Author Topic: Darwin to Sydney, March 2017  (Read 551 times)

el_gallo_azul

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

Darwin to Sydney, March 2017
« on: August 06, 2017, 02:43:09 PM »
There are approximately 1 million photos here: http://imgur.com/a/iFZTe

The trip was uneventful, other than the muffler being knocked off (as shown, it was very minor), and the potentially more significant time that the oil rag got sucked into the radiator fan while I was sitting on about 90km/h. It took me a few minutes to work out that those white things that appeared suddenly all around the car weren't in fact feathers from an unfortunate unseen bird, but bits of shredded rag. I brought the car to a standstill and had a look under the bonnet, and after picking out some bits of rag stuck everywhere, I was delighted to see that my radiator core hadn't been ruptured in the middle of Queensland somewhere. Result!

I pottered along, doing about 550km per day, and the 4,000km took me just over a week. The 1,000km or so without a muffler was a bit noisy, but everything worked.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 03:32:13 PM by el_gallo_azul »

SaharaDust

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Darwin to Sydney, March 2017
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 03:17:02 PM »
Thank you for trip report and photos

Good stuff

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 07:41:40 PM »
Hi,

last time sucked a rag into the fan there were no blades left by the time I turned the engine off. Do you have a metal blade fan?

Terry
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 09:46:43 PM by Terry »
Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 08:43:22 PM »
Cant wait to see the transformation  8) 8)
Thanks for sharing the trip down, so how about the trip back  ;) no oil needed  ;D

HP
"Ametures sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us get up and go to work"
Stephen King.

el_gallo_azul

• Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 12:02:34 PM »
No, @Terry, it's the good old yellow plastic one with a dozen or so blades. I think the blades bent enough to stop things from breaking.

Quite right, @Halfpint, I'm very much looking forward to the finished product, too. In this first pass, I can only fit 19kWh of batteries on board (~100 - 150km range), so I'm trying to fight the urge to build a battery trailer and drive it back, but rather put it on a truck. Mind you, that's how I planned to get it down there before deciding to drive it at the last minute.

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 09:49:23 PM »
Interesting conversion, will it be similar specs to GTT's yellow one from a few years ago?
Hope you can post some progress photos.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 11:04:12 PM »
Interesting conversion, will it be similar specs to GTT's yellow one from a few years ago?
Hope you can post some progress photos.
+1 on that  :)
It has interested me heaps, just not a lot of info about Moke EV's.
Having the Motor mounted in the back is a bit of a revelation for me  8). All the ones I've seen are crammed in the engine bay. Very clever and way beyond my skills to attempt.
There is a small thread about another EV Moke, but for me, its all dreaming, but very interesting.
HP
"Ametures sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us get up and go to work"
Stephen King.

el_gallo_azul

• Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 02:17:48 PM »
@moemoke,

The completion of that yellow one was the reason that I decided to go to GT Tooling. No, it's all different hardware and a different layout.

@HalfPint,

Having the Motor mounted in the back is a bit of a revelation for me  8). All the ones I've seen are crammed in the engine bay.

I was originally planning a similar layout to the yellow one, with motor and drive train in the engine bay, but a chain drive instead of the toothed belt, but it would result in too much change to the weight distribution. That's the reason for the motor going in the back.

Can anyone tell me how to post an individual photo here? I see the "Insert Image" button, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to use the "img" switches.

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 07:34:52 PM »
Can anyone tell me how to post an individual photo here? I see the "Insert Image" button, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to use the "img" switches.

The "Insert Image" button is a bit of a red herring. Ignore that and start again with this thread by Maddog that takes you through the process step by step. It's a little bit of a process at first, but gets easier once you've done a couple.

https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?topic=7527.0

Newie

el_gallo_azul

• Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 01:58:52 PM »
Thanks. Good one, @Newie.

It looks like I was trying all the right things, which was mainly to paste a URL from somewhere else between the "img" switches, but I could never get it to work.

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 10:50:15 PM »
Interesting way to do it, should work well though and lots of room for
extra batteries and stuff under the bonnet.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

el_gallo_azul

• Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 10:04:26 AM »
Dunno about "extra batteries".

The original plan was batteries in the side pontoons, and all drivetrain components in the engine bay, similar to that yellow one. However, that meant that the vehicle weight would have been close to evenly distributed, which would be too big a change for roadworthiness compliance.

That's why the layout changed. All batteries will be in the engine bay, with chargers, controllers and HV wiring in the pontoons.

I don't mind having the batteries in the airflow. Cooling was a challenge with the pontoon idea, and it will be easier in the engine bay, which hopefully should mean that the whole thing burns to the ground less often.

The back of the car will be a little bit heavier now, because of this 46kg motor, so it might end up too heavy for me to lift.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 10:06:30 AM by el_gallo_azul »