Author Topic: A trip to the Corner Store.  (Read 3215 times)

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: A trip to the Corner Store.
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2019, 09:01:58 PM »
Hi,

and some more pictures as we begin the trip south...

We had to travel back 60km on the Camerons Corner road to get to the junction of Waka Road that we took south to connect up with the Border Downs road. It is not sign posted heavily as it is really a road for the locals to get to their stations but there is a enough signs to get you to Silverton or back across to the Silver City highway.

Most of the dunes we crossed for the rest of the day were hard clay topped but some of the earlier ones were like this with some soft stuff across the top.

The road travelled right alongside the Border/Dingo fence for about 50-60kms in a section in the middle, but otherwise we were just meandering along through the scrub and dunes. There is a service road that runs along each side of the fence but it is a big nono to be caught driving along the fence itself.

Stopping for lunch took awhile as we searched for some shade close to the road, this dry creek bed doing the honours for a quick lunch of canned fish.

After we left the dunes country the scenery changed to these long rolling stone covered hills until dark, after that not really sure what it was like. :)

The red one getting some roadside assistance as we replaced the head gasket that blew between 1&2. Managed to do it all in two hours and back on the road just after the sun set.

A real lot of things happened between the last photo and this one and you kind of had to be there to understand it, but we woke up the next morning to find my secluded little late night camping spot wasn't quite as secluded as I thought with there being houses just over those trees.

The Red One had a lot issues on this trip, strange issues that couldn't be explained, but this picture could give some clues as to why it was running rough at times.

A trip to Silverton isn't a trip to Silverton unless you park the Mokes in front of the Icon Silverton Hotel. An empty spot there for our fallen Moke, Smithy, who had headed in to Broken Hill with his mangled trailer in the wee hours.

And for the Mad Max buffs amongst us we had to Park the Mokes where the tanker rolls in the final scenes in of Mad Max II. They needed the hill behind us to get enough speed up to roll the truck in the manner they wanted.

And finally a little special place where you can stand on the edge of the Darling River and see a peak of the Murray River through the gap. The first place the two rivers join.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 09:05:54 PM by Terry »

T.O.M

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2019, 02:55:28 PM »
wow
Well done

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2019, 07:58:43 PM »
The clutch issue is intriguing me for sure Halfpint, is it exactly the same thing as happened at Tamworth?  From memory the centre of the clutch drive plate fractured and tore out of the plate, is that correct?

The clutch plate replaced on Sunday was pretty much the same as the Tamworth fail shown in this thread, https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?topic=12342.msg164363#msg164363

Team Mazy have pictures of the second failure and I think once they have caught up with things they will add details in the above mentioned thread and the progress of diagnosing the problem. Team Mazy went back last week and picked up The Red One so it is back home now.

I so have to add a trip like this to my "bucket list".

The photos make it seem like the hardships were nothing but added adventure.
You could put it on a list and place it in a bucket or you could just get out there and do it. You learn a bit of stuff about you and your Moke. Neil who was driving the white Moke, on loan from Coxy, has bought a Moke for himself now has had his eyes opened to what a Moke can do, what can go wrong and how they can be kept going.

It was an Adventure and it was a one of the good ones in my experience, maybe because my Moke was relatively trouble free for a change, but I think because the people still kept their humour in the some trying times, particularly that Thursday night. In spite of, or perhaps because of the car issues, delays due to weather and the rather fluid schedule everyone just accepted it, took on a few risks and challenges and helped out whenever they could and there were no harsh words or tempers boiling over and everyone was in good spirits. Even when Smithys belongings were spread across the track and his trailer was upside down in the dark, he took the jokes and smart arse remarks well while everyone did what they could to get him mobile again and limp the cars into Silverton.

Terry

yellaterra

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2019, 04:29:07 PM »
Well done to the Corner trekkers   You don’t need to be shot at to see the great Aussie spirits that exist today. Mateship and helping each other is the Aussie essence of this country from long ago. We all appreciate the dedication of this group to go out and see this great country. I am still sure that their adventures on this trek will be remembered long after the next muster. Thanks to all the Corner trekkers. YT

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2019, 08:43:44 PM »
And another photo, this time from my drone, taken at Cameron Corner.
It kept a couple of kids from an adjacent camp busy chasing the drone.

Now I just need to work out how to post the videos I took.

1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2019, 10:40:41 PM »
Great to see all the photos and really good to hear that everyone got on so well,
despite all of the tests that were thrown up.

Pavel cz

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2019, 04:36:29 PM »
That is amazing trip guys ! What an adventure. Greetings from far Czech Republic, with all the respect for such a trip. Good luck.

Peter

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2019, 03:28:27 PM »
When we were in Silverton we had a little explore around an old mine site on the edge of town. I had the Go Pro going during some of it and with a little bit of first time editing managed to come up with something that looks OK to me. The camera does not do justice to the angles of the climbs and drops but it gives you an idea
This is my first time of trying to put something up on You Tube if there is a better way of getting videos on the forum can someone let me know

https://youtu.be/0FGnQsrdk8I

Enjoy
Peter
It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence.

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2019, 04:42:56 PM »
Well done Pete. I have been shooting some stuff with my Gopro so need to learn how to post as well. I'm hoping Youtube will have the answers
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2019, 08:17:03 PM »
The camera does not do justice to the angles of the climbs and drops but it gives you an idea
Peter

You are right the steepness of the hill is not really shown in the video. If The Red One was going to tear out a clutch I would have thought it would have done it going up that grade.

And for another perspective on the trip Peter has put some words and pictures together for MokeWerx, https://www.moke.com.au/about/adventures/679-peter-s-trip-to-the-corner-store

Terry