Author Topic: Moke shell - no VIN, what to do with it??  (Read 767 times)

OCK66K

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Moke shell - no VIN, what to do with it??
« on: September 28, 2018, 05:58:53 AM »
So I picked up this bare shell to use as parts for my '78 Moke, but realised that the areas of rust are in the exact same spots  ::)

This has got me thinking about what to do with it now - is it salvageable? How big a problem is the missing VIN?
Or perhaps I should just turn it into a trailer / garden ornament  ;D

My Moke knowledge is rather limited but I'm guessing that it might be an early big wheeler, judging from the tail light holes and guard extensions. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Moke shell - no VIN, what to do with it??
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »
Hi,

check to see if there is a body number stamped into the front edge of the cross member where the drivers seats was. Up until 1974 the number of the radiator shroud was also stamped there.

Terry

OCK66K

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 01:01:20 AM »
Hi Terry, thanks for the tip.

Checked all around that cross member and no sign of a number! Looks like this shell will shortly be meeting with Mr A. Grinder

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 08:40:38 AM »
Hi,

that body is a long way from deserving a meeting with Mr Grinder and just missing the VIN is no reason to give up on it. It varies slightly in different states but if you go to your registration agency and show them the body they can issue special VIN number for the body and that is then legal to get registered.

The body suggests it is around 1970 so the number was stamped under the seat and they can be difficult to find sometimes if you are not exactly sure what you are looking for, but it will be there.

Terry

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 08:51:13 AM »
I think it is salvageable as well, looks pretty straight.
I tried looking for a picture of the cross member and stamping but couldnt find one in the gallery.
The shell I have is a '66 model, but it would take me hours to drag everything out of it to try and get a pic.
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.