Author Topic: replacement front suspension  (Read 215 times)

technosausage

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    maturity is a choice
replacement front suspension
« on: November 02, 2018, 08:11:34 PM »
Hey everyone.
Its been years since i used this forum but its time to get my moke going again.
It looks like ive located a 1098 engine at the local wrecker and when i put it in i figured id redo the front suspension.
Donuts need replacing so im assuming ill also need hi-los. Which brings me to the question, will mini hi-los fit or are there specific moke ones that i will have to buy?
Will i even need hi-los or can i reuse the cones?
Will i need a special copression tool if i drop the whole subframe out the bottom?

Thanks, Jesse.

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
Re: replacement front suspension
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 09:18:58 AM »
Welcome back Jesse, your profile has been returned so you can acces everything again.
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

technosausage

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    maturity is a choice
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 09:31:32 AM »
Thanks HP. Its good to be back

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 06:57:12 PM »
Hi,

the hi-los are the same for Minis and Mokes and it is possible to get the top arm fitted without using the special tool, but it does make it a lot easier, if you have some lever or crow bars and a spare pair of hands. However if you are not careful things can let go so make sure you or your helpers fingers are not anywhere they can get caught or you will only be able to count to nine.

The 'hi-los' allow you to adjust the ride height and compensate for compression of the donut over time but it is not a case of one or the other other. The donut is what provides the variable suspension travel, the spring in most other cars, so whether you use an adjustable strut or not, you should replace the donut if it is flat and worn out.

You can remove your current engine, do the suspension while it is out and then fit the 1098. You don't have to remove the subframe to fit the engine.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

technosausage

• Standard
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    maturity is a choice
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 10:30:39 PM »
Oh awesome. That does sound like the preferred method. I couldnt imagine that sub frame coming off easily. I have found a few cheap hi-los around. Hopefully what i save i can spend on a compression tool.