Author Topic: Wombeyan Cave Run June 16-17th 2018  (Read 1100 times)

AlanS

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Wombeyan Cave Run June 16-17th 2018
« on: May 24, 2018, 01:44:43 PM »
For those wanting to go for a good run, Sydney Moke Owners Group are off again to the western area.
Wombeyan caves will be our destination in June.
The trip will be on the weekend of Sat 16th - Sun 17th. It will be a nice drive starting from(The Blue Mountains) Mt Victoria Caltex Service Station at 7am.           Heading off at 7.30am.
The journey will take use through Jenolan Caves where morning tea can be purchased at Caves House ( Thank you for this information Mini13r ).
We will then be Moving off to the Wombeyan Caves which will be a overnight stay in dormitory style accommodation (with oil heating I have been told)

The return trip to Sydney will be by graded dirt road to join the Hume Hwy around Mittagong
Anybody wishing to come along is more than welcome to join us.

AlanS

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:44:00 PM by AlanS »
I've told you a million times stop exaggerating!

min13r

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Wombeyan Cave Run June 16-17th 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 05:45:03 PM »
Should be a great weekend Alan..I think 8 mokes and 12 or 13 mokers so far are keen to get out and explore 😀😀just need to pack sleeping gear and I'm ready...
 Still a couple of beds available @ $15 a head...doesn't include a turn down service....

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 05:47:02 PM »
(with oil heating I have been told)
Well that is good because those first few minutes on a cold morning can be damaging to your engines.
Terry

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 06:38:52 PM »
Still a couple of beds available @ $15 a head...doesn't include a turn down service....

There's a joke there somewhere about AlanS and Shorty not needing a turn down service and getting turned down for free, but I'd better leave it....  :-X  ;) ;D

AlanS

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 07:16:55 PM »
Well that is good because those first few minutes on a cold morning can be damaging to your engines.
Terry
Terry do you thing I will be allowed to push the Moke into the Dorm overnight  ::) just to keep the oil warm  ;), Might just be easier to park over the camp fire ashes  :-\.
And I can assure you Newie I will be turning down Free  ::) .
There will be a lot more stories to come if the Snowy Mountains Run is anything to go off after putting all these meatheads under the one roof some will snore sleep and some will not  :-X ::) As Shorty and Halfpint can attest to after one individual managed to scare the wildlife out of the trees with his snoring sleeping :o  :o  :o but don't let that put you off coming we can always put the loud sleepers in the Honeymoon Suite and myself and the bride can rough it with the rest. If you are interested there are still beds available.

AlanS

P.S. I will have a separate room (the Honeymoon Suite) if Mrs AlanS is free to attend  8)

min13r

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 11:14:38 PM »
Looking at the weather forecast, we may well be snowkin this weekend 😀😀😀

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 10:49:26 AM »
Unfortunately I can't make the run this weekend. Looks like the temperature will be in single figures  :o
The trip out from the caves to Mittagong is a nice twisty dirt road with a causeway across the Wollondilly River.

Enjoy  :)
1980 Moke Californian 1275 - The minibeast

Yellow Mokes Rule!

KMC

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• 2024 Moke Round Up

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 01:38:54 PM »
Have a great weekend guys, and try to keep warm (well, at least mild).

..KMC

2024 Moke Round Up Tamworth : www.MokeRoundUp.com.au

AlanS

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 09:58:18 PM »
These are just a few of the photos we took on our weekend run from Mt White to Wombeyan Caves on a cold 5am start for me to meet up with the other Mokers from SMOG we left Mt White at approx 8:00am and headed to Jenolan Caves for morning tea but they don't start making anything hot until 10:30am did I say it was really cold any way after a luke warn sausage roll and a cuppa tea off we went to Kanangra Walls lookout 30 KLms of dirt in 30Klm out but it was worth it for a beautiful view Then it was onto Oberon for food and fuel where the weather was a bit damp with sleet falling after fueling ourselves and our cars it was then onto Wombeyan Caves where we spent the night in the Wombeyan Caves Camping Grounds Dormitories (cheap as chips) next morning off to find a bit off snow and then onto Mittagong for lunch and fuel and then we were homeward bound where on the outskirts of Sydney my trusty stead failed to proceed forward it appears I had cooked a coil (couldn't handle the high speeds ) but I was carrying a spare so popped that on and off we went all up there were 9 happy Mokers in 7 Mokes we travelled at tad over 600Klms about 120Klm of that was on wet dirt roads for a bit of variety since we are all city slickers but we all had a ball did I say it was cold but the scenery was breathtaking and worth every second of it so now to start planning our next outing.

Did I say it was cold  ;D

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 10:09:58 PM »
Looks like it was a great run Al, although I'll bet you were all glad to get home and out of the cold on Sunday evening.

Very impressed that you were carrying a spare coil. Unfortunately these things can be unpredictable and it would have been a miserable cold wait by the side of the road if you never had a  spare on board. The beauty about travelling in a group like this is that someone usually has what you need to get you going again, but always good if you have what you need yourself.

I'll no doubt see you all on the Rylstone weekend in August (that run was cold enough for me last year..)

Thanks for posting.

Newie

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 07:21:29 AM »
Can I see a certain member lifting a bonnet  ;) :D?
Looks like a great run everyone, even though it was freezing.
Thanks fo putting in a few pics and a write up Alan.
Cheers
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

AlanS

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 08:02:02 AM »
Thanks Newie & HP
The reason I was carrying the spare coil was I had recently treated myself to a new Dizzy,Coil,Leads & plugs and was carry the old ones in case something went wrong I even had a brand new GT40 under the passengers seat that I had bought for another Moker at the time I bought mine to save on postage.The Moke was running again before one of guys could go up the highway turn off the overpass come back turn off another overpass then come up to where we were all it did was add suspense to the story never took the gloss of a great weekend. :)

PS the coil was a GT40 that had done less than 1000 Kms

AlanS   

Pete Power

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• MIGHTY MOKE

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 01:43:02 PM »
Must have been cold Ian had long pants on :o
That's a worry with the coil, I have recently put the same on mine :-\
Awesome country, thanks for sharing
Happy Mokin
Regards
Pete

1981 Californian 1275 Galv "Mighty Moke"

"Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive!"

Mazy

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 04:26:38 PM »
Alan,

Thanks for sharing your very much 'in the spirit of Moking' weekend ;)  Great pics of the stunning landscape.

Lucky you weren't off the road for too long.....
.........I guess 'coils ain't coils' :D ::)

Mazy