Author Topic: Diff? tight then loose when turning driveshaft.  (Read 338 times)

matpaul

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Diff? tight then loose when turning driveshaft.
« on: July 12, 2018, 01:00:33 PM »
Helping someone convert from front drums to discs (all new parts, including pot joints), have put the driveshaft back in on one side and noticed that when turning the driveshaft it gets very tight to turn and then loose again as it goes further round. The gearbox is in neutral so I am thinking the problem is in the diff. I am just wondering if anyone can help pinpoint the fault. I am guessing it might have something to do with the spider gears. I am pretty sure this is not a good problem to have but just wondering how terminal it might be.
Thanks for the forum, I learn something new every time I read it (couldn't find an answer to this problem with a search so far).
Cheers,
Mathew.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Diff? tight then loose when turning driveshaft.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 06:02:51 PM »
Hi,

it could be the disc is slightly warped and is binding on the pads each time around.  It could also be a diff carrier bearing, the big ones on each side, that is wearing out or has gunk in it.

When looking for problems in the driveline make sure you stop one side of the diff from turning, or put it in gear if you want to test both sides, as the design of a diff means the energy will travel the path of least resistance so what you may think is on one side is actually the wheel on the other side or inside the gearbox binding or dragging.

Terry
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:05:29 PM by Terry »
Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Maddog

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    One by one, the Mokes slowly drove him insane....
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 01:37:01 AM »
Hi matpaul,

Is the moke jacked up with the wheels hanging? I have had the same thing happen, but lifting the wheels up with a jack it turned over fine. Mine were pretty old pot joints though, and I think they were just out of their comfort zone. Still, worth a try.

Cheers, MD.
Mickey 81 Californian Arnold 82 Californian Baldy 82 Californian Ron 79 Califakian Eskymoke 82 Californian

Step aside coffee, this is a job for alcohol!

matpaul

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 12:38:12 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. No calipers or pads are fitted and the pot joint was tight to turn before I put the driveshaft in. I will investigate a bit more once the other driveshaft is in. Hopefully it is just some strange anomaly that will sort itself out once both sides of the diff are equally loaded.
Cheers,
Mathew.
Cheers,
Mathew.

matpaul

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 09:18:52 PM »
Went back to the vehicle today, first thing I did was turn the driveshaft, it turned smoothly and evenly. Can't explain why! I did notice that the cv boot metal clip had been touching against the hub but I don't think that was the problem as I am sure I tried turning the driveshaft before I put the hub on. I have only done this a few times but I am yet to find a simple and effective cv boot tie for holding the outer cv boot.
Cheers,
Mathew.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 09:26:11 PM »
Went back to the vehicle today, first thing I did was turn the driveshaft, it turned smoothly and evenly. Can't explain why! I did notice that the cv boot metal clip had been touching against the hub but I don't think that was the problem as I am sure I tried turning the driveshaft before I put the hub on. I have only done this a few times but I am yet to find a simple and effective cv boot tie for holding the outer cv boot.
Good to see it is fixed, for now. :)

I use a pliable wire and loop it twice around the boot and twist it tight with a pair of pliers. Any decent size plastic cable tie will foul on the hub and I have a proper tool for the metal CV clips but I haven't got the knack of making them right so i get annoyed and go back to using my wire.

Terry
Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 08:00:37 AM »
I use the proper CV boot tool with the stainless straps, the outers are a bitch, you have to get them dead straight and don't over tighten them or they will slip in use.