Author Topic: Joining the throng  (Read 425 times)

Mokery

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

Joining the throng
« on: December 31, 2017, 06:24:27 PM »
Hi everyone, I've been stripping down my wife's 82 Californian for the past three years (too many other things to do to make much headway) and am now just starting the much more fun bit of putting it back together. It was her daily drive for 15 years until the day the gearbox jammed and we had to decide whether to sell it on or restore it. My mate said restore it - it will take 6 weeks and about $6,000 to do! So here we are three years later and considerably more than $6k in debt but everything is going to be cleaned up and hopefully better than before. The body is now painted and the engine is a reconditioned one, ready to drop in - photos shortly. The carby rebuild is scaring me so likely to be a few questions when we I get that far. Looking forward to the next steps!

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Joining the throng
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 04:58:58 PM »
Hi Mokery welcome to the forum. We like pics here so looking forward to seeing your moke. Are you on the northern beaches?

Mellow
1980 Moke Californian 1275 - The minibeast

Yellow Mokes Rule!

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Joining the throng
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 09:35:50 AM »
The carby rebuild is scaring me so likely to be a few questions when we I get that far. Looking forward to the next steps!

Assuming it is an SU then it is nothing to be scared off. Give it a clean, new gasket and needle and seat if it has been sitting around dry for a long time and if the fluid leaks out the bottom of the bowl then a a new jet tube/seal.

Liz will be happy to have her Moke back on the road.

Terry