Author Topic: NSW blue slip.. is it really so bad?  (Read 1028 times)

BRU

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

NSW blue slip.. is it really so bad?
« on: January 12, 2019, 10:25:17 PM »
Hey all.. I’ve always believed the rumours that having an older vehicle go through the pits to get blue slip in NSW is fraught with challenges but I’ve never been through it myself.. is it true?

I’m in the market for a Moke and given I’d need to get it blue slipped if it’s out of rego for 3+ months or brought in from out of state, I’m finding my options too restricted..

Am I worrying too much? Ultimately I’m worried I’ll drop a decent amount of money on what I think is “the right” Moke for me (see my other post linked below) but then end up with a long expensive list of stuff to fix before I can enjoy it..

What do you reckon?  :-\

My wtb post: https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?topic=13663.0;topicseen

yellaterra

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: NSW blue slip.. is it really so bad?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 11:11:18 PM »
BRU  any. Old car will have some little defect found during inspections for blue slips. It goes with the territory of inspectors power to rule.  However. If you find a moke you like at a price you can afford ask the seller to supply a current vehicle inspection certificate. Rock in Victoria. Most inspections are legit these days as the come back on the inspecting business is not worth the risk to them to make a bad call. As long as you are happy with the rwc is good you will have a reasonable idea of what needs attention before you attend your blue slip inspection.  If you buy a going moke then get a current rwc. If you by a fixer up moke then you will be the one to make it ready for its inspection. You need to choose which moke you want first. One going in or one needing work. Each one has a cost after choice.

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 10:27:20 AM »
Looking at your other thread on the type of Moke you are considering (or at least the type people are suggesting) it seems like you are prepared to spend enough money to hopefully avoid the usual Blue Slip defect fails of rust, poor brakes, worn suspension etc, although you need to be careful that you don't end up with them even with the higher priced Mokes.

For $15K plus, I would be surprised and suspicious if the seller isn't prepared to provide a local roadworthy cert, however this is certainly no guarantee that it will pass a Blue Slip. A Pink Slip (the regular NSW annual roadworthy certificate) is far easier to get a vehicle through and other states are much more complacent about certain aspects than NSW is.

Non standard modifications are a big trap when it comes to registering an interstate vehicle. Things that are OK in Qld or Vic, may still pass in NSW, but often only after expensive engineers reports have been obtained. Things like Mod Plates for extra seats, non-factory seats, roll bars, non standard engines etc are worthless in NSW. You may well need engineers certificates for all of these things and more. Interstate sellers often won't have them, as they don't need to produce them when renewing rego in their home state. Even if they do, you would need to find out if they are acceptable to the NSW authorities.

For this reason, you're probably better off looking for something as standard as possibleif looking at ex NSW vehicles and look hard at rust (a VERY common Moke problem - and a lot of inspectors know that, so will be looking), brakes, oil leaks and suspension.

That said, a lot of reasonably good Mokes for sale do need brakes and suspension overhauled anyway, which isn't such a bad thing as if you do it yourself, you know they're right - just so long as you know that before you buy, so that you can factor it in.

They can be a tricky vehicle for a newbie to assess, as the suspension is fairly unique and reasonably good Moke brakes will feel very ordinary to someone who's used to driving modern vehicles.

Newie

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 11:09:26 AM »
I would be surprised and suspicious if the seller isn't prepared to provide a local roadworthy cert ...,

In many cases there can be nothing really wrong with the Moke itself to get it past inspection but the seller has made the decision to sell the car and they don't have the time or desire to go through the process of getting up to inspection standard. In NSW you have regular inspection ins Vic and Qld it only gets inspected when it changes hands so in same cases the car can be registered but would never pass a inspection without thousands of dollars being spent on it. I have two Mokes here that fall into that category where the owners asked me to get them ready for RWC but they are buckets of rust needing a full strip down.

I tend to agree with Newie, get something in NSW, more because you can go and kick the tyres and look for yourself and take a friend/mechanic for a second opinion or if it is interstate get someone independent to look at it, don't just rely on the seller opinion. I have been and looked at a few for other people where the sellers descriptions was not of the car I was looking at.

Terry

yellaterra

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 03:08:47 PM »
Hey Bru.  I agree with newie and terry but dont limit your choices to just nsw. If you want one take your list of desired options and a mate mech minded good and do a field trip. Yes you need to sit in it feel it look at it and drive it first or at least ride in it. Each moke is different and some have a personality that is rare but its your money being invested for family enjoyment. Unless your going to rebuild your own moke then invest some off your effort to put your bum in it. I feel you dont really want to totally build one but purchase a going one requires some effort by you to aquire it. Your moke is out there. Just get serious and look. Happy mokin

BRU

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 09:37:36 PM »
Thanks Yellaterra and everyone as always for your thoughts!

I’m in no rush and will definitely take the time and effort to see as many as I can and drive them where possible.. looking at that one of Matt’s (Ian’s build) really opened my eyes to what might be available if I broaden the net outside NSW..

I guess the main point is do as much due diligence as possible and ultimately take the leap! Whichever way it goes, there’s always an element of risk I suppose..