Author Topic: What's my head?  (Read 485 times)

Backoftheshed

• Standard
  • Registered Member

What's my head?
« on: October 13, 2018, 11:41:18 AM »
Hi Everyone,

This is my head, dug out of the Moke bits in the shed.
The only markings I can see say ecam. What are the 4 bolts sticking out of the front for? It doesn't look exactly 'factory' to me and I'm wondering if the previous owner chucked something out and just blocked up the holes.
I'm also trying to get an idea of valve recession? Ive seen other pics on the forum which would suggest its not too bad?

Cheers
Chris

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: What's my head?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 12:28:54 PM »
Hi,

it is a 998 anti-pollution head and the four bolts are filling up the holes where the pipes used to go. It is nothing special and very common on the later engines.

Terry

Backoftheshed

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 02:38:06 PM »
Thanks Terry,

Question is, what pipes?

I'm wondering what Im going to have to do to eventually get the engine through a RWC.

I've found what I remember I had on another car (non moke) as a 'charcoal canister, for the fuel tank vapors. I don't have a book that goes up to the 79 models so need to ascertain what should be connected where to keep the box tickers happy.... eventually...

Cheers
Chris

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 05:17:56 PM »
By '79 they had gone a bit overboard on the anit pollution gear.

The pipes were connected to an elaborate pump system which was driven off the fan belt and mainly served to suck some of the precious few horses out of the engine. As Terry says, there are a lot of those heads out there which would all have had that set up on them, but I've only ever seen photos of it - I've never seen one in a road going Moke. Everyone took them out many years ago and I've never heard of anyone getting picked up on it for a roadworthy, and I'm in NSW - the nanny state  ::)

It would have had a charcoal canister too and they may make you put it back, which isn't too hard and doesn't really hurt other than cluttering up your engine bay, but most people get away without them too these days.

Newie

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 09:15:30 PM »
Hi,

I recently removed the anti pollution gear of a Moke recently, a complete set up, but I had to use the ugly bolts like in the picture below because I was short on time.

However I have the local bolt place trying to get me a price on a box of Grub screws the right size so I if/when they come through I will have some extras that I will be wanting to sell.

You probably wont need to fit the charcoal canister either if you plumb it up right so that there are no pipes venting to the outside.

Terry

Backoftheshed

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 01:24:42 PM »
Thanks guys.

I found a few more Mini manuals in a box I hadn't unpacked from when we moved to the farm. There's one for up to 1976 and that has a section on the stuff you guys mention.
The canister, bracket and hoses are there, so I don't really care if it has to go back in, after all, it might give me a power boost if a few stray fuel vapors got sucked into the carby..  ;D
Air pump, 'injectors' and all the rest seems to have long gone. There are some crude pipes, clamps and bolts/screws shoved into holes on the carby blocking them off.
The air cleaner is incomplete though, its missing the 'nose' and associated valves. Its plastic and seems a bit sloppy as a fit together assembly, but I guess until I attach to the carby in the future, I wont really know.

Do you guys reckon the valves look ok as far as depth in the head? I've not got anything to compare them to as far as VSR is concerned..

On the plus side, I started going through other boxes of bits, in particular for the engine as I wasn't the one who removed the head and found everything except for one of the dished washers that clamp the rocker cover on. There was no attempt to keep the pushrods sorted for them to go back to their original homes unfortunately.

On a side note to the head, can I ask how to determine the piston sizes (other than measuring)? The burnt one is out and has coding on it, but no suggestion of something like a 20 thou oversize stamping that Ive seen on other pistons in the past..

Terry when you get those grub screws, let me know, I'd be interested as the bolts really do look dodgy..

Thanks for the replies once again,

Chris