austmoke

Author Topic: A trip to the Corner Store.  (Read 1774 times)

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
Re: A trip to the Corner Store.
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2019, 10:03:18 PM »
Keep me in the loop but I’ll have to stay on the fence a bit longer, just need to get a house reno finished and then I’ll have time to see if Dynky will make it to the corner store and back.
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 10:15:57 PM »
Keep me in the loop but I’ll have to stay on the fence a bit longer, just need to get a house reno finished and then I’ll have time to see if Dynky will make it to the corner store and back.

The Corner Store in Moe or the one in NSW?

The house will still be there when you get back.

Terry
Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 07:19:36 PM »
Hi,

updated the Feral's list with MoeMoke now making the commitment to join us. :)

Terry
Cujo. 1999 - 2016

yellaterra

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 09:34:16 PM »
Here’s wishing you all well on your adventure the Birdsville pub and Cameron’s corner should be on every true aussies bucket list as well as the dig tree. Hope your all prepared as it’s been over 45 digs out there all week and only expected to drop to 40’s after Easter. A good test for man and moke in Australia’s toughest environment  Good luck makers. Happy and safe trip to you all  yellaterra

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 05:58:30 PM »
Hi,

young Robbie has pulled out as he is going to mow/grow the grass at Wimbledon this year and leaves in April.

Terry
Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Moke 71

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 06:21:45 PM »
Congrats Robbie, amazing opportunity.
Moke 1971
Moke 1976 - Daily
Moke 1978 Californian
Moke 1979 - AKA Thomas
and too many round nose minis

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2019, 07:38:29 PM »
Hi,

plans for the trip have been pretty fluid lately with the attendees list but we seem to have the final list of shoppers for the trip now. 

Terry
Team ex-Mazy
Peter
Smithy
Moemoke
Neil(ex Coxy)

So 6 Mokes and 7 people.

Dave and Robbie have their priorities wrong and let work get in the way of going for a Moke at the last minute.

Most seem to be ready with just packing to be done while my plans are situation normal with an early start of preparations interrupted by an engine swap and preparation of one of the other Mokes means I will be busy getting things done at the last minute again.

The weather looks good this week while temperatures around Broken Hill are in the high 20's each day I have seen them and no rain forecasted so a nice dry trip and not too windy this time I hope.

Terry
Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 09:34:41 AM »
Go well
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2019, 10:56:35 PM »
Hi,

a bit of an update on the trip, but no photos yet, but we are spending our second night in Milparnka after just getting here as the rain set in for the next 12 hours. With most of us swagging or tenting I turned on the charm and we managed to take over the old courthouse for our sleeping quarters which has been a decided mark up from sleeping in the sticky slop that is normally a dry and dusty ground.

The courthouse is like our little island in a sea of mud and really only this afternoon that we have ventured out on foot to look around. The pub serves these Chicken parmas that are huge, can't finish one, and there is a handful of other tourists all stuck here while some escaped this morning the roads are officially closed and we can't get the Mokes across the sloppy creek that the 4wd's cut up on us.

Yesterday we took a chance and left White Cliffs and dodged around some rain and dust storms, quite literally next to one another, to get here.

Team Mazy has been plagued by there ongoing Alternator killer and had to have a water pump removed and radiator flushed to get the temperature down to a manageable  level. Neil with the borrowed engines had some teething problems with the engine breathing trying to keep the oil inside the engine and a fuel pump that wasn't quite up to heavy foot. The replacement electric pump is pushing through more than it should so economy is a poor but the Moke is going well otherwise.

On my Moke I have had to disconnect one rear brake line when a pipe flare cracked or deformed causing the fluid to pour onto the ground when I hit the pedal. The work I did on the straightening the wheels, the suspension and getting it all aligned properly has made DS enjoyable to drive again so money and time well spent.

We find out in the morning if the roads are going to open and if so we will head to Tibboburra and the see if the road to Camerons Corner is open also, and then work out if we need to use Plan B or C. Still hoping to come down the border track but may be not all of it as it closed at the top.

Terry
Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2019, 06:20:19 PM »
You folks know that the majority of the country - especially the outback - is in drought, right??  ;)  :-\

Hoping the weather has improved for you and at least most of the roads stay open.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2019, 05:08:54 AM »
As much fun as it is out there, if it rains, it would be hard slog on the tracks.
Hope you dodged the bulk of it.
HP
Experiencing the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.
"As a Moke owner, you have a heightened awareness of Mokes in your environment, they were always there." 

https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?topic=4727.msg161920#msg161920

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2019, 07:00:07 PM »
Hi,

we didn't dodge it, pretty much parked ourselves in the middle of it for a few days. :)

On late Tuesday arvo we were going crazy so decided to head out down Poole's road to see if we could get to Depot Glen and Poole's Grave as Monday morning  some 4wd drivers that came in that way said we wouldn't make it. They were probably right but at the boggy water filled crossing we found a way to drive down the creek beds and make our way out the other side. A fun little challenge.

