Author Topic: Prime Oil Pump  (Read 642 times)

T.O.M

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Prime Oil Pump
« on: June 17, 2018, 03:56:11 PM »
O.K a quick one.
What is the procedure to prime the oil pump before starting engine.
Thanks in advance.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
Re: Prime Oil Pump
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 04:17:24 PM »
Hi,
The thing I do is fill the pump with oil on assembly, and even if its sitting for a while, remove the coil lead and wind the engine over with the starter until I see oil pressure in the gauge, or the oil light goes out on the dash.
I know some people remove the feed pipe from the block and pour oil in there, i've not done it this way so not sure how much they put through.

Must be close now  8)
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 10:04:05 PM »
Hi,
similar to HP's first method but remove the spark plugs so it will spin quicker and under less stress until you get oil. 

Pouring oil back down the feed pipe to Oil filter can work or if you have some clear( you want to see it coming) 1/2" hose stick it down the feed pipe hole in the block and suck the oil up through the pump. I tend to do this if you don't get oil fairly quickly using method one. 

Terry
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:25:55 AM by Terry »

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 08:08:06 PM »
Back in the days when i  had to work on cars for a living i had an su fuel pump with fittings to allow me to screw into the oil gallery via the oil pressure switch. ( I am talking holden here)   I just dropped the pick up line  into a bottle of fresh oil and connected the pump to a battery and by the time i had to start the engine i already had oil pressure.   It must have really given the poor pump a hard time because it ticked away so slowly.

T.O.M

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 09:13:29 AM »
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES GUYS.
ABOUT TO PUT MY ENGINE BACK IN AND NEEDED TO DO SOME HOMEWORK ABOUT STARTING IT.