Author Topic: Rylstone Classic 2018  (Read 1204 times)

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

Rylstone Classic 2018
« on: March 20, 2018, 05:18:41 PM »
A great weekend event out of the NSW Central Coast.

August 18 and 19, 2018

http://www.rylstoneclassic.com

A fun event with free entry

Always a friendly crowd with 100 plus Minis, along with around 15 Mokes, a handful of other BMC vehicles plus a few randoms last year.

KMC and I will be taking Cool Breeze along again, and I can see half a dozen Forum Mokes registered already.

KMC

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• 2024 Moke Round Up

Re: Rylstone Classic 2018
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 12:26:29 PM »
KMC and I will be taking Cool Breeze along again, and I can see half a dozen Forum Mokes registered already.

...and some Forum Mokers so excited they have registered twice  :D

Looking forward to August!

..KMC

2024 Moke Round Up Tamworth : www.MokeRoundUp.com.au

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 07:50:49 PM »
Looks like there are a few double ups in the list  ;D
They'll get it sorted, there just seems to be so much interest  8)
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 07:56:59 PM »
Yes, they are aware of the problem and looking into it.

That's the problem with having free registration and opening regos on the day after the last event. They have only just released the list of names, so I'll bet a lot of people (I'm looking at you Shorty  ;) ) registered last year and six months later couldn't remember if they had or not, so registered again.

As you said HP, they get it sorted  :)

The other problem with having free rego that is open for so long, is that a lot of people seem to register a year or so before the event, no doubt fully intending to go at the time, but then other things come up and they don't bother to deregister.

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 06:47:33 PM »
Heads up to all the mokers flying the flag at the Rylstone Classic this weekend. Hope you all have a great trip, and it's not too cold overnight.
The mini beast and I will be there in spirit, I have to work this weekend  :(

Mellow
1980 Moke Californian 1275 - The minibeast

Yellow Mokes Rule!

KMC

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• 2024 Moke Round Up

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 09:18:34 PM »
Sorry to hear that you can’t make Rylstone, Mellow.

We’ll catch up at Tamworth (which is fast approaching); no doubt that the mini beast is looking forward to a trip  :)

...KMC

2024 Moke Round Up Tamworth : www.MokeRoundUp.com.au

AlanS

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 08:03:45 AM »
Hi All
At a casual glance I did a rough count of 18 Mokes attending this years Rylstone Classic I know of 1 cancellation due to a blown head gasket,the organizers are estimating around 150 cars this year should be a good run if we can get out of the carpark.

AlanS :)

I've told you a million times stop exaggerating!

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 12:36:21 PM »
Hi All
At a casual glance I did a rough count of 18 Mokes attending this years Rylstone Classic I know of 1 cancellation due to a blown head gasket,the organizers are estimating around 150 cars this year should be a good run if we can get out of the carpark.

Is that Andy Mac Al?

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 02:42:56 PM »
Hi All

Blown head gasket?  Sounds familiar.  :( Not me this time.

Yellow Mokes Rule!

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 08:45:42 PM »
Blown head gasket?  Sounds familiar.  :( Not me this time.

True Mellow, but kinda cheating when you just don't come  :D

A pity we won't see you there, but glad to see you're registered for a return appearance to Round Up  8)

AlanS

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 08:49:34 PM »
Yes Newie Andy dropped out he will still be at the Gosford Car Museum in Mini 850 but wont be taking part in the Rylstone Classic as he doesn't want to rush the repair on the head which is going out for a machine and he is also going to oil stone the top of the block. It's a pity but that's all apart of owning these lovely old cars isn't it :)
No Mellow all your troubles are behind you now all that awaits are good memories to be made waiting to roll with you again 

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 09:09:49 PM »
That's a pity for him, but better safe than sorry.

As you say though, that's all part of the game we play  :)

I've been down in the shed tonight myself tidying up a few loose ends ready for KMC and I to do the run down to Gosford tomorrow.

Newie

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 07:43:16 PM »
Well, the Rylstone Classic is done and dusted for another year, and all went very well, with no major mishaps that I heard of.