We finally got out of Milparinka on Wednesday morning and decided to head up to Tibboburra 40km to see if the Camerons Corner road was open which it turns out it wasn't and while we are taking photos of the Mokes in front of the Tibboburra sign a car pulled up and changed the sign to Closed for the road we had just driven up on from Milparinka. Buggered.

We rolled into the fuel station and there were 4wd's parked everywhere waiting to get out and around town there was plenty more just sitting around waiting, some we had seen escape Mlparinka only to have been trapped in Tibbo. We fueled up and looked at anything and everything around town and then ended up sitting on the pub verandah wondering how long we were going to be stuck this time.

Around midday we got word the Camerons Corner road had opened 'with Caution' so we decided to give it a crack and headed out followed by a few groups of 4wds some saying they would help us through the bad patches but eventually left us behind after they found they were not required. Apparently a photo shoot at Mokely Creek is not something that interests them. :)

The road was fairly good with not too many corrugations until the national ark where they got a bit heavier but still not the worse  had seen out there. We arrived at the gate, took some pictures and then organised camp for the night and then went to post to stand in the three states etc.

.....to be continued (scared the connection will drop and I will lose what i have written.)

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2019, 07:37:32 PM »
Moe and I went collecting firewood in the dunes nearby and we came across a pre-burning log which was a new one to me so carefully carried it back to our fire pit and that became the start of our Bush TV for the evening.

Thursday morning the roads down the Border were open so we decided to give it a go and see how far we would get. Back down the main track for 60km and then we turned off towards Lake Stewart Station for the 370km drive to Silverton. The track was better than the main road, a few patches of corrugations and some soft sand over the dunes, but otherwise a good run for most of the day. The only other vehicles we saw were two farm vehicles moving Sheep to another part of the property or maybe it was a short cut to the main road, but we only followed them for 10 minutes.

We never saw Hawkers Gate, the locked gate into South Australia, but we think we know where they hid it and the flies were wherever we stopped so no lunch just kept driving finally getting out of the dunes about 100km from Silverton around onto wide open rolling hills country about 4:30 when the fun started. We travelled 340km in around 8 hours, we covered the next 90km in 8 hours. 

Team Mazy called up and said they were making funny noises which we determined to be a blown head gasket so in a matter of two hours we had the head off, new gasket in place and head back on the and ready to roll just after the sun disappeared. We moved off in the dark and made about 50 metres before Team Mazy shuddered to a stop with a strangely intermittent electrical issue that that would go on for the rest of the night.

Travel in the dark was slow, when were weren't stopped, and then it got slower when Team Mazy lost power for the headlights due to previously mentioned alternator issue. At sometime in all this we fitted some magnetic base LED camp lights to their front guard and that improved things a bit. Able to travel a bit faster was perhaps not a good idea as it turned out.

Smithy at the tail end called on the radio that he had lost his trailer, as it turned out he lost everything back there. His little camper trailed broke a spring on the left side which fell to the track and then dug in and flipped the trailer dumping the camper/tent thingy on the road upside down, his belongings along the next 20 odd metre and then a bit of a gap to the upside down trailer still attached to the Moke.

I don't think anyone took photos of the carnage but a spare wheel above the axle and lots of rope holding it all in place and Smithy was able to crawl along the road to keep moving. Neil was following behind with his lights and spotties on the trailer to make sure it was okay until his battery ran out of juice, another alternator issue, and the electric fuel pump stopped working. Smithy kept rolling along with Moe providing the trailer lighting while we got Neil going again.

With another Moke without headlights, we cable tied a LED camp light to the bumper and 'cyclops' became another of the wheeling wounded just keeping ahead of Smithy each time Team Mazy had to stop. After awhile Peter, who was having radio issues, took over from Moe on the spectator lights while we traveled the last 20km of corrugations and bulldust holes that bad I had to just stop and wait for the cloud to clear as I was totally disorientated.

We rolled into Silverton on midnight and found a little piece no-mans land to camp for the night while Smithy now on the black stuff heading into Broken Hill to camp outside a Trailer Repair place until they opened. 

Terry
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 07:48:37 PM by Terry »
Cujo. 1999 - 2016

yellaterra

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2019, 07:58:09 PM »
Amazing fellas.  Just like the ANZACs. You adapted, improvised and over came the issues which would have stopped any normal 4wd tourist.  Well done fellas. You are a credit to the mateship and have done the moke drivers crew the credit they have earned over the years.  May your trip home be a bit more comfortable and your stories and tales at the next Moke Roundup get bigger. Well done to all Yellaterra

KMC

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2019, 09:42:21 AM »
Thanks Terry for the trip report so far.

It sounds like the group is indeed having some "issues", but in true Moking spirit you are banding together, helping each other and soldiering on.

Best of luck (if that's the right word ???) for the remainder of the trip.