Author Topic: Clutch slow to disengage  (Read 774 times)

Pete74

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Clutch slow to disengage
« on: September 13, 2018, 10:45:42 AM »
Hi All,

Took my moke to the local mechanic to bleed brakes and clutch, as I was having issues with spongy brakes. Since then the clutch is building good pressure. However, after a couple of gear changes, the clutch only presses half way down. It goes into gear fine but when the clutch is released, the clutch takes a few seconds to disengage. Rather scary when your building speed and engine just revs. After a couple seconds the gears lock in and away I go. Seems like the pressure is not releasing in time. Any thoughts? Also I noticed that the clutch disengages very high now. Used to be just off the floor. IS now almost at top of pedel travel.

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
Re: Clutch slow to disengage
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 01:04:14 PM »
Was the mechanic skilled in Moke/Mini mechanicals?

I don't know the answer to your problem but a couple of things to check under the bonnet
1. do you have the return spring from clutch lever to slave cylinder fitted?
2. do you have correct clearance between clutch arm and the stop, you should be able push the clutch arm a smidge away from the stop.
3. are the 2 nuts on the big bolt that clutch arm pivots on adjusted correctly?

1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Pete74

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 03:29:48 PM »
Hi moemoke,

They were just my local ultra tune. I was having trouble getting all the air out of the brake lines. Got them to bleed the clutch at the same time, just incase. I quickly checked the adjustment on the side of road and it looked ok. About 20 thou clearance on clutch stop. Yes spring is on but I am wondering if maybe it is the wrong spring, maybe it is not strong enough.

"are the 2 nuts on the big bolt that clutch arm pivots on adjusted correctly?"
Not sure what you mean by this.

However, I just took a look and gave the spring a wiggle and it does feel very soft, considering it needs to counter the hydraulic pressure of the slave cylinder. Might try and get a new spring first.

Thanks for your help.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 06:56:59 PM »
Hi,

I would suggest you pry the slave cylinder dust boot back and see if there is fluid in the boot or dripping out. The piston in the slave could be working in a new position and fluid is weeping past the seal.

Also look for fluid around the bleed nipple on the back of the slave cylinder or around the fitting going into the Master.

Terry

Pete74

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 08:45:59 AM »
Hi Terry,

There is a small amount of fluid in the boot of the slave cylinder. I'll grab a new seal kit while I'm at it.
Thanks for the extra suggestion.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 08:39:52 PM »
Hi,

if the clutch slave is a fairly new looking shiny metal like coating then it is likely to be a fairly new part and in my experience I seem to replace them within a few years so they might not justaccept a new seal. One way to check if it is an old or new slave is if the bleed nipple needs a 7/16(early) or 10mm(new) spanner to turn it. With the new ones it is quicker just to replace them.

If you like getting your fingers dirty I remove them from the car, dismantle the slave and clean everything in methylyated spirits and with a very fine wet and dry paper in the metho, lightly rub the bore to remove any marks or build up and then wash with clean metho and re-assemble using the same seal. I have had more success with the older slave cylinders doing this than the new ones.

Terry

Pete74

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 08:55:00 AM »
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the tip. It is an older type. Just having to finish a reno at home, but I'll pull it apart and try your suggestion. I like trying to do it all myself.

Cheers.

Pete

SaharaDust

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 10:43:35 AM »
Pete74,

"pressure not releasing in time"  My experience it has been the flexible hose between bulkhead and clutch slave swelling on the inside and fluid is slow to move.

Off topic.  Same thing has happened to rear brake hose between sub frame and trailing arm.   How to identify -  bleed rear brakes.

cheers

Pete74

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 02:05:00 PM »
SaharaDust,

Might be an idea for me to replace the hose also. Not much I haven't replaced under the hood, so I might as well get rid of all the old.

Thanks

Pete74

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 01:40:24 PM »
Just pulled the clutch slave off and the small leak in the dust cover is part fluid part rust. I have ordered a new slave hose and spring. Will update if all works once changed over.