Author Topic: Bay in a Day - Melbourne to Mornington Peninsular - January 7th  (Read 621 times)

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Bay in a Day - Melbourne to Mornington Peninsular - January 7th
« on: November 21, 2017, 09:56:10 PM »
Hi,

for the 1st Sunday of the new Year I am leading the annual Bay in a Day run for the MOA from Melbourne down to the Mornington Peninsular somewhere keeping as close to the bay as possible. Meeting near station pier at 8:30am Sunday the 7th and finishing up somewhere between Rosebud and Portsea in the afternoon.

More details on the MOA website, https://www.moke.org.au/calendar/event-details/169-bay-in-a-day-sunday-7th-january

Terry

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Bay in a Day - Melbourne to Mornington Peninsular - January 7th
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 08:18:48 PM »
Hi,

some details......

The annual cruise from Port Melbourne to the Peninsular, is on as usual for the first Sunday of the New Year, this year Sorrento is the destination for lunch. It is a simple idea for a drive each year with the intention being to cruise in our Mokesl as close to the beach as practical having lunch and a chat and driving home again. Weather at the time of writing is 22 and cloudy so should be a pleasant day after the 41 predicted for Saturday.
Starting point is near the entrance to Station Pier on Beach St at 8:30 for a 9am start with usual pick ups from the side of the road along the way at Mordiallic(south of the bridge opposite Watkins Ave around 9:45am) and Frankston(on the Nepean Hwy just past the Caltex on the south side around 10:30am). The usual stop for a break at Mt Martha is not happening this year but will be a random stop somewhere along the way somewhere. I am aiming to get to the lunch destination at the Sorrento Recreation Reserve(Between Hotham St and Melbourne Rd) around 12 midday allowing plenty of time for people to wander over to the shops for lunch or stand around talking.and eating. Once we are all back together and ready to leave we will find our way back towards Melbourne.
For Members who have their Mokes living down the beach house most of the year that probably never visits a mechanics unless something is broken, we will have a Moke Inspection period at Sorrento where you can have your Moke checked over for obvious problems or signs of impending failure that you can then deal with in the quieter months. If you would like to have your Moke looked at please send me an email or text with your name and Moke rego so I can make plans if we get a rush of Mokes that want inspecting.
Come along in your Moke with a tank full of dinosaurs remains, some sunscreen and hat(but who am I, your mother, to be telling you that) and maybe a few nibbles and drinks in case we don't stop for morning tea. Lunch will be a short walk to the shops and if you want to join in along the way just sit on the side of the road(Esplanade, Beach Rd,Esplanade at Mornington or Nepean Hwy) and join in as we pass.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Bay in a Day - Melbourne to Mornington Peninsular - January 7th
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 08:37:24 AM »
Hi,

We had pretty good day yesterday picking and dropping off Mokes along the way and with about 9 or so Mokes doing the run down from Melbourne. At Sorrento someone counted 25 Mokes in total for the 2 hours we were there with many of the locals coming in a for a look and chat before people started making their own plans to head back. I did get to look at Export Moke #14 and another Moke with the full anti-polution gear still intact and working and a third Moke that was missing a rear subframe mount rubber so it was a bit floppy in that corner.

Four of us stayed together on the way home and found some interesting backroads as we went to visit an Australian Plant nursery at Arthurs Seat and then on to Red Hill and beyond. got home around 7:30 so 12 hours in the Moke.

I only have one picture but I will see if I can find someone with the group at Sorrento.

Terry