Author Topic: Help with body & engine numbers  (Read 997 times)

Wobbly Boot

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Help with body & engine numbers
« on: August 03, 2018, 07:51:38 AM »
Hi folks
I see much going on with the dark art of number deciphering. I have the following partly decoded and question marks where I need help or where the numbers are unreadable.

Engine 10 Y Ta H 35651 = 1098cc / Made in Australia / 4 speed remote centre gear change / H ?

Body YJBAB8R 5187 Q??B 4728

Vin Moke 5/71 YJBAB8R 5187

Thanks in advance to the decoders

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Help with body & engine numbers
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 04:03:51 PM »
Hi,

The 10YTaH is a 1098(1100) engine and that matches the '8' in the body Prefix(VIN) so that matches that a 1098 was fitted in the Moke when it left the factory.

The 'H' I think is High Compression, but don't get too excited, it is just high compression for a Moke. :) 

The 10Y engine was not fitted into the Mokes and comes from a Morris 850 or Mini Van according John Sneddons book.

These numbers/letters were stamped into the Firewall, Q??B 4728  ?

Terry

Wobbly Boot

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 07:45:41 AM »
Hi Terry thanks for the response the Q??B number is stamped on the radiator cowling which is a bit mangled hence the 2 missing digits. I cannot find anything stamped on the firewall. Had a quiet chuckle about the H though.
Ta Brian

Wobbly Boot

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 06:08:04 PM »
I amongst my boxes of parts i found only one drive shaft joint, a hardy spicer which tends to point me to my gearbox heritage. What might it be from?
Numbers on the gearbox are R6273/4 and 22A1288.
A bit more of a dig around the engine found some more more numbers; 1100 on an alloy plate with 265M cast into the block behind the alloy plate and WMO 237588 and 12A497 also cast into the block.
Any guidance as to what i might have my learned mokers.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 08:31:24 PM »
Hi,

the 22A1288 is a four synchro box that is common on that vintage of engine so likely to be the original. The R62734 is a serial number that would have been stamped into it.

When you say Hardy Spicer are you refering to a the Metal Universal Joint or the Pot style CV joint? I recently stripped a 1288 box recently and it had the CV Joints in it.

Terry

Wobbly Boot

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 09:53:49 AM »
Terry the metal hardy spicer uni joint was attached to a drive shaft. In one of the parts boxes. When you say you found cv joints in box i get confused, i thought these things belonged outside.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 10:36:41 AM »
Hi,

the CV joint is fitted from the outside but they use a different output shaft to the uni joints so the assembly of the diff determines which output to use and hence the type of joint.

If you look at the shaft coming out of the diff, does it have a circlip near the end of the spline or is there a thread area at the end of the spline? The first is CV and the later is a uni joint.

Terry

Wobbly Boot

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 01:18:05 PM »
I will rat through the pile and let you know what i find, might take a day or so, other commitments at present

Wobbly Boot

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 11:26:57 PM »
Neither spline or thread visible in the box of goodies. In the centre of image shows plate with 4 short bolts which i imagine the hardie spicer uni joint bolts onto.

Wobbly Boot

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 06:12:27 AM »
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 08:33:13 AM »
Hi,

going by that big patch of green engine mount bracket hanging off the timing plate I would say your engine was in a Morris 1100 at same stage.

The output shafts are the Uni style so the two joints in the end plates are the correct ones for the diff.

Also check between the bolt holes on the crown wheel and either the part number.(eg.22Gnnn) or the teeth count, eg. 64/17. It should be on the side facing up in the picture and it will tell you if it is a good choice for a Moke.

Terry

Wobbly Boot

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 09:24:20 AM »
Thanks Terry and HP, yes the gallery tends to be a bit hit and miss for me but leat i now know what i am working with.