Author Topic: (International) Moke RoundUp  (Read 1172 times)

Flying Dutchman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

(International) Moke RoundUp
« on: April 25, 2017, 04:08:02 AM »
Being on the other side of the World, on the other side of the road, on the other side of the car and changing gear with your other hand is an adventure in itself. At least I like to think so. Luckily for me it was a Moke!  Yes, an adventure because don’t forget I live in the Netherlands, a small country with approximately the same amount of inhabitants as Australia, which is the size of Europe. And you really have to look hard to find a dirt road over here.

I am pleased to say that thanks to Smokey, I was able to make the Moke Round Up into an International event. Anyway, for me it all started on the Tuesday in Port Stevens. We followed a beautiful scenic route to Tamworth. The Country and Western Music Centre of Australia.

The next morning, after a bacon/egg roll and a drivers meeting, we were on our way to Bendemeer. At a certain moment we turned left and the first cattle grid took me totally by surprised . The rest of the road was what you call interesting. Which side of the hole is the best way to go or a wheel at each side? I had never driven on a road like this. But it was a fast learning curve. This was by far the most difficult road of the week, well not quite.

The Wednesday hot en dusty and by contrast the Thursday was wet and muddy. I opted out on the water dips route and travelled on the tarmac, sorry bitumen, road to Quirindi. After lunch the question was bitumen or mud... Mud of course. The rain had stopped when we turned onto another dirt road, we past a sign which said something like: only passable when dry. I was the fifth car when I turned the corner. Almost immediately I came to a standstill, yes in the mud. Luckily I was not the only one.

On Friday the weather was fine and there was a excellent picnic lunch in the Warrabah National Park provided. On the way out of the park I was not sure where I was going and said so on the radio. I understood that I had to turn around, ...rocks on one side, valley on the other...but I managed. Then the Mokes that had followed me appeared....no I was on the right track anyway and had to do it all over again. When I joined the rest of the group they welcomed me with applause.

Nundle was the destination for the Saturday. We stopped at the Sheba dam for the view and another photo session and visited the Hanging Rock lookout, before we went into the old mining town for lunch. Via yet another fantastic route we returned to Moke Centre. That evening we visited the Look Out for a beautiful sunset.

The Sunday morning quite a few people were loading there Moke on trailers for the long haul back home. The rest left for another visit to the Look out. From there we left for the Tourist Information Centre. Being in Tamworth, a visit the Golden Guitar is compulsory.

Approaching a roundabout I was so focused on a enormous lorry from the right that I went straight on. I noticed my mistake made a u-turn and followed the information signs. Not having the radio on I was unaware of the conversation about me missing the turn. There I said goodbye to Smokey, who decided to travel on into the outback. After lunch there was a last opportunity for a tour and of course I joined.

The Monday morning was a lot quieter. The remainder of the group was packing. After I said me goodbyes. Woody and I left Moke Centre for the trip back to Port Stevens. A fantastic adventure had come to an end. A great thank you to the organisers, but also to the participants. It was wonderful to be part of such a fantastic company. The Moke RoundUp was the highlight of my stay in Australia. And a special thank you for Smokey, who trusted me to use his Moke for a week. Do I want to do it again? Yes Please!!!

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

Re: (International) Moke RoundUp
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 10:01:31 AM »
Thanks for the great write up Howard. It was truly a pleasure to meet you and we're really glad you had such a good time after such an effort to get there.

For someone who never sees gravel roads, you did extremely well and despite the challenges and the odd hiccup as you have mentioned, I don't remember seeing you without a smile on your face and I don't think a day went by that you didn't tell KMC or myself several times what a great time you were having.

Hope you can make the next one  :)

shorty 68

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Must stop drinking WT

• Personal Text
    Still smiling
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 08:01:47 PM »
It was nice meeting you again Howard and hope to see you again at the next moke adventure.
Cheers Shorty :)
1973 moke the Boss
1978 moke John the cali

woody

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Woody
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 09:29:42 AM »
Remember Howard anytime you are back in Australia let us know and we made be able to arrange a meeting in Canberra moke included'
It was great to catch up with you again

Woody
If you are depressed, you are living in the past.
If you are anxious, you are living in the future.
If you are at peace, you are living in the present
Lao Tzu

KMC

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• 2024 Moke Round Up

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 10:06:13 AM »
Terrific write up, and I echo what the others have said, Flying Dutchman.

Thank you so much for joining all of us on this adventure, and it's great to hear that you enjoyed yourself  :) .

See you at the next Round Up!

..KMC.

2024 Moke Round Up Tamworth : www.MokeRoundUp.com.au

mokercar

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Wishin' and Hopin'

• Personal Text
    Found 'WILMA'
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 11:51:02 PM »
Flying Dutchman, Howard, what a great write-up. We could tell by the broad grin plastered on your dial that you had a really fast moke (the wind does it). Not really it's the joy of Mokin' that does it!!!! It goes without saying it's the nature of the beast. I'm glad you made it home safe and sound. You made the drives all that much more enjoyable and the get togethers a hoot.  Mokers are a great bunch of people and the mob at Tamworth do a great job organising the event. Always looked forward to by me. Sorry for the late post but I have finally just got back on line. Keep well and stay safe. Cheers Mokercar (Sue) and Wilma.
Mid life crisis (if I live to 100) "Second Childhood"                                                          PUSH TO THE LIMIT!!!       "It's All in The Game"