, but he was still able to drive it home. 

It was a three day run for us in total, and to be honest the run down turned into a bit of an endurance run down highways and freeways (we will definitely be taking a different route next year) with severe winds all the way which worsened steadily as we went along. Mind you, once we got there we had a good couple of hours wandering through the Gosford Car Museum (highly recommended) before Forum member Kell picked us up and took us over to his place to admire his almost completed Moke project and very kindly put on a great BBQ dinner which we shared with his family and friends - all lovely people and very keen new Mokers  :). Looking forward to seeing Kell's Moke on the road soon.

The Saturday was a fun event with our little group despite (or maybe because of) the few hiccups along the way although again the last few hours when it started to get seriously cold were a bit of a test. All worthwhile though when you get to the warm pub with a great meal and a catch up with old and new Moke friends over a few drinks  ;D

Our run home was a great day, being warm and sunny, with all afternoon to wind our way home through some scenic mountain country  8)

Accommodation was booked for next year the following day  8). Both KMC and I have also already topped up some of our winter wardrobe in the hope that we have learned a bit from the experience and next year will be a little more comfortable. We could always put the sides on the Moke I suppose, but that seems to be cheating unless it's raining  ;)

Thanks goes especially to those of our group who were still together at the end - 3 x Piries, Min13r and Mr & Mrs Alan S. Also of course to Evan and his team for what has to be a mammoth effort for what is essentially a 24hr event, and to Ainsley and Sarah for keeping us company at the pub until the publican finally kicked us out into the frost for the walk back to our unit  ;D

Sorry for the long wordy post and lack of photos, maybe one of the others that were in our group (or in another group) has some they could add?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 09:00:04 PM by Newie »

AlanS

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2017, 02:29:55 PM »

As everyone who's been anywhere with him knows, it's bloody hard to get a photo at an event where this guy in the middle is in attendance without him taking centre stage  ;) ;D

Who is that guy in the middle Newie  ;) he looks familiar I have seen him in other photo's  ::)
He looks a lot like George Clooney ::)

It's a good thing I go to these events otherwise you guys might start picking on each other and not someone who has no idea what's going on anyway  ;D

Alan S  :)

I've told you a million times stop exaggerating!

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2017, 08:20:49 PM »
Courtesy of Watto's article on the 2017 Rylstone Classic in the UK's Mini World magazine, Cool Breeze and I have finally achieved international notoriety as the token Moke photo amongst the Minis  8)  :P  :D

Photo courtesy of The BMC Experience's Face Book page.