Author Topic: It's running like a slug - what next to investigate?  (Read 673 times)

alicat

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

It's running like a slug - what next to investigate?
« on: September 11, 2018, 06:17:49 PM »
Hey all - need some advice on what to check next?

Moke has had power issues - a little sluggish in low gears and crap on the hills to the point it felt it was better to get out and walk ;D.

About two years ago I had the engine out and all gaskets and seal replaced, except the head gasket, as the engine had been spewing oil ever since I had the beast.

A lot less oil loss, and running superbly at high speeds, but not great at lower speeds and really noticeable on the hills were I previously had been able to shoot up the hill and fang it 😎.

Fast forward abouT two months ago.
Was due for a service and went in to the boys who replaced the fuel filter because it was full of crap.

Had a little more power up the hill but was still not fantastic. Over a week or so it became progressively sicker - with power cutting out with the foot down etc and running rough, as it has been so cold here morning starts were cold and needing choke and time so no big noticeable difference at idle.

Next on the list to check was the carbie. Has never been overhauled in the over two decades I have had the beast so off it went. Lots of crap inside, new needle seals etc.

A little improvement but notable flat spot on acceleration and just not feeling the power in the low gears. Look at the distributor at the same time and cleaned off corrosion and noted the rotator button was really worn.

Today had new cap, button and points and plugs in. leads are new from big engine job and a ok.

Beast is running a little smoother but still issues with power on acceleration and a bit of cutting out on the way home.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:24:28 PM by alicat »
A thingy-me-bob will do me for now...until I find out what it is called that is...

alicat

• Registered Member

Re: It's running like a slug - what next to investigate?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 06:20:58 PM »
Cont. thinking of taking her out for a long drive to burn out any other crap in the engine this weekend.

Any advice on where to next ? New head or head gasket? 😳

She is my daily driver so getting a little concerned?
Ali
A thingy-me-bob will do me for now...until I find out what it is called that is...

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 06:26:40 PM »
If it's the head and/or gasket, a compression test will soon tell you Ali.

Another thing to check though - you say the leads are new and look OK, but I had new, good quality leads a while back, and one of them broke down and gave very similar symptoms to what you're describing after only about six months. I was the same as you and thinking that it couldn't be that as they were basically new, but that's what it was. Idled OK, so even the old trick of removing leads one at a time didn't make any noticeable difference, but as soon as you put it under any decent load, there was very little power.

Newie

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 06:47:55 PM »
Hi,

where is the fuel filter located, before or after the fuel pump?

And check for the new leads touching the front grille just after they leave the dizzy cap.

Terry

alicat

• Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 07:00:37 PM »
 Hi terry and newie - will have to check the placement of the pump and lead position re grill? Is there a way to check if the leads are dodgy?

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 07:18:17 PM »
Sounds like you might need to track me down either Saturday or Sunday afternoons. I’ll be working in the mornings but can give you a couple of hours after 2pm.  Let me know if you’d like me to pick take a look?
And yes we can test the leads. With a multi meter.

Cheers

Dev. (Ant)
The Angry Ant has overcome 77Devil.
Watch out for the Ant!

alicat

• Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 08:39:31 PM »
Ant that would be awesome if you have time? Saturday maybe?

Luke

• Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 09:47:37 PM »
As suggested already, don’t ever be fooled into thinking that something that has recently been replaced can be ruled out as a suspect.  Most new parts are pretty poor quality now, I recently had a ignition coil give up after only 50km of driving and a heater tap give up after about 200km of driving.

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 11:27:39 PM »
Elec or Mech fuel pump?
Filter location?
What condition is the inside of the fuel tank, if old filter and carby full of gunk maybe fuel pickup in tank is blocked or restricted
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

alicat

• Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 06:14:12 PM »

caught up with Ant today and we think we may of found the issue (fingers crossed)
Made some art to celebrate with the bevvies - any guesses?

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 03:30:41 PM »

caught up with Ant today and we think we may of found the issue (fingers crossed)
Made some art to celebrate with the bevvies - any guesses?

Well I’m guessing with only two empty stubbies, that you are only half way to fixing the Moke.
Watch out for the Ant!

alicat

• Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 07:30:33 PM »
I will always be fixing the beast!

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 07:38:25 PM »
I will always be fixing the beast!

Well you're certainly not alone there Ali  ::)

So what was it? I see a spark plug and maybe a coil lead?

Presumably (hopefully) that's Dev's old dissy that he destroyed last year that you borrowed a coil lead off, and it didn't come to pulling yours out?

Newie

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 04:36:27 PM »
Well you're certainly not alone there Ali  ::)

So what was it? I see a spark plug and maybe a coil lead?

Presumably (hopefully) that's Dev's old dissy that he destroyed last year that you borrowed a coil lead off, and it didn't come to pulling yours out?

Newie

As the clues were laid out, you are correct on the spark plugs but not the old one photographed.  These are just prop. First call was check resistance on the plug leads, all leads came in with resistance of over 2000 ohms. So they were good!  Checked the rotor and cap, these were new only been driven about 10kms, have the rotor a bit of a clean, as the leading edge was changing colour and finish already.  Also checked the new plugs and the gap on 1 and 4 was tighter than I’d consider ideal, quickly opened these up.  At this point I sent Ali out for a quick test drive up the street and back, it sounded a little better but far from where I would expect it to be.
Then it hit me, I mentioned earlier to Ali, “please make sure I check that new coil lead!” 
So I checked the coil lead and could only get 514 ohms of resistance. So Newie was correct, I grabbed my new 123 coil, I have ready to put the in the AA, when I can get a clean ignition circuit back into him. Still got his ignition ‘hot wired’ after removing the immobiliser, that the water destroyed.
Off this coil we grabbed  a good coil lead off Ali went. Just from the sound as she went out the driveway, I knew she’d be happy and Ali was all smiles on her return.

So after treating her Moke to an electrical upgrade a couple of weeks ago, new dizzy cap, new rotor, new plugs and five new leads. It only took a week for the coil lead to break down and give her all this grief.

Good to see her using the Moke every day and it now ready for a summer of fun.

Cheers

Dev.
Watch out for the Ant!