Author Topic: Donaldson air cleaner  (Read 580 times)

mokebloke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Donaldson air cleaner
« on: February 24, 2019, 08:24:22 PM »
I see on a few Mokes they have a Donaldson type aircleaner mounted on the front guard. Our Moke is mainly used on dirt roads and I think the original paper element might not be up to the job. When I pull the aircleaner off there is a dirty residue on the intake onto the carb.
What size Donaldson aircleaner do people use? Is there any other sort that would be better than the original?
Any pictures of alternate aircleaners?
Old Fart

mokebloke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

Re: Donaldson air cleaner
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 08:42:59 PM »
Anybody?
Old Fart

winabbey

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 08:58:21 PM »
If you do a forum search on donaldson there's quite a few hits.

As a starter try this - https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?topic=10214

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 10:43:54 PM »
Hi,

I am assuming you have the common plastic filter on the 1.5" carby.

Check that the lid is locked in place and sealing. They are notorious for not being clamped down properly.

There should also be a rubber seal around the 'oval' hole where it rests on the mouth of the carby.

There should also be round rubber seals, like washers, under the two long thread wing nuts that hold the air cleaner in place and one underneath the front thread where it enters the bottom of the air cleaner.

If you have all that in place and still getting dirt, what brand/part number is the air cleaner you are using?

Terry

mokebloke

• Standard
  • Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 03:52:19 PM »
It is an original aircleaner Terry, there are seals under the 2 wingnuts but I don't remember  an o ring under the plastic body of the aircleaner itself. Will have a look when I get home
Old Fart

Terry

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Serial Moke Offender

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 06:25:30 PM »
It is an original aircleaner Terry, there are seals under the 2 wingnuts but I don't remember  an o ring under the plastic body of the aircleaner itself. Will have a look when I get home

The seal on the bottom is an oval shape, not an O ring, like a thick rubber gasket.

Terry

moemoke

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• Personal Text
    Moe, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 10:10:16 PM »
The seal on the bottom is an oval shape, not an O ring, like a thick rubber gasket.

Terry

I noticed on my metal air cleaner (off a Morris 1100) that there is an O ring between the base of the air cleaner
and where the tube on the top fits over the carby and should seal on the O ring.

I have had the dust in the carby problem for a few years and never been able to solve it but had a good look at it on
the weekend and noticed that the base of the air cleaner is a bit wavy and the top tube didn't seem to seal to well on the base
I fitted a spare one I had and it feels like the O ring is sealing better, I'm not sure if the original plastic air cleaner has the same setup.

1976 Moke 1275cc (Dynky),
1976 Moke(Scarlet) current project,
1974 Moke with Suzuki GTI motor (project), 
1975 Moke rust bucket,
1967 Moke rust bucket

Newie

• Custodian
  • Registered Member

• 2022 Moke Round Up www.mokeroundup.com.au

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 08:38:38 AM »
I use the original plastic air cleaner too, and do a lot of dirt roads, although not as many K's as the outback tourers on here.

Considering the amount of dirt roads I do, I was concerned about it too and I looked into it not long after getting the Moke on the road.

What I found was that there are good and bad examples of 40 year old plastic air cleaner housings. I found a good one that clips together securely at the top and has good seals, then for good measure I use a K&N oiled reusable filter element. I don't get any dust on the carby and very happy with the set up. I personally think the Donaldson cleaners are overkill unless you are doing outback trips involving thousands of km on dirt including powdery bulldust outback roads.

The best prevention of all of course, is to stay out of the dust where possible - ie. don't sit in a dust cloud behind the vehicle you're following. If you're regularly doing dirt roads, you probably already know this, but it's something we notice on our Tamworth Round Up runs - it's amazing how many people spend their days choking themselves, their passengers and their vehicles on dust. Some dust is inevitable when travelling dirt roads, but it can certainly be minimised.