Author Topic: Farm Moke  (Read 947 times)

Moke My Day

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Farm Moke
« on: March 12, 2018, 02:48:30 PM »
Some 4 years ago I posted up information and photo of a local moke that had spent most of its life on a farm.
This is the same moke I took a group to see prior to the commencement of Mokin Downunder in 2015.
I almost purchased it 18 months ago, this weekend I stopped procrastinating and brought it home (place is without a Moke as M-ute is up in Sydney)
Not sure what my plans are at this stage, it is in excellent condition and worthy of a complete restoration but at the moment my son Greg is working on our Around Australia Repco Retrial Commodore and still has his Wifes hatchback Torana to build.

The tray appears to be an original, however conversations 18 months ago with people that know more than I do thought the build date was too early for a factory fitting so maybe it was fitted as an option. Is the trap manufacturer (Sanders) the original supplier?

The tray has a little rust along the front however the rest is solid as is the MOke floor and side pockets

The side doors are still in reasonable condition however the roof is missing.

The original books are still with the Moke as is the original engine with low km's.

Do I try and convince Faye she needs a Moke, I don't think so.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
Re: Farm Moke
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 03:42:53 PM »
Nice  8)
Does look to be in pretty good nick 8)
Sounds a bit like Kingswood country at Gregs place  ;D " Have to get the Commodore out of the way so I can move the Torana, then I can shuffle the Mini out of the way and get the Moke into the workshop"  ;D ;D ;)

Nice pickup (pun intended  ::))

HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Boydie

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    74 MOKE UTE, 80 GAL BODY & 1963 Mini 850
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 04:04:04 PM »
Yes it has to be a factory ute DOnkey was a ute and my chassis no ......12740   Engine 10162824. Close brother or sister :o
AUSTRALIA  We eat meat, Drive Mokes
                   We drink beer
& We speak bloody English

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 05:51:54 PM »
Rather than restore it just by an akubra and a driazabone and drive it around like a farmer.

Looks to be in great condition.

What colour is it.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 05:56:37 PM »
Hi,

nice pick up. :)

As for what to do it is pretty obvious to me; :)

I would like a decent Tray for my collection so you drop that off at my place one day.

Ditch the Commodore because unless you double weld everything like the factory did before it left the assembly line as a 'production car' it will fall apart.

You rebuild the Moke to the specs of either of the two Mokes in the 1978 Repco Trial and take that for a lap of the big island instead.

Don't take a Landrover that did the London to Sydney the previous year as your back up vehicle or you will have to pull out because you lost so much time waiting for it to catch up.

See problem solved until M-ute comes back and you have nowhere to stored the Repco Trial winning Moke anymore and you have to sell it. :)

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Moke My Day

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 06:05:02 PM »
Rather than restore it just by an akubra and a driazabone and drive it around like a farmer.

What colour is it.
Being an old farming kid I have all the clothing including the RM Williams boots. The paint appears to have had a touch up with a brush and not sure of the quality of the paint.

ratty

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 08:20:26 PM »
I was one of the ones who visited this moke in 2015 with Rod. Have been dreaming about it ever since!  I pass it's home most Sundays when blue moke goes to the pub at Forth. It's going to a good home. Onya Rod!
Cheers Ratty
Where do all the little tubes go from CRC can ?
Blue moke
Yellow moke
Subaru Forester

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 08:26:01 PM »
Very nice Rod. Plenty of potential there.

I can sympathise with the "too many projects in front of it" problem  ::) :(.

That one looks too god to pass up though.

Newie

Moke My Day

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 03:28:51 PM »
Spend a few minutes on Farmer Joe today, removed seats and hood bows. Started on the bolts securing the tray, these are going to take a little while however with seat removed found a bracket that looked like it should have been there.

When saving photos to backup drive looked a little closer at the original papers that came with Farmer Joe and date of purchase is mid February 1975 so this has to be one of the very early Moke utes either supplied from factory or dealer fitted.

Moke My Day

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 12:06:53 PM »
Nearly 2 years since I purchased the Farm Moke and little progress.
However watch this space (over the next 2 years) as due to the sale on my business and the transfer of Faye's to our son Greg, I have reclaimed my shed and Moke fits nicely in the back corner. Mute still has pride of place in same shed on the carpeted floor section.
No excuse now summer or winter to do some work.

tasmoken

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 07:17:04 PM »
Rod
I am of the belief the cover  made here in Launceston by Sanders canvas I could be wrong
In fact I will verify that, with one of the Sanders who live only a few doors away.
Moking
A Way Of Life
Unashamed and Unrestrained

tasmoken

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 08:05:57 AM »
Rod I can confirm that the ute cover was made here in Launceston by Sanders canvas
They only did a few ute tops for a variety of vehicles with the stamped logo like yours.
Moking
A Way Of Life
Unashamed and Unrestrained

Moke My Day

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 09:08:14 AM »
Thanks Rick, I must try and make contact with the original owner who I believe still lives in the Launceston area.