austmoke

Author Topic: Fitting My new Engine  (Read 376 times)

cheezle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Fitting My new Engine
« on: February 23, 2019, 08:58:10 AM »
Hi All
Im ready to fit my engine , there has been a lot of water under the bridge sense it was removed,
Is it best to get all the radiator mounted to the engine before I fit
Im going to fit extractors would you sit them in first or is it easy enough to bolt them in later, I haven't brought them yet
Im restoring my moke and now going to fit the engine with no experience of ever fitting a engine to a moke please drop any hints what i need to look out for or what I should have bolted on before it goes in
I need to order new engine mounts I see there is a couple of types what are the best ones to get ?

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

Re: Fitting My new Engine
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 09:50:51 AM »
Hi,

I usually install the radiator attached to the engine as it saves a lot of time, just make sure the lower hose clamp is facing up where you can get at it with limited access and you can get to the bypass hose clamps when it is in the car.

The extractors depend on the type, so something with a join on the vertical part you can put them anytime but I would have them on the engine first. If the joint is down low, below the bottom edge of the subframe or horizontal they are normally best to put in later, as they can foul up as you try to lower the engine into the subframe.

If the subframe is out of the Moke, then putting the engine in the subframe first and then putting the body over the top of the subframe/engine is a good way to go, particularly if you have a nice paint job that you don't want to scratch. There are some pictures here, https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?topic=13664.msg164274#msg164274

I prefer NOT to use the engine mounts with the captive nut or threaded component as they can be difficult to position correctly to get the thread started. I also prefer to drop the bolt in from the engine side so if things come loose the bolt can stop the engine moving too much.

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

cheezle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 08:48:15 AM »
Thank Terry for your tips ,I do have the nice paint job that I don't want to scratch,Im going to sub frame back out its not a big job

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 11:16:58 AM »
Hi,

If the subframe is already you can still lower the engine in. I put old towels all around the edges of the engine bay, leave the manifold off and put some padding around the big nuts coming out of the clutch cover.

If you don't have a hoist, Maddog put up some instructions years ago on how to make a subframe cradle that allows you to angle it as the body is lowered if it is pivoting on the rear wheels, https://www.moke.com.au/in-the-garage/workshop-tools/77-front-subframe-cradle

Terry
I'm not questioning your powers of observation; I'm merely remarking upon the paradox of asking a masked man who he is.

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

T.O.M

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 09:41:00 AM »
The cradle is a great idea.
I found when you are going to use the cradle have the back wheels on car ramps {p.s. strap the wheels to the ramps}seem to make things easier when using it.

T.O.M

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 09:44:18 AM »
Also allows your body trolley if you have one to roll under when engine is out simples.

cheezle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 09:27:20 PM »
Hi all
The engine I have bought is a 1275 and the past engine was a 998, I'm finding it seems to be a endless of small bracket differences , can someone please show me a photo of the front engine stabiliser mount ( left hand side ) from what I have found on the web the radiator mounts are different as well , top one not sure about bottom yet
The joys of modifying
Cheers
Cheezle

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 09:32:15 PM »
Hi,

are you looking for the bracket on the bulkhead or on the block(under the thermo housing)?

On the bulkhead it you have two mounting holes and on the block it is a different bracket all together and for an Export 1275  it is a slightly different bracket again.

Terry

Cujo. 1999 - 2016

Halfpint

• Forum Support Group
  • Registered Member

• MOKE Pilot

• Personal Text
    It's not where you go, it's how you get there !
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 09:47:58 PM »
The 1275 is slightly taller in the block, aprox 1" I believe. Seems minor, but as your seeing, brackets need to be the right ones. Wish I knew which ones were what.
No help I'm afraid, just feeling your pain  :(.
HP
The happiest of people don't always have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 08:12:55 AM »
I have just gone through this, the top radiator bracket you need is for a std 1275, NOT the clubman GT as was sent to me.  The clubman one is too wide. For the bottom one i used my old 998 bracket with no drama.

I fitted an"  Ultimate engine brace kit" it's adjustable for length BUT the poly bushes are way too hard and the adjuster bit is just threaded rod.  I have the 2 hole bulkhead bracket and the correct 1275 thermostat bracket now and i have ordered an adjustable support bar that will take the std bushes.

The 1275 Rad bracket is about $15? the adjustable arm that takes the std bushes was $30 - $40.  If you use the adjustable arm thing you shouldn't need the 1275 bulkhead mount, you will need the thermostat bracket though.

This pic shows the "so called Ultimate engine support" the fuel hose is laying on top of the threaded rod but you get the idea.  The Rad brackets on the left are, the Std bottom one and the Clubman GT one which is too wide by about 20mm.

Cheers

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 08:27:51 AM »
This should show you the brackets,  The thermostat bracket in white and the bulkhead bracket, with the 2 mount holes black.

cheezle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 09:13:10 AM »
Thanks fellow mokers for the feed back ,I can see what I need to do next
When you look on the net for parts it gets a bit confusing as there is a few options ,the PAIN is that each hurdle you try and get over is the week waiting for the parts and are they going to be the wrong ones  ::)
Im going to have a go at putting some photos up ,I haven't had much luck in the past  >:(
Cheers Cheezle

cheezle

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 09:32:00 AM »
Hi all
My top engine support bracket turned up yesterday ,the same as the white one below in Drakmans post , the problem is it hits a head stud, I can grind a bit out but it will make it thin in that area
on my 988 it was below the thermostat housing the photo below looks above ,it all so looks a little different
the other thing that is different on my new1275 is no small bypass hose from the water pump to head ?
has anyone fitted top engine stabilisers out of the UK as they look different and a little less bulky ?

Cheers Cheezle

Drakman

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 01:04:30 PM »
Sounds like you must have a Cooper S/ 11 stud head then.  The white bracket above was modified to fit around the 11 head stud setup, i had to bend up and weld in a new section for it.