KMC and I headed down to Gosford in Cool Breeze on Friday, having a nice leisurely run down the Great North Rd through Wollombi, which was a definite improvement on the Freeway run last year. Weather was cool, but fine and sunny, so not too bad as we were dressed appropriately. Relatively trouble free once we stopped in Singleton and connected the speedo cable that I'd forgotten about when putting the dash back together the night before and tightened up the fuse for the indicators which was somehow playing havoc with half of the dash.

Got there in plenty of time to check in at our accom and head across the road to the local RSL for a few drinks while we waited for Forum member Kell to finish work and bring the family down to join us for a great dinner, along with a few more drinks.

As usual, we were among the earlier ones at the Gosford Car Museum starting point on Saturday morning, getting there in plenty of time to check out the other entrants as they arrived and stand around chatting in the sun for a couple of hours.

Our running mates this year were the SMOG (Sydney Moke Owners Group) folk, many of whom are Forum members. There were 9 Mokes in our core group, which may have been a few too many to get there in quick time, but we all got on well together and no mechanical problems to speak of this year.

Bellbird Hotel (Cessnock) was chosen for a lunch stop after Wollombi Hotel was ruled out by the 80 or so Minis lining the road when we went through there.

The afternoon was an interesting zig zag run through the back roads on the Eastern side of the highway between Branxton and Singleton. Not an area that Greg or I have ever really travelled much before, so some new scenery for us there.

Regrouping at a servo in Singleton, we were making reasonable time, but had to keep moving if we were going to make Rylstone by dark.

A couple of minor unscheduled stops and a quick visit to a mine site ;) lost us a bit of time here and there, but still going OK until we found another Moke in distress on the side of the road. Turned out to be a broken rear Hi-lo, which had them stuck until Shorty produced a spare trumpet and ball/socket  8). MattP lent a hand on the tools and they were soon back on the road, albeit a little lopsided and weighed down by the decent load they were carrying in the back.

As noble and necessary as this was, it resulted in the Moke group (plus one Mini that was travelling with the broken down Moke) being at the tail end of the field again. The clouds started to look threatening for the first time right at the wrong end of the day.

A little unnerving travelling up the first range coming into Rylstone at dusk and by the time we were on the second range just out of town it was fully dark and drizzling rain. Anyone who has been out on any western roads in the past few months will know that they are littered with roadkill at the moment due to the harsh winter drought bringing the animals up to the road. There are not many wallabies around Rylstone, but a lot of full sized kangaroos and solid looking wombats, so we all breathed a sigh of relief when we made it into town unscathed.

To be continued....

With thanks to AlanS and MattP for a lot of the photos  :)

AlanS

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 08:26:56 PM »
Thanks Newie for the write up it was a great run Kerrie and I really enjoyed it. I don't know why my GPS thought a mine road would be a interesting detour but it did and those that were paying attention were quick enough to get us turned around before too much ground was lost. But as usual when Matthew P (Blueboy) was repairing Mokes I was deep in conversation and forgot to top up my fuel which led me to arriving into Rylstone on fumes requiring a fuel stop that took 30.3 Ltrs of fuel which I paid the consequences for the following day on the road to Sofala on the way home when flakes in the bottom of the fuel tank blocked the first inline filter before the pump but after a few freezing minutes in the snow and a burnt hand from the manifold for being stupid we were back on track.                                                                                                                                                Had lunch at Sofala                                                                                      And then onto Lithgow were we had coffee and cake before splitting into 2 separate groups and when we left the Cafe my Moke Pegasus decided it didn't want to turn it lights on anymore because it was snowing now so I was sandwich in between Mini13r and Shorty for the run down the mountains towards Penrith not being able to make home before dark Pegasus had a sleepover at Shorty's house and I came back and got him the next day after work. All up we had a wonderful weekend I personally travelled 747 Km and travelled with some great people who I would like to thank for their help and support in making it such a great time :)

AlanS       

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 09:12:18 PM »
Snow!!!   :o  I guessed it would be a cold run, but wow. And more mokes joining each year.  :)
I'm hoping next year I can finally make the run. Thanks for the pics and the write up guys.

Yellow Mokes Rule!