austmoke

Author Topic: Warm 1100 not getting warm enough  (Read 290 times)

jimivo

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Go ahead Moke my day
Warm 1100 not getting warm enough
« on: September 02, 2018, 11:28:46 AM »
Hey Guys, So I have a new 82 degree thermostat, a heater hose take off from end of cylinder head(unleaded head) always on (removed tap). An plus Engine, so has a by pass hose. New temperature gauge , I have checked goes straight to 100 C when put into jug of boiling water. Temp won't get over 60 C driving, goes up to about 70 C when idling, stop engine within minutes temp goes to 80 C. How do I go about getting the engine to run hotter? Cheers, Jim

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2020 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

Re: Warm 1100 not getting warm enough
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 12:31:17 PM »
Most people have the opposite problem Jim  ::)

For a start, mine has always run quite hot and I'm always keeping an eye on it in summer to make sure things don't get out of hand, but then again it's been running hot (sometimes really hot) for quite a few years now and surviving fine so far. Apparently some just run hotter (or colder) than others. That said, you are right in saying 60 degrees seems too low. I know mine doesn't run properly at that temp. I know this because on a really cold day, my hot running Moke taes quite a while to get up to temp.

What I'm trying to say is that these old engines are a lot more prone to being affected by ambient temperature than moderns. They can run a lot hotter in summer than winter, so part of your problem may be solved in a month or so when the weather warms up.

That's not the whole problem though. One thing which will help you in winter would be to put the tap back on your heater and turn it off in winter until the engine gets up to temp. Turning the heater on in summer (minus the fan) is a common solution to reducing engine temp as it increases the coolant flow through the system.

Newie

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 01:11:05 PM »
Hi,

there used to be available panels of vinyl material that you could wrap through the middle column on the grille to blank off some of the air flow to help the engines warm up. I removed a piece of metal doing the same job off a grille recently, but the material option is better as it doesn't mark the paintwork or needs screws and holes and a bit of velcro or press studs it is quick to put on and off.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 11:52:56 AM »
I used a piece of Ice cream container to block of a portion of the grille, but since I have fitted the heated manifold, I no longer need or use it.
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

technosausage

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    maturity is a choice
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 09:47:08 AM »
Hi jim, another option to make it run better would just be to put thinner oil in so that you dont require as much heat to get your oil to reach the correct viscosity. Also there is a shiny silver tape type material that aviation mechanics put over plane radiators in winter that can be easily removed in the warmer months. I believe its made by rotax but perhapse you could try taking it for a trip to your local airport?