Author Topic: Finished resto today  (Read 551 times)

davidaustin

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Finished resto today
« on: December 11, 2018, 09:23:51 PM »
Today I finished my Moke restoration - nearly 2 years, but I did wait quite a while for the panel shop work to be finished and some mechanical work I could not do myself. I had a new wiring loom made (very happy with the result) and the front and rear ends re-built with new parts, including new brakes and brake lines (again happy with the result).

I bought many new parts along the way - some genuine NOS parts and after market/non-genuine parts. I sourced most of the genuine NOS parts from overseas and the non-genuine parts from "well known" Mini suppliers in Australia.

To be frank, the non-genuine parts were mediocre in quality, in many cases the parts were either slightly too small, too big, or marginally different to the original parts. This situation caused delays in the resto as I needed to make numerous adjustments to make many of the parts fit.

As I mentioned, poor quality was an issue too - for example, I bought new after market rubber headlight buckets which perished around the edges before the car was even driven.

My advice - always seek out genuine NOS parts, even if you pay more and may need to look overseas.

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Finished resto today
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 10:13:59 AM »
Hi,

good to hear you have finished your Moke, but really are Mokes ever finished, there is always something more to do with them.

Do we get to see pictures of the finished product?

Terry