Author Topic: Difficult to start when warm  (Read 774 times)

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Difficult to start when warm
« on: September 29, 2018, 01:56:12 PM »
Ive been having trouble for a while with the moke giving difficulty starting after I've been running for a while. Starts okay from cold, but I get somewhere and stop for a bit it refuses to fire up immediately. Most embarrassing when I had the rego inspection done and dusted, and it wouldn't go until after several minutes of trying. Not sure if it's electrical or not. I have a new solenoid, with the button underneath, that I could fit but not sure if that would help.  :-\
1980 Moke Californian 1275 - The minibeast

Yellow Mokes Rule!

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Difficult to start when warm
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 02:13:22 PM »
Hi,

sounds like fuel issue to me, possibly flooding.

Next time it happens, put the accelerator hard to the floor when you are turning the engine over and if nothing happens slowly bring your foot back up.

Terry

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 08:27:09 AM »
Well I braved a run to work today as there is no rain forecast  ::)
Sydney peak hour traffic, all going well in the fog until I was approaching the Pacific Highway. Not sure if I stalled or it cut out, but the minibeast stopped. Of course I couldn't get it started. After some honking from irate drivers, 2 knights gave me a push, uphill a couple of metres, and into the side street with a nice down slope and I clutch started it back to life. When I got to work, I checked the engine bay. There was a bit of oil leak from the 3rd spark plug from the left. Fuel filter full. Had a go at starting  a few times and it sprang to life each time.

The other thing I've noticed is when you start it up. It used to be that you turned the key away from you, engine starts and you let the key spring back. For a while it has been that I need to let the key spring back and then it starts. So I am always having to guess a bit at when is the right time to let the key go for it to fire up.

As Newie said somewhere, moke events are the time when repairs, improvements and fixes get done to our mokes.

Yellow Mokes Rule!

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 08:43:10 AM »
Seems like the contacts in your ignition switch are corroded Mellow.
Was the starter motor turning the engine over when you failed to proceed near the Highway?
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 08:55:41 AM »
Seems like the contacts in your ignition switch are corroded Mellow.
Was the starter motor turning the engine over when you failed to proceed near the Highway?
HP
Hi HP, I'm not sure about the starter motor turning the engine over, I was a bit flustered at the time with cars going around me and honking. Suffice to say I had the normal "whirring" (not the right word) noise but would not kick over. Down the hill, no probs.

As for the ignition switch, I guess I need to take off the steering wheel shroud and clean up any connections on the ignition barrel. Although my moke lives in a garage out of the weather, it can be quite humid.

Mellow
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:57:54 AM by mellowyellow »

Yellow Mokes Rule!

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 01:10:06 PM »
The contacts are inside the ign switch which I don't think can be cleaned. You may need a new ign switch.

Theory is that if you have a heavy keyring it wears out the contacts and you end up with the symptoms you have now.
had the same problem in Dynky but a newer switch fixed it, for now!
1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 03:10:08 PM »
Thanks Moemoke,
Would I need an full ignition switch for a 2 stalk column, or just the ignition barrel?
I will lighten the key ring as well.

Yellow Mokes Rule!

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 08:33:33 PM »
I had a look at the ignition switch today. Stuffed if I can see how it would come off the steering column if I were to replace it as there doesn't seem to be any screw heads or bolt heads to undo where it seems to be bolted on. So I have searched the forum for pics and other peoples fixes. I did pull of the bottom of the switch but there is just a flat round metal part with a central hole which seems to connect onto some ind of square "bolt" inside the barrel part. I also had a look at Mokewerx and got some ideas. As usual, time is against me for getting spares before Tuesday.

Plan is to put graphite powder down the key hole to loosen things up there. A bit of reading also points to pushing the key in as I turn it over to get a better connection. I have a solenoid with a button which I got at my first roundup when I did lots of clutch starts. It shouldn't be too hard to fit swapping wires to the same spots from one to the other. As I understand it, a push of the button will kick it over and get it running.

If all else fails, I'll be at the roundup in a HiLux.

Yellow Mokes Rule!

77Devil

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 09:30:31 PM »
Hi Mellow,
Yes the push botton starter will allow you to crank the engine from the engine bay, however if your problems are as a result of a worn ignition switch. This worn switch may not be allowing a strong current into your ignition circuit and therefore causing your engine to loose ignition.
If needed I can express post a spare ignition barrel, up to Austin’s Park, to be fitted by the fix it crew next week. Pretty sure I’ve got a spare barrel and key in my shed. Unless someone close, has one.

Cheers

Dev

p.s.  what year is your moke
The Angry Ant has overcome 77Devil.
Watch out for the Ant!

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 10:15:09 PM »
Well that's a coincidence. I had a spare until last week, when I swapped it over for my own faulty one  ::). Mind you, I had the spare sitting on my shelf because mine has been dodgy for quite some time, so I knew this day would come - and of course it came a couple of weeks before a Round Up  ::). Better than during the event anyway.

The reason you can't see how to get it off Mellow, is that they have anti tamper screws in them so that car thieves can't get them off easily either (didn't know you had high security anti-theft features on your Moke did you  ;) ;D)

I got mine out by drilling them and removing the screws with a screw extractor. As Dev has already offered on our behalf, we'd be happy to do that for you at the Round Up. Your push button solenoid should be enough to get you here and is easy to  switch over, as you've already suggested. It will work so long as you turn your switch to the ON position first (so your dash lights come on).

Newie

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 11:21:27 PM »
Thanks Dev and Newie,
I'll duck down to my local mini and moke place tomorrow to see if they have a replacement ignition barrel. I've also been reading up on replacing these. Newie, also been learning about how the ends of the nuts shear off on the ignition switch assembly.

Thanks for the offer Dev, I'll let you know if I can't get the part. My moke is a 1980.

Forum to the rescue...again  ;)

Yellow Mokes Rule!

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 08:24:40 AM »
To remove the sheared off bolts I have used a sharp center punch and tap the bolt a bit off center anti clock wise.
Once I had to cut a slot in the head and then use an impact screw driver to get them loose.
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 10:12:04 AM »
This morning I scored a new ignition switch assembly. Unable to get just the barrel. I'm going to have a go at the wiring, looks like it should just plug in, and getting things going and leave the old one in place for the moment. If it works, I can then have a go at removing the old bolts and moving the new one to the column. I also have to deal with an imobiliser, but no great loss if I have to disconnect it as it only has one remote. Worst case scenario, is I have two ignition switches, one under the glove box that works, and one on the stalk that doesn't.
Here goes... 8)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 12:32:06 PM by mellowyellow »

Yellow Mokes Rule!

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 11:40:34 AM »
Don’t forget to leave the key in the old ignition switch and turn it to the on position, might be a tad embarrassing driving off only the find the steering wheel is locked  :-[
HP

mellowyellow

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 12:30:42 PM »
Thanks HP, didn't think of that.
Well we have ignition!!  :) Also still have an imobiliser and working 12V sockets. The 12V sockets have been spliced into the brown wire, so I won't mess with that just now. That's where the GPS plugs in, and phone chargers etc.
The new switch will go here...roughly, with some padding and cable ties to keep things snug.

Just need to add some extra solder to one of the wires, as it slipped out easily.
Now to find where I put the push button solenoid.  ???

Yellow Mokes Rule!