Author Topic: Fuse box and how are headlights/parkers fused.  (Read 222 times)

davidaustin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Fuse box and how are headlights/parkers fused.
« on: December 05, 2018, 11:48:20 AM »
The following is my understanding of how it works.

The fuse box has a switched side and an unswitched side, i.e, when the ignition switch is OFF, only the horn and headlights/parkers will work, and when the ignition switch is ON the indicators, etc work.

What I don't understand is how and where are the headlights/parkers fused (which fuse in the fuse box) as they can be turned ON with the ignition switch in the OFF position.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Fuse box and how are headlights/parkers fused.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 02:30:22 PM »
Hi,

short answer is they are not fused until you get to 1980+ were the parking lights were fused with a little inline one just near the horn.

The big/fat//heavier/6mm brown wire comes off the battery terminal on the solenoid and it goes around to the headlight switch in the dash which then goes out and a small red for parkers and heavy blue wire across to the switch on the stalk. Sometimes it can come off the fuse box on the same terminal that feeds the power in, so again it is un fused.

The switched side of the fuse box, mostly the green wires, is in play when the Key is in IGN or AUX position.

The unswitched side is not influenced by the position of the Key at all, it is simply power in from the battery going through a fuse and out to the things that need it like the Horn. Depending on how things are wired the Ignition switch itself can get its power from this side of the fuse box but it will not be going through the fuse, again we are talking big brown wire.

And to clear it up or make it worse, anything with a big Brown 6mm wire is always live and unfused. Any wires with a singe colour(no trace) is connecting the battery to the switch, anything with a trace is from the switch to the appliance or load, i.e. lights.

Terry

Anything with a

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

davidaustin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 12:30:41 AM »
Why were'nt the headlights/parkers fused in the early Mokes?

I know other marques have a fuse in the switch. I think it is a bi-metal fuse and if it fails it will work intermittently so your lights will go ON/OFF. I am guessing this was a safety feature.

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 06:35:36 AM »
Way back (50 years ago) when i did my apprenticeship i remember being told that headlights were not fused because the fuse could fail at anytime leaving you literally "in the dark".  Not fun on a narrow twisty road at night.

Dave

davidaustin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 07:13:15 PM »
I think you are correct, hence the bi-metal fuses in switches in some marques which would allow the lights (and wipers) to come on intermittently to get you home.