Author Topic: Mokes in the Mountains - it wasn't too wet, cold or muddy honest  (Read 1038 times)

SuzukiMoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Awaiting next project
G'day all,

Fronting up a week late for IMD, 6 Mokes gathered at Andy W's place (Wallangarra on the QLD/NSW border) for a weekend of off-road exploring around Tenterfield and Girraween.  Two of the Mokes were Andy's but let's not worry about details.  The other attendees were James from Mackay, Newie (+ dad), Piggy, Dean (and Dean jnr) and myself. 

Saturday was spent welcoming the arriving Mokes and drivers (over a period from 11am to 8pm) and setting up camp in the yard.  Andy put on an excellent BBQ for us (and local friends and members of the Stanthorpe Car Club).  Andy had also spent many late nights in the shed preparing the Moke BBQ (which also doubled as seating area and entertainment centre - see attached photo).

At the last minute, I decided to take on another Moke project and fit our roof top tent to the cali roll bar of Suzuki Moke.  A quick trip to local steel suppliers enabled me to fabricate an additional 'roll bar' fixed to the rear bumper mountings.  The end result turned out to be very satisfactory (although top speed seemed to be limited to around 90kph into the headwind on the trip down) - see photos (stored and pitched).

We had some rain overnight on Saturday (which turned out to be very welcome as it suppressed the dust for the rest of the long weekend), but it was broadly dry and overcast when we set off for the 250kms round trip (after excellent Bacon and Egg rolls cooked by Piggy). I decided to remove the roof top tent for our off-road excursion (which was left on the ground in the yard).

Andy and Gerry (Andy's neighbour) had scouted a great route for us which started on the dirt just outside Tenterfield and went roughly clockwise through Washpool and Capoompeta National Parks to our lunch stop at Deepwater Inn.  The first half of the drive was over some mixed terrain and turned out to be much slower than the second half.  There were no dramas (Suzuki Moke sump survived intact) and we pulled over a few times to take photos and admire the scenery.

Deepwater Inn did us proud for lunch and as promised they put up a post on their facebook page.  The main bar was proper warm and it was a bit of a struggle to get everyone back outside for part 2 of the drive.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1758133564487254&set=a.1411307722503175.1073741828.100008718814050&type=3&theater

The second part of our trip took us through Stannum and Torrington into the State Forest, then Pyes Creek Road and Mole River Road (where we stopped for afternoon tea (homemade scones, jam and cream  ;D).  The drizzle became a little heavier after lunch and some of the tracks were a bit wetter than the morning. I nearly had a heart attack each time we stopped - I'm not sure Suzuki Moke has ever seen rain let alone dirt tracks.  There will be much cleaning and polishing needed this week  ::)

After a brisk drive back up the New England Highway, we returned to Andy's for lasagne and a catch up on the day's activities.  We had been out for over 9 hours so an early night was called for (well early-ish).

We were all up and out early on Monday (7am) for a shortish run up through Girraween National Park.  This drive was over much more difficult terrain and as result Suzuki Moke stayed under the gazebo (I have a problem with grandparents eh Piggy  ;)).  I hitched a lift in Yorkie and Andy demonstrated just how really capable Yorkie is.  The car is a testament to Andy's wide-ranging skills and would put some 4WDs to shame.

We were back at 8:30 for another excellent Piggy breakfast before starting to get ready for the trip home.  Andy kindly lent me his motorcycle waterproofs which kept the rain gods at bay for my drive back up to Brisbane.

A number of thank yous:
1. To Andy for letting us use his premises and looking after us so well.  He refused to take any money for catering etc, instead setting up a collection tin for Careflight (to which we all contributed).
2. Fellow SEQ and NSW mokers for the excellent company and banter (no doubt there will be more photos added to this post by our resident David Baillie a.k.a. Dean and others)
3. Newie and Piggy for their exceptional cooking skills.
4. The locals (for making us all feel very welcome).

I ended up doing just over 800 trouble-free kms (average fuel consumption 8.5l/100kms).  Now where's the bucket, sponge and chamois?

Cheers Adrian

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

Re: Mokes in the Mountains - it wasn't too wet, cold or muddy honest
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 03:49:36 PM »
awesome, good to see the Pom doing well.
Thanks for sharing
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Mazy

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 08:04:33 PM »
Adrian,

Many thanks for your detailed, interesting and really entertaining report .... and the endless stream of terrific photos! :) 8)
Weather aside, it sounds like a great time was had by all. What a neato and innovative BBQ/seating area! ;)  Andy is very clever!

Mazy

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 09:33:13 PM »
Im with Mazy here, Top stuff Guys  8), really appreciate the commentary Adrian, and thanks for all the  picks on what would be a great Moke run  ;) 8) 
Having had Breeky cooked by Piggy before , I can vouch it does start the day awsome   ;D, and he cooks them eggs pretty good as well ;)
Only Andy could create a garden statement like that  ;D Sleep is overated, hey Andy  ;)

HP
EDIT: Damn it ! was thinking it as I typed but didnt write it  ::) Love the camper Adrian  ;) Bloody clever  8)
HP
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 09:50:15 PM by Halfpint »
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 11:52:08 PM »
Great report there Adrian  8)

Not much for me to add except a few more photos and to back up Adrian's sentiments of what a great weekend it was and good to catch up with some of the Qld crew again.

A pity that quite a few had to drop out more or less at the last minute, because Andy did a great job finding some interesting local spots for us to explore. Still, our little group had a great time  8)

The Party Moke in it's element with enough LED's to light up half the town and the built in stereo which seems to work really well acoustically with the overhead canopy. Also has a full sized BBQ under the bonnet and an esky in the "boot"

A couple of shots of some of the Mokes in the front yard after Dean and Piggy finally arrived in the dark on Saturday night amongst a small sample of Andy's fire drum sculptures. Have to watch those border country spiders - they're huge!

Outside Deepwater Pub for the lunch stop on Sunday. A real bush pub gem - nice and warm inside and great food which came in generous country sized portions.

Just one of several scenic stops along the way.

Credit goes to Dean for these last two photos. Unfortunately the only photos I have of a great little challenging rocky track we did through Girraween National Park on Monday morning before we all went back for a late breakfast and off on our separate ways. Kicking myself that I never thought to stop and take a few photos until after we got through the interesting bit - too busy enjoying the drive  :)

You might notice by the layers of clothing and the fact that my rarely used side curtains are on in the last pic, that it was far from idyllic Queensland spring time weather - still warmer than the Saturday afternoon Moke drive on the way to Rylstone a month ago though...  :)

SuzukiMoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Awaiting next project
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 02:38:12 PM »
Newie - great photos of the party BBQ and the creatures in the dark  :)

Cheers Adrian

SuzukiMoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Awaiting next project
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 02:40:06 PM »
Adrian,

Many thanks for your detailed, interesting and really entertaining report .... and the endless stream of terrific photos! :) 8)
Weather aside, it sounds like a great time was had by all. What a neato and innovative BBQ/seating area! ;)  Andy is very clever!

Mazy

Yes indeed Mazy - from now on he shall be known as Andy the Wizard  :)

Cheers Adrian

SuzukiMoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Awaiting next project
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 02:40:43 PM »
Im with Mazy here, Top stuff Guys  8), really appreciate the commentary Adrian, and thanks for all the  picks on what would be a great Moke run  ;) 8) 
Having had Breeky cooked by Piggy before , I can vouch it does start the day awsome   ;D, and he cooks them eggs pretty good as well ;)
Only Andy could create a garden statement like that  ;D Sleep is overated, hey Andy  ;)

HP
EDIT: Damn it ! was thinking it as I typed but didnt write it  ::) Love the camper Adrian  ;) Bloody clever  8)
HP

Glad you enjoyed it HP

Cheers Adrian

moke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 09:10:19 PM »
Good to see the Pom doing well.

Pom became Poms for this trip. 4 of the 6 drivers plus a co-driver on this trip were shower dodgers!  ;D
Dean
It's hard to leave when you can't find the door - Joe Walsh

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 10:57:21 PM »
Pom became Poms for this trip. 4 of the 6 drivers plus a co-driver on this trip were shower dodgers!  ;D
Dean

Yep, Piggy and I (and my dad who was navigating for me) had to have Google Translate running flat out to keep up with the conversation...  ::)

Still, everyone seemed to be right chuffed to be sitting around having a natter in the morning while they noshed into their egg and bacon butties and baked beans and cups 'o tea  :D  ;) ::)

SuzukiMoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Awaiting next project
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 11:02:57 PM »
Dean

Spiffing  :)

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 04:01:14 PM »
Hi,

Did you stop for Elevenses?

Terry

SuzukiMoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Awaiting next project
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 04:53:48 PM »
The scones were going to be elevenses but they got bumped to afternoon tea  :)