austmoke

Author Topic: New member introduction!  (Read 273 times)

Leetonmoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

New member introduction!
« on: July 08, 2018, 07:09:20 PM »
Hi all i thought Id take a moment to introduce myself, my name is Joe and im from Leeton nsw.

I started my thing with mokes from a very young age, my mother had one on her P's, I learnt to drive in the same car when it turned up many years later, I bought my own at age 13 in 1999 and how have three "projects" (well two and one parts car thats way beyond it.) a 77 model 1 litre in am eye blue, a farm fresh 1969 big wheeler in G.T.O green and my parts car which is a 1971 model in stella blue.

I will add some pics as soon as I work out how to.

Cheers Joe.

Leetonmoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: New member introduction!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 08:43:46 PM »
So here goes with some photos hopefully....

Here is mums moke in 1985:

and after we got it back and I was learning to drive around the farm we had in 1999

This car was sold after I moved from Tasmania in 2000, I would love to know what came of it, as far as I know it was bought by a guy in Zeehan and painted green, the canopy did turn up a few years later on ebay in sandy bay, it was a big part of our family over the years and would be good to see what became of it.

Leetonmoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 08:54:41 PM »
So after moving to NSW to live with my father I scratched together enough money to buy another one, in hindsight it would have been better to have bought the better of the two I had to choose from, but I wanted something to hoon the paddocks with again cheap. I still have this one today, the floors are rough and it does need a lot of tlc.

Last year I brought it home from 18 years of storage,  a quick oil change , fresh fuel and a battery the 998 fired up first go.

Why do teenagers insist on spraypainting our paddock bashers?

I have been slowly accumilating bits and pieces to get this one underway, someone had welded flat sheet over the original floor in he front and replaced the rear subframe mount at the bottom of the toe board with 30x30 rhs, its a bit of a mess.

Leetonmoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 09:14:10 PM »
So a couple weeks ago looking around on facebook I came across this locally, I need a fuel tank for my blue moke amongst other little bits and for $300 i was happy to load it and take it home.

There is seriously no floor at all left in this, and even the subframe has holes rusted all through it, engine is seized and even the suspension trumpets were so corroded one had shattered.

Leetonmoke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 09:30:05 PM »
and heres my green moke I got last week. Its very sad to say the least, the date stamp on the 10" rear tyres with full tread show 1975, unfortunately a long time ago a tree landed on it, the rust probably wouldnt have been so bad if it hadnt been left choc a block full of leaves and debris for many years.

at the end of the day this one probably isnt really viable either, but I couldnt leave it there. Engine is locked solid also. If I can find a cheap replacement engine at minimum ill put the effort in to make it drive to use around the yard. Best case Ill find a way to pull the firewall straight and make a crack at the rust.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 09:45:50 PM »
Welcome aboard Joe  :)
Looks like you've started to muster quite a few MOKE's recently  ;D Funny how that can happen  ;).
Thanks for sharing your story( and well done with the pics  ;)), its good to see how an early experience with these cars can stay with you.

Cheers
Halfpint.
"Ametures sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us get up and go to work"
Stephen King.

KMC

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 07:57:45 AM »
 ;D ;D

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 01:25:27 PM »
Welcome Joe,
Bit of work in front of you, good luck. been a few years since I passed through Leeton, nice place.
There are a few Taswegians on the forum so history on Mums ol girl might be at hand.
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"