Author Topic: Australia Day weekend snowy mountains run  (Read 850 times)

min13r

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Australia Day weekend snowy mountains run
« on: December 04, 2017, 10:07:31 PM »
Tumut Thursday night 25 /1 Jindabyne Friday night 26 /1 Tumut on Saturday 27/1 return home on Sunday
Early days and from the different comments looks like 6 mokes so far....
The Top of Australia for Australia Day....🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
I had a rummage this evening and have a spare tent and double air mattress if anyone is hunting...

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2018 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

Re: Australia Day weekend snowy mountains run
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 12:06:17 PM »
Sounds like a fantastic trip - great idea for an Aussie Day weekend.

Unfortunately I may be ferrying "kids" back to North Queensland that weekend, but not set in stone yet, so if that can be pushed back or forward a week I may be a starter.

Newie

min13r

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 08:26:00 PM »
Newie.. Let's hope serendipity plays it's had and we see you for Australia Day... I know you must be having withdrawal symptoms and desperately missing seeing the rear of my moke😀

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 12:28:20 PM »
Any more info on this trip?
1980 Moke Californian 1275 - The minibeast

Yellow Mokes Rule!

min13r

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 04:38:10 PM »
Update 7 mokes so far. A common meeting point is at at the Partridge VC rest Area near Douglas Park at 1pm on 25-1-18,I still need to sort my camping gear out
.can't wait.😀😀😀

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 10:17:27 PM »
Well someone is keen on going for a drive ;D

8)
HP
Experiencing the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.
"As a Moke owner, you have a heightened awareness of Mokes in your environment, they were always there." 

https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?topic=4727.msg161920#msg161920

shorty 68

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Must stop drinking WT

• Personal Text
    Still smiling
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 11:31:38 PM »
If anyone else is going just phone me on 0412864801.
As the last cars are leaving at 12.30pm from VC Partridge rest area on the Hume HWY Douglas Park.
Cheers Shorty 😀
1973 moke the Boss
1978 moke John the cali

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 09:59:46 PM »
How did the trip go? Any write up and piccies?

Yellow Mokes Rule!

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 10:29:36 PM »
I was lucky enough to get a few days spare and tag along  :)
Alpine Moke met myself and the Flying Dutchman here at my place on Thursday Morning. We were all packed and ready to go.
Our run Nth to Tumut was on back roads from Woomargama to Tumbarumba. Its so scenic being away from the Hume hwy. Single lane roads meandering through the countryside was great.
Not sure what happened, but the top of my passenger side shockie broke. Bugger, oh well, just removed it and carried on with the donut carrying the load.

It was pretty hot, mid 30's, but after lunch at Tumberumba we made easy work of the run to Tumut and set up camp.

By the time we set up and had a cold drink, the other 7 Mokes rumbled into the park and started setting up camp.
It was good see and meet everyone and chat after tea.
We had to tie AlanS to a chair and kept him up into the wee hrs of the morning chatting  ;)  ;D.

Next morning we packed up and headed to the local Australia day celebrations and Breaky put on by the local Lions Club. Really yum.
8 Mokes ready to go.

Met up with a local Mini Guy and he raided a spare Moke subframe and gave me a shockie to fit. He had a Chook Shed find parked on stands, a 1980 Moke, totaly complete and rust free ready for him to build, one day  :D
After we all fueled up and splashed a bit of water around, we headed of back towards Tumba with a stop off at the Pines.

Lil Donkey was so excited  :)

After Tumba, next stop was when Guliver over heated. I may have not tightened the cap on the overflow tank properly. Eventually cooled enough to get water in and then a steep climb to Cabramurra.

Next stop was Khancobin for fuel, and then the run that at times was almost vertical going through Geehi and Crackenback  ;D

One of the Mokes had a lower ball joint come loose, luckily just as we were leaving a lookout.
Everyone chipped in and within an hr we were back on the road.
It was at this time Gulliver developed a miss, so a quick pit stop to replace the plugs and all was good again. I guess the over heating issue earlier in the day had damaged one of the plugs, oh well.

Got into Jindabyne just on dusk, and after a very near miss with a couple of roos pulled into the park to set up camp.

Saturday Morning we packed up and headed back to to the Ski Tube where Warren had worked many years ago, really interesting stories about the place.
It was here that Howard and I split from the group and headed back to Geehi for lunch.
Cooked up a feed, had a cuppa and a walk around.

We had a great run down through Corryong and stopping at Old Tallangatta for a look around where the whole town was picked up and moved 10 k's down the road to allow for Lake Hume to fill to capacity.

Was a great trip, very scenic, very challenging driving, very steep at times, but also great fun to drive in convoy with other Mokers who love it as much as I do.
Thanks everyone, we had a ball  8)

"As a Moke owner, you have a heightened awareness of Mokes in your environment, they were always there." 

min13r

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 10:48:51 PM »
Great photos and write up half-pint thank you,  fantastic weekend end and mokin folk...serendipity plays it's hand in lots if ways...was a great way and weekend to celebrate Australia Day 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 07:31:37 AM »
Thanks for the report HP - I think....  :-\

I was very sorry to miss this one at the time - your report was supposed to talk about how it was wet and miserable and foggy so you couldn't see anything anyway. Then I wouldn't feel so bad  ;)

Sorry to hear Gulliver had a few issues, but then again, what's a Moke trip without a few pics of someone under a jacked up Moke on the side of the road while the others stand around looking concerned  :)

We had to tie AlanS to a chair and kept him up into the wee hrs of the morning chatting  ;)  ;D.
Poor Alan  :-\. He's normally such a quiet, retiring chap. I'l bet all he wanted to do was sit quietly in his tent on his own  ;). Well done finding ten photos of the event without him photo bombing any of them though  ;D

Newie

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 09:53:26 AM »
Poor Alan  :-\. He's normally such a quiet, retiring chap. I'l bet all he wanted to do was sit quietly in his tent on his own  ;). Well done finding ten photos of the event without him photo bombing any of them though  ;D
I did say we had him tied to a chair, I didnt say when we let him loose  ;)  ;D

Nah! it was all good, pretty busy really. Setting up and packing up camp each day takes up a bit of energy  :)
HP
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 09:55:59 AM by Halfpint »

KMC

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 11:11:15 AM »
Thanks for the trip story and pics, HP. Sounds like you guys had a ball. 8)

..KMC

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 08:20:17 AM »
Thanks for the report HP. Sorry I couldn't be there. I missed the mokes at the start by "that much", as I was on my way south in the "big green beast" to tackle some lantana. I did a run from Cooma around the back of the mountains via Mt Selwin, Kanchoban and on to Jindabyne, then on to the coast in early December. So much mist you could hardly see where you were going. Would have made interesting moke travel.

Yellow Mokes Rule!

Flying Dutchman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 06:06:53 PM »
Yes the Dutchman was flying again. Unfortunately it was too early for Jarvis Bay as well as Tamworth, but it was great to meet up with old friends and a few new ones. You know this makes coming to your country so much more interesting. A special thank you to Halfpint and Peter L. They will know why. But also a great thank you to all the others I met.
Cheers Howard