Author Topic: Moke Gear Stick Replacement  (Read 655 times)

LukeMcD

• Past or Inactive member
  • Registered Member

Moke Gear Stick Replacement
« on: February 07, 2019, 08:35:37 AM »
Hi Mokers,
          I'm new here so bare with me. I can't even find the gallery tab to add an image. (Any guidance there appreciated).

My question is about my gear stick. I recently bought what appears to be a 74 Leyland Mini. The guy i bought it off tells me the gear stick is not the right one for this model and therefore it won't go into reverse. I hope this is the case and i don't need to rebuild the box. It seems right as there are 4 different types of gear box and the stick is from a Californian and my Mokes a 2 seater.

So can anyone confirm this could be the case?

Where is best place to buy a new stick ? (Preferably a shorter one for easier use)

I was mechanic in a previous life but any tips on fitting new stick would be appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. I may sell this Moke if my work situation doesn't change soon. It's body is in great condition and its mechanically sound. Unregistered and unroadworthy as is $8k. Photo's once i find gallery. (lol)

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Moke Gear Stick Replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 11:53:15 AM »
Hi,

I can't say I have heard the 'different gearstick' is why it wont go into reverse.

It can be as simple as the cover plate on the bottom of the remote change is upside down or has been spun around the wrong way that is blocking reverse selection. There is also the reverse light switch which goes into the side of the remote change that if it has been screwed in too far will stop reverse from being selected. Both easy things to climb under the car and check, remove the plate and/or remove the reverse light switch and see what happens.

You should be able to see the gallery now as you have the right access.

If it does turn out to be the wrong stick, then www.minisplus.com.au are just up the road from you and they would have some second hand one I think.

Terry
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:54:51 AM by Terry »

matpaul

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 12:51:47 PM »
Was it not part of the design (before the bottom of all the gearsticks wore out?) that you had to lift the stick before moving it over to the right and selecting reverse?
Cheers,
Mathew.

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 04:34:25 PM »
If it has one of those "quick shift" levers, with the big alloy knob and the lift for reverse ring under it has come loose, it wont select reverse either.  Just pull your knob and shifter out and tighten your ring thing, easy fix.  I wouldn't do it in public though.