Author Topic: cardb needle size for stage 1 tune  (Read 285 times)

Pete74

• Standard
  • Registered Member

cardb needle size for stage 1 tune
« on: October 13, 2018, 07:39:05 PM »
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows what size carb needle I might need.
I have a HS4 1/2" carb. I have installed a water heated inlet manifold and extractors(LCB), imported from UK.
Engine is a 998. Currently The standard needle is in it. When accelerating, it coughs a bit but pickup is very sluggish.
I assume I need to put in a richer needle but i have no idea about what are available and which might be the best option.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: cardb needle size for stage 1 tune
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 09:17:29 PM »
Hi,

have you pulled out the needle that is in there and checked what letters it has on it to make sure it is in fact a standard one?

Do you have the spring under the 'bell' and oil in the dashpot? If not either of those can cause the symptoms you describe.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Pete74

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 10:10:29 PM »
Hi Terry,

No I haven't pulled out the needle yet. Didn't know what I was looking for.
I'll pop it out tomorrow and take a look. There is oil in the dash pot and the spring is in place.
Interestingly, when I try to check the setting with the little lift pin, there is no change in revs at all.

I'll check the needle first and see what I have.

Thanks

Pete74

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 11:56:22 AM »
Terry,

Got the needle removed but there is no number on the top. Just a single dot.

Pete74

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 11:57:10 AM »
Still can't get the hang of adding images.
You can find it in my gallery.
https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view&id=15358

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 12:47:15 PM »
Hi,

If you look closely at the surface under the 'hat' you should be able to see the letters, something like ADF is pretty common, stamped into the surface.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Pete74

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 01:48:06 PM »
Ah,

It was hidden under some black build up. Little rubbing alcohol got it off.

"ADF" is what i have.

Pete

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 05:34:21 PM »
Hi,

ADF is the right needle for a 998 in general but there is can be a bit of a black art around getting the right needle set up for an engine and it tends to be a bit of trial and error in my observations and experience.

Before worrying about finding another needle, try putting it back together and with the Choke out a little bit see if you can get rid of that flat spot or couching you mention. It could be a the symptom of running a bit lean and by pulling the choke out just a bit it is a quick way to see if adding more fuel is going to help.

The no change in revs when lifting the adjusting pin suggests there is something else wrong in your set up. MAybe post up some photos when you have it back together.

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Pete74

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 06:17:54 PM »
Couple pics in my gallery.
I'll try take it for a run tonight if I get a chance and let you know how I get on.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 06:58:46 PM by Terry »

Pete74

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 06:28:30 PM »
Just read some links Maddog posted re fuel and electrical issues. Someone suggests that ngk6ES is the plug to use. I am running BP5ES and my plugs do look quite black. They were fouled when I recently had starting troubles. Cleaned them up and it starts great.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 07:01:41 PM »
Hi,

the NGK BP6ES is the one recommended in their catalogue but some people suggest running the BP5ES to help with burning excess oil in older engines so the fact you are getting build up on the 5's also suggest something else might be amiss.

try some 6ES and let us know how you go.

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Incogneato

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 07:05:10 PM »
Pete

Sounds like it could do with a good carby clean & a kit put thru it. The NGK5 plugs would burn hottter, so being very black would mean it is running far too rich. The NGK6 plugs would normally be sooty black, if it is running well.

Good luck

Alan.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:15:39 PM by Incogneato »

Pete74

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 06:11:49 PM »
Hi All.

Well I finally got the little guy running. I ended up replacing the spark plug cables, as they were resting o the grill. Put some nice right angle leads on, which fitt nice and clear the grill perfectly. It started up and was still running rough. I then read the SU tuning manual again, after which I realised that I was not filling the dash pot enough. Topped it up as per documentation and away we went. Still running a bit rich but I can fiddle with that. Just did a short run along the coast, and it runs great. Noticed my speedo not working and breaks are a bit "how do you do". I think the master cylinder has a minor weep, which would be enough to soften my brakes.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice. It all helps. Terry, I now know a little more about the SU carb.

Thanks and happy mokin